Cruiser Smells Funny (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a little family wheeln and campn this weekend. When I served lunch off the tailgate there was a horrible smell coming from the back of the cruiser. I checked my camp stove LP bottles, finally took off the gas cap. It had a lot of pressure, and continued to gurgle, but the smell behind the cruiser went away. Replaced the cap, the smell returned. The smell finally stopped when the cruiser cooled for the night.

Is this normal and I never noticed before.

Jay

Pressure is normal but smell isn't. Does it actually smell gas? And you might as well check if nothing fishy fell on the muffler or exhaust system.

What did you have for lunch - beans? Could be the source of the smell. ;)

In all seriousness - you sure one of your LP bottles wasn't leaking?

It didn't smell like raw gas, thats why I started checking bottles. I actually removed the bottles and sat them away from the vehicle. The only thing that stopped the smell was removing the gas cap.

Jay

Did you check on top of the spare tire, or around the exhaust? Any place pranksters could stash something that would smell the truck up.

Throwing a salmon carcass on top of the spare tire of a friend's truck makes for an excellent prank. Not that I know anything about that.

:cheers:

All new exhaust, no tire under, no fish.

Jay

Did you or anyone in your family rip one?

When my o2's were going bad there was an odd smell, What about the charcoal*sp canister or something plugged/leaking on the fuel return?
Good luck

Brian, This is more in line with what I was wondering, about.

Jay

I have a '96 FZJ 80 and am experiencing the same thing, although not as much from the back as from the back half of the vehicle (strictly on the driver's side). I've poked my head underneath and everything looks normal. No wet spots, etc.
If anyone has any idea, I'd love to hear about it as well.
ps - MPG has also dropped recently but I cannot determine if the two events occurred at the same time.

Jeff Nordeen
Victoria, MN

All new exhaust, no tire under, no fish.

Jay

When I had my exhaust re-hung the rubber mounts on the hangers melted and burnt, it stunk alright. Check out the hanger right behind the cats.

I took it back and had them use a different style of hanger.

This is fuel related.
Ginericfj80 recently started having the same problem while we were in Colorado last week.

Jay

Brian, This is more in line with what I was wondering, about.

Jay

when the o2 sensor in my 4Runner went south the truck would smell like sulfur/ rotten eggs when giving it any significant gas. It was particularly noticeable when the back window was rolled down because it was definitely coming from the exhaust tip.

This does it even when the truck is not running. Pull the cap when things are warm and you can see a vapor trail 2 feet from the truck.

Jay

sounds like plugged vapor line maybe.
I fought this for years on my 96. Ruptured three? gas tanks in exact same spot causing fuel leak. Finally traced problem to clogged vent line. Take a peek at bottom of charcoal can. Vent tube routes from there to front frame rail where there is a metal fitting which vents into frame rail. Mine was rusted shut. Too many dunkings/salty winter roads I guess. Probably not a problem until you remove front bumper, and expose front rails... Clean it out or replace.

hope this helps

cruiserland,

This sounds like the right direction. Was the smell around the tailgate, even with the vent plugged up front. My 80 did come form Salt Lake area, the land of much rust.

Thanks, Jay

I know you said you smelled it in the back, but if it smells like gas you might want to look on the other end of the car ( the engine). Look for any leaks near or on the intake manifold, you might have the case of a bad injector!

If it smelled like sulfur (rotten eggs) it is the catalytic converter. Doesn't mean it is bad--they all do that when they get really hot. If it went away after it cooled down, that should have been it. Just glanced through the replies though so I may have missed someone else posting that.

It's a real sweet smell. Definitely vapor off-gassing.

I like the idea of the plugged vapor line Jay. When was the last time you ran a fuel injector cleaner through it? Changed your air filter? Plugs?

Butch

It's a real sweet smell. Definitely vapor off-gassing.

I like the idea of the plugged vapor line Jay. When was the last time you ran a fuel injector cleaner through it? Changed your air filter? Plugs?

Butch

Plugs and air filter, 3months
Fuel filter, less than a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom