Cruiser shower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Well I'm working on a new shower setup and have purchased a heat exchanger. I'm trying to get an idea of flow (GPM) I could expect on the heater coolant line running out of the block an into the heater on a 2F. I know my coolant temps are going to be around 180-200 degrees. But I cannot find specs on the coolant system.

Here is what I'm working on.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=65728

Last edited:
Off topic:

How did you get the background in your link to show up tan and not black? Lots easier on the eyes :cool:

On topic:

Anxious to hear how this all comes out. Any reason you are building one and not just purchasing the Heaton ones?

Well the heat exchanger works very well. I ended up mounting it permanent. It has both Hot and Cold water output. I ran it last night and at 1500 rpm it pumped out some really hot water at 3GPM. I'm fabbing up the shower part tonight. It consists of a CPVC hot and cold water valves with a Shower head attached above. It will mount right onto the left side of the cruiser. And the shower enclosure will mount to the rock sliders with everything being compact and folding up. Just wanted to say the heat exchanger works really well for such a small package.

IMG_4839.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

All in all it ran me about 200$

Well it has been a while and I forgot to post the rest and actually get some real temp #'s. So I tried it out today armed with a temp guage a cooler full of ice water and a camera.

pump is 3.5 gpm

cooler water temp engine rpm output temp

60 800 85
60 1200 95
60 1800 110
40 800 65
40 1200 85
40 1800 100

All of thes #'s were with the hot all the way on (3gpm)

At about 2 gpm I could get 125.

Pics

IMG_4846.jpg

1247921-IMG_6080.jpg

1247921-IMG_6084.jpg

1247921-IMG_6085.jpg

Setup takes about 1 minute.

1247921-IMG_6087.jpg

It all stores nicely. Except for the hose. I'm planning on getting a flat collapseable hose so it will be a little more compact.
1247921-IMG_6089.jpg

1247921-IMG_6092.jpg

CopyofIMG_4843.jpg
CopyofIMG_4844.jpg
IMG_4846.jpg

Last edited:
Love the heat exchanger. That's gotta be biggest damn battery isolator I've ever seen. You might reconsider where you've placed it. If it gets hot enough that it requires the eight pounds of aluminum strapped to the diodes, I don't think you want it between your battery posts...they've been known to get so hot that they melt and having it right between your battery posts is asking for trouble.

mobi-arc said:
Love the heat exchanger. That's gotta be biggest damn battery isolator I've ever seen. You might reconsider where you've placed it. If it gets hot enough that it requires the eight pounds of aluminum strapped to the diodes, I don't think you want it between your battery posts...they've been known to get so hot that they melt and having it right between your battery posts is asking for trouble.

It's on the list. Thanks.
1247921-IMG_6085.jpg
1247921-IMG_6087.jpg
1247921-IMG_6084.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to tell you to make sure you use Heater Hose in the engine bay. But I see you did. But just in case anyone else i making one. I would recomend it. Yea I have some garden hose under my hood on the shower side. It gets pretty soft from the heat. It is on my list of upgrades. OK when ever I get around to putting it back in.

I think it will cost you around $400 just in parts. Youre best off just buying them yourself. I've spent about that on mine:
$140- Sureflow pump (with tax) but theres deff cheaper ones.
$25- 25 feet heater hose-
$75- fittings, sprinkler head for pickup. You can go alot cheaper here. I used all brass fittings, etc.
$150 - heat exchanger (I got mine for alot cheaper, but thats about the going rate for a 10 plate one shipped..

Then if you want the extra bling Mr.T did- prob another $75 or more...

Deckers sells a heat exchanger kit too:
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/new51788.html

-Dustin

Update.

Still going strong year and a half later. I have ditched the shower inclosure and just used the tarp. Less crap to haul around. Works great. Also works well at the camp for washing hands, dishes and can even wash the cruiser with hot water if I needed to.

Last edited:
I bought an underhood shower setup some time ago and love it. After a long, hot, dusty day on the trail, a hot shower feels great.

so what are the atvantages from doing a set up like this from just buying the helton kits from cruiser outtfitters? other then theres being another $40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom