Crater Lake, Oregon vacation property build thread - BASE CAMP ⛺️ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Biged
Pros and cons each way.
I’m thankful I though ahead and got my water ready before lighting the fire. Nothing worse than it getting out of hand and hurrying to get the generator wired into the well pump, starting the generator and running hose. Before it got too tall I’d drench the interior coals. I just prayed the generator wouldn’t quit on me.

By the way, how much property do you have?

My first time the fire spread across the fire break. Maybe hot embers, or maybe just the heat. I didn’t have the water trailer, I used a 5 gallon water can. Then I drove the loader making a bare dirt area in the path of the fire, I was able to stop it.

By the way, how much property do you have?

20 acres. It’s about thirteen hundred and twenty feet one way, and almost seven hundred feet the other way. That’s why I opted for the loader. I could have made more progress on the trees by now if that’s all I did, instead of working on the loader. But in the long run the loader will be well worth it. I’ve got this attachment for it too.

4A6A7BC4-2B4F-4CF2-93FB-E9581978A55F.jpeg

230D7126-9225-4766-A0AD-74CB2F4190C5.jpeg

Picking a cabin design is not easy. I thought I made up my mind but now think this cabin design is what seems best. They can customize as I’d like a downstairs bedroom and have the stairway moved.
F98563F0-FC53-4CD2-A531-9767A7AB91A1.jpeg

So you buy a kit and put it together yourself?

Aha.

Cost?

Make sure the design meets the snow load requirements for the location before submitting to the county.

Also like I mentioned before get the wood stove closer to the middle of the house instead of on the edge.

Make sure the design meets the snow load requirements for the location before submitting to the county.

Also like I mentioned before get the wood stove closer to the middle of the house instead of on the edge.
I already got my snow load.
104#SF per the county building engineer.
On the plan above I’d remove the patio doors and put the wood stove there.
The snow is in the forecast at the property!!!
B46AC9B6-4A62-45EB-BA0A-32F1570CFE2A.jpeg

1814B280-95E7-4325-B858-1FA08CD1BACF.png

ORZ025-027-030-111800-
/O.UPG.KMFR.WS.A.0008.211211T1800Z-211213T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KMFR.WS.W.0011.211211T1800Z-211213T0000Z/
Eastern Douglas County Foothills-South Central Oregon Cascades-
Northern and Eastern Klamath County and Western Lake County-
Including the cities of Crater Lake, Crescent Lake, Diamond Lake,
Chemult, Crescent, and Gilchrist
352 PM PST Fri Dec 10 2021
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SATURDAY TO 4 PM PST
SUNDAY ABOVE 3500 FEET...
* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. New snow accumulations of 12 to 24
inches. Winds could gust 40 to 60 mph across the passes and higher
elevations, at times.
* WHERE...Eastern Douglas County Foothills, South Central Oregon
Cascades, and Northern and Eastern Klamath County and Western Lake
County. This includes portions of Highway 97 from the Chemult area
to Crescent, portions of Highways 138, 230, and 62 in the Diamond
and Crater Lake areas.
* WHEN...From Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon.
* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Patchy
blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. Strong winds
could cause tree damage.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...This low pressure system is likely to be
followed by another impacting low pressure system Sunday night
into Tuesday.
* View the hazard area in detail at
NWS Weather & Hazards - https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?wfo=mfr
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
* Travel is strongly discouraged because of dangerous conditions.
* If you must travel, keep tire chains, a flashlight, blankets,
food, water, medications, and a fully charged phone with you.
* The safest place during a winter storm is indoors.
* A Winter Storm Warning means that severe winter weather is
likely and poses a threat to life and property. Take protective
action now.

Last edited:
Aha.

Cost?
Cost without any changes are affordable. That 1500 sq ft cabin was $395. With my snow load and adding open loft and having a bedroom where the stairway is is ~$1400.

Customizing always costs more.

I forget what elevation your place is at? Seems it might be comparable to ours snow load wise, I’ve seen 1-4 feet of snowpack at ours over the years.

Worked up the Clackamas River which burned during September 2020. This was my favorite stomping grounds. It’s been closed to public entry since. I’ve worked on many of the wells up the canyon for forest service campgrounds and facilities. The fire burned down their maintenance building which this well served as well as a campground along the river. The Forest Service wanted the well pump to be pulled so the well could be temporary abandoned until they decide what to do with it. The guy overseeing the work shot these awesome pictures and sent them to me. Sad that pictures don’t do justice to the devastation left behind.
ABCC446E-124E-4AF2-98B6-EFCE2A510CA4.jpeg
40A7DBD4-A001-4DD9-BAB9-217B5C062384.jpeg

58719899-E73B-401D-8E1D-B6DF92315F50.jpeg
8F317BB1-05EA-416A-A784-332DD4D1A5A8.jpeg

I forget what elevation your place is at? Seems it might be comparable to ours snow load wise, I’ve seen 1-4 feet of snowpack at ours over the years.
I’m at ~4550’. The neighbors who live here full time have had some big snow years where there’s over 6’ on the ground and some years where it’s much less. I can’t wait to go see how the pumphouse structures do with the snow.

I’m at ~4550’. The neighbors who live here full time have had some big snow years where there’s over 6’ on the ground and some years where it’s much less. I can’t wait to go see how the pumphouse structures do with the snow.

You’re about 6-7 hundred feet lower than us. Judging by pictures I’ve seen, our place got about half a foot of snow yesterday.

get the wood stove closer to the middle of the house instead of on the edge.

Our installer told us to put the stove near an outside wall to reduce the amount of very expensive pipe needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom