Cooper's Cruiser - 79 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, today is finally the day. After years stalking on this thread I finally have something to contribute. Let me tell you a story.

It all started in elementary school with my best friend Richard. We built tree houses and forts, took apart bikes and remote control cars, leading us to eventually "modify" our parents Kawasaki Mule's.

Anywho, school and life eventually got in the way but something kept nagging at us, some grand adventure. Richard bought a Baja Bug with aspirations of running sections of the TransAmerican Trail (TAT). He planted this little seed in my head and I went crazy over it. Having hiked part of the AT alone, there is something marvelous about being out in the "unknown" alone. So, the search for a rig began.

Months went by and nothing seemed to hit until Richard sent me a link of a pile of rust in North Georgia. I was intrigued. Did I have the skill to fix it? Could i learn these skills well enough to be able to make this thing safe? As I moved down the list in deciding whether to buy this rig all signs lead me to the "no, just save up a few more bucks and buy something in better shape" option. But I knew I could just have Richard figure it out, after all he was an engineer-turn-social worker, he can fix anything.

September 10, 2019 I got a text. Richard had been in a single car accident and didn't make it. He was gone. The last thing he told me was to get it and to figure it out later.

Three days later I found myself driving alone to North Georgia.

What I found was nothing but a literal pile of junk. One red-turned-bluish 1979 FJ40 that had last been registered in 97. The dirt was halfway up the rims, everything had some form of rust, bondo, or the well loved mixture of both. Everything underneath had been sprayed with thick black paint which might be the only reason this thing is still being held together. The tank was leaking on the ground (which is funny because i think he tried throwing some fuel in it and giving it a whirl before i showed up).

After 3 hours of wrestling with it through PO's neighbor's yard (trees had grown around it and PO didn't want to cut them down), she was mine.

1C56DF9F-6A2B-4011-A589-15C1CED24BD2.jpeg
IMG_2163.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's a quick Walk around video! I'm having trouble uploading pictures that are in the "cloud" because they are HEIC files.

I've been taking a lot of videos and such for personal documenting and would be happy to share with everyone if that is something you're interested in.

----Is it?-----

Plan of attack: (I'd be happy to amend any of this)
1. Make sure engine isn't seized
2. get it to turn over (crank)
2a. Carb cleaning/rebuild/replace
2b. Fuel filter and pump
2c. Gas tank (will probably push this one down seeing as 79+'s are a PITA to remove the tank and I will most likely replace)
2c1. Replace gas tank
3. Brakes x4 (stock front disks!)
3a. All new soft lines
3b. replace hard lines when i twist the ends off by accident
3c. Master cylinder and/or booster are shot (hard as a rock pedal) *update* both have been replaced (early 90's 4runner master)
4. Electrical problems (ha, easier said than done)
------side note, is it common to have weird grounding problems?
5. Tires and rims (31/10.5/15 ko2's. eyeing stock steelies and caps) 🤑
6. Suspension
7. Cruise

Also, say hello to Espen, our 12 week old Belgian Malinois!
IMG_2167.jpeg

Congrats on the new rig! Very sorry to hear about Richard...I don't want to seem too light, but i can tell you that fixing up an old crusty 40 and driving for the first time seems like a great way to honor a friend's memory and self administering some therapy.

I can tell from your posts that you have a good grasp of the task at hand. I'm not much if a resource compared to 99% of the people on mud, but I would go ahead and pull the plugs now to soak the pistons with some mystery oil or comparable concoction to get ready to crank it for the first time. It's amazing how well you can get a long dead 2f to run.

Nick

Looks like you have a big project there.
Remember every big project consists of a series of small projects.

Only one way to get this one right and that is a frame off. First order of business make a drawing with ALL the measurements you can take, door opening with and height, internal with at different points and such. You will need them later so store them in a safe place where you can find them later.
As soon as you start cutting brace everything, you wil find that every part you cut leads to another cut and so on.

Have fun these projects are good therapy.

Congrats and good luck on this adventure! Really sorry to hear about your friend. Glad you went for it and got the rig. Looking forward to following along on your progress!

FWIW, mine runs and drives (barely) and looks pretty bad on the exterior and interior with Plastidip peeling off. But it puts a smile on my face every day when I drive it to work, which for now, I appreciate more than walking past a pile of parts in my garage.

Welcome...

I'd like to edit the "Frame off" comment above. Think long and hard for a few minutes and come up with a budget. Then decide if doubling it is okay. That's the "frame off" part. Then, once you've come up with a rough budget, split it up into the "small projects" and make a master list. If the first goal is to get it running and enjoy thinking about your your friend while you drive it, do that FIRST. Then worry about the big job. It's your first Cruiser, live in it for a while. The accomplishment of getting it running will be rewarding enough. Worry about what it looks like later. Of course, drive train and brakes are paramount. Get it where it runs and stops. That's top priority.

And by the way, LOVE the puppy! Is it, Espen, or ESPN? Be sure to leave room in the build for the future monster.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new rig! Very sorry to hear about Richard...I don't want to seem too light, but i can tell you that fixing up an old crusty 40 and driving for the first time seems like a great way to honor a friend's memory and self administering some therapy.

I can tell from your posts that you have a good grasp of the task at hand. I'm not much if a resource compared to 99% of the people on mud, but I would go ahead and pull the plugs now to soak the pistons with some mystery oil or comparable concoction to get ready to crank it for the first time. It's amazing how well you can get a long dead 2f to run.

Nick

My thoughts exactly! Richard was a Toyota man through and through, having tundra's and 100 series and even a mid-80's 4runner.
Plugs have been pulled and the mystery is flowing. hopefully I get some live action here in the next little bit.

Looks like you have a big project there.
Remember every big project consists of a series of small projects.

Only one way to get this one right and that is a frame off. First order of business make a drawing with ALL the measurements you can take, door opening with and height, internal with at different points and such. You will need them later so store them in a safe place where you can find them later.
As soon as you start cutting brace everything, you will find that every part you cut leads to another cut and so on.

Have fun these projects are good therapy.

Waiting For Time! I just finished catching up on your thread and I feel as though my budget would have to increase by ~2000% for that awesome workshop! I love your dedication to the finer things in life, like making your own ribbed floor panels :rofl:

In all seriousness -- Looking at in more and more i want to do a frame off just to get the frame itself in order. Is there such a thing as doing a frame off and getting it in perfect condition, then throwing the ratted out body on top? what am i looking at in terms of hidden costs in a frame off, taking all body work out of it and strictly repairing and restoring the frame and components underneath.

Congrats and good luck on this adventure! Really sorry to hear about your friend. Glad you went for it and got the rig. Looking forward to following along on your progress!

FWIW, mine runs and drives (barely) and looks pretty bad on the exterior and interior with Plastidip peeling off. But it puts a smile on my face every day when I drive it to work, which for now, I appreciate more than walking past a pile of parts in my garage.

Thanks Rooster! If this had genuine patina I would be foaming at the mouth to keep it a pile of rust, but its a mid 90's spray over. I do need to get it on the road to justify the purchase to my girlfriend, though :D

Welcome...

I'd like to edit the "Frame off" comment above. Think long and hard for a few minutes and come up with a budget. Then decide if doubling it is okay. That's the "frame off" part. Then, once you've come up with a rough budget, split it up into the "small projects" and make a master list. If the first goal is to get it running and enjoy thinking about your your friend while you drive it, do that FIRST. Then worry about the big job. It's your first Cruiser, live in it for a while. The accomplishment of getting it running will be rewarding enough. Worry about what it looks like later. Of course, drive train and brakes are paramount. Get it where it runs and stops. That's top priority.

And by the way, LOVE to puppy! Is it, Espen, or ESPN? Be sure to leave room in the build for the future monster.

I should have read through all the comments before blasting away replies. My question to waiting for time was how much cost would a frame off but not not touching the tub be? frame repair rust mitigation while updating components, whatever they may be (BODY MOUNTS). I'm a grad student so money is obviously tight. with that being said, anything to get my mind of the books is worth throwing money at.

Espen! In Dutch it means "bear of god" or "bear god," fairly common name apparently in Europe from what I can tell. If you know anything about Malinois, or Maligators, they're nuts. He's pretty mellow for the most part but will try to 'stalk' our husky ("Sky" because of her eyes) through the backyard.
IMG_2081.jpeg

I'm a huge dog lover. (Dog, Huge Dog) I'm only slightly familiar with the Malinwah... (Lived in Belgium when I was a kid.) The little guy looks awesome. Only slightly surprised you didn't call him Richard. I just a few months ago lost my very good friend and mentor. So glad you have the puppy and Cruiser for therapy.

I'm a huge dog lover. (Dog, Huge Dog) I'm only slightly familiar with the Malinwah... (Lived in Belgium when I was a kid.) The little guy looks awesome. Only slightly surprised you didn't call him Richard. I just a few months ago lost my very good friend and mentor. So glad you have the puppy and Cruiser for therapy.

As much as we all disagree on the best colors and the way to go about things, we all have the same vices in the end. Cruisers and puppies.

Espen was intended to fill the void of losing my dear love Molly, Shepard/Lab mix, who passed suddenly in March. (Black pup in my Avatar). Being from Panama City, FL, we think she came down with some sort of sickness following Hurricane Michael and the aftermath of the debris everywhere.

Clearly I have a weird sense of coping with loss! 🤷🏽‍♂️ Having yet to experience the joys of real parenthood, being a dog owner has been one of the most satisfying parts of my life.

My thoughts exactly! Richard was a Toyota man through and through, having tundra's and 100 series and even a mid-80's 4runner.
Plugs have been pulled and the mystery is flowing. hopefully I get some live action here in the next little bit.

Waiting For Time! I just finished catching up on your thread and I feel as though my budget would have to increase by ~2000% for that awesome workshop! I love your dedication to the finer things in life, like making your own ribbed floor panels :rofl:

In all seriousness -- Looking at in more and more i want to do a frame off just to get the frame itself in order. Is there such a thing as doing a frame off and getting it in perfect condition, then throwing the ratted out body on top? what am i looking at in terms of hidden costs in a frame off, taking all body work out of it and strictly repairing and restoring the frame and components underneath.
Thanks for your comments, it took me 30+ years to get here.
You will find that taking the body off with those mounts creates more work then expected.
That is why I recommend taking measurements first.
Love the dogs btw.

Thanks for your comments, it took me 30+ years to get here.
You will find that taking the body off with those mounts creates more work then expected.
That is why I recommend taking measurements first.
Love the dogs btw.

I’ve enjoyed watching you problem solve!
Thoughts on leaving the cowl and taking off everything else? That would give me access to everything I need frame wise. As far as getting the paint off, opt for hours of wire wheeling or is it worth finding a mobile sandblaster? Can I leave brake lines and everything intact if sandblasting is the route to go?

I’ve enjoyed watching you problem solve!
Thoughts on leaving the cowl and taking off everything else? That would give me access to everything I need frame wise. As far as getting the paint off, opt for hours of wire wheeling or is it worth finding a mobile sandblaster? Can I leave brake lines and everything intact if sandblasting is the route to go?
Start with taking off the diamond plate and find out what is bad. I expect that you need to replace some sheet metal. This would make the amount you need to clean a lot smaller, wire wheeling would be doable.

Start with taking off the diamond plate and find out what is bad. I expect that you need to replace some sheet metal. This would make the amount you need to clean a lot smaller, wire wheeling would be doable.

I would love to find a body for sale that isnt totally destroyed. with that being said, i know 79+ bodies are rusting at a faster rate than the earlier ones for whatever reason. I've considered Aqualu but want to keep it steel if i can. Plenty of mini projects to work on before i need to decide anything. I cant weld but im willing to learn. My girlfriend's brother is a pipe-fitter and is always looking to do something. Maybe ill pay him in the highly sought after Guinness keg! (he has a kegerator at his place)

Should be doing my first write up soon!

I would love to find a body for sale that isnt totally destroyed. with that being said, i know 79+ bodies are rusting at a faster rate than the earlier ones for whatever reason. I've considered Aqualu but want to keep it steel if i can. Plenty of mini projects to work on before i need to decide anything. I cant weld but im willing to learn. My girlfriend's brother is a pipe-fitter and is always looking to do something. Maybe ill pay him in the highly sought after Guinness keg! (he has a kegerator at his place)

Should be doing my first write up soon!
Take your time, get her running first. That is a better motivator for the future.

Take your time, get her running first. That is a better motivator for the future.
@Cooperrh6
Welcome to the madness and sorry for your loss.

What @waiting for time said is my only advise...
Getting her running and stopping first will keep you busy enough & motivated to tear her apart for the full frame off after enjoying it and driving it around a bit.

I’ve been getting mine up and running for longer than it takes some on here to do a full frame off restoration but I am learning a lot in the process. As you will too. There are many on here to help you especially the ‘79+ owners. Square bezels rule!

Depending on how original you want it, you may spend more time scouring the internet for parts than actually wrenching.

What is the date stamp on yours? Must be a late ‘79 as the fuel door hinge is forward. My 2/79 is the opposite with the hinge aft.

I agree with this.

I bought an FJ40 in 2016 that was in similar mechanical condition (see Project Pikachu) and went through a very similar checklist to bring it back to life. It is now daily driver reliable and has been on quite a few adventures.

Good for you to honor your friend with the purchase.

Hard to tell what kind of shape that one is in. Is their any rust on the cowl? 79 and newer are the most rust prone. They rust everywhere, and it's unlikely you'll find a used tub of those years that's rust free. As impressive is a rust free nicely restored steel tub is, it's a ton of work. I really like my aqualu, not having to worry about rust again is a good feeling. It slingshotted the body work process by leaps n bounds. I cut off the steel tub in March, had the aluminum tub installed, painted, and truck back on the road by September. It turns just as many heads as it did with the steel tub. People are often surprised when I tell them it's aluminum.

Thank you to everyone for the excellent feedback! My list of things to do and purchase has doubled and I'm not complaining at all!

Let us dive in.

Okay so full disclosure, I've had this bad boy for roughly two months. I've spent limited time with her mono e mono due to school. collecting parts and shedding others, a lot has been researching one system; fuel, brakes, cooling, heating, ELECTRICAL)

After soaking her with some mystery I got her to turn over with a crowbar, silky smooth! there was a weird 'hitch' that got me really nervous but it turned out to be the alternator (or something other than the engine, or maybe it was and i worked it out by hand). i pulled the belt off and she spun without the hitch, so I'll jump on that issue later on.

soaking continued and i turned her 45 degrees every day for a week. In that time I changed the oil and filter, replaced the started (it already had the upgraded reduction starter but it was toast) and pulled the wheels off, but only three of em' because two lugs on the 4th were totally stripped. grinding and prying followed.

and then, i turned the key. she fired right up and i drove off into the sunset!! then i woke up. haha...

No, but i did turn they key, no plugs or spark, and let the mystery flow. i wanted to get as much out as possible before the big day happened. i also have been spraying some carb cleaner in that bad boy. everything sounded good to me, and i was happy.

side note- as mentioned earlier, should i expect weird ground locations? i have battery to frame, engine to frame, starter to frame. and something around the fuse box inside, who knows whats going on there.

so, a day or so later, i plugged everything back together, topped off the radiator, set the camera up, and let her eat.

I have totally bypassed the fuel tank. I installed the metal stock fuel filter and have replaced all the soft lines. I blew air through the fuel pump. I currently just have a pickup hose in a gas can. Pump worked!

I was getting fuel to the carb, i was getting spark but i could not for the life of me keep her running. I poked around the carb more and realized the secondary barrel was completely seized up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom