Coolant leak, or is it nothing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20180116_170437.jpg

20180116_170446.jpg

Hey everyone,

Not sure if it's anything... a few months ago I had the water pump replaced. Noticed pink residual around the water pump during an oil change and also noticed the coolant level was low. Dealership replaced the water pump; since it was L Certified, I only paid a $200 deductible.

Today while reading the cracked radiator thread, it spooked me out so I took a few pics of my LX570 while it's been sitting outside for 10 hours now. I swear I topped off the coolant a few weeks ago but today the coolant level is sitting half full. What do you guys/gals make of the pic? Is that dried coolant around the coolant cap and to the right of the reservoir?

You need to top it off to the full mark when it's cold and take off the radiator cap and top it off could of been some air in the system from the water pump change and coolant refill. I can't see any pink, but I would also buy a new radiator cap if your over 100k miles along with a over flow cap and tubing. Then keep an eye on it.

You need to top it off to the full mark when it's cold and take off the radiator cap and top it off could of been some air in the system from the water pump change and coolant refill. I can't see any pink, but I would also buy a new radiator cap if your over 100k miles along with a over flow cap and tubing. Then keep an eye on it.

Can I top if off with distilled water? Or should I get the Toyota's pink coolant?

Is the radiator cap/over flow cap/tubing same as the LC's?

You have to use the Toyota pink coolant for topping off the tank to the full/cold mark. I don't think you need a new cap/tubing at this point, but if you want to go with a new OEM radiator cap, fine. Then track the level when cold. Any use could indicate a problem.

Take it back to the dealer that did the pump and have them top it off as part of the pump replacement if possible. Problem is, it'll have to be stone cold which means leaving it overnight.

You have to use the Toyota pink coolant for topping off the tank to the full/cold mark. I don't think you need a new cap/tubing at this point, but if you want to go with a new OEM radiator cap, fine. Then track the level when cold. Any use could indicate a problem.

Don’t know how old his 200 is so that’s why suggested the radiator cap in the overflow And tubing

Don’t know how old his 200 is so that’s why suggested the radiator cap in the overflow And tubing

It's MY 2009. ~95k miles.

I put in an order of pink OEM coolant on Amazon; should get it in a few days. I'll first top it off and clean up the whitish residue after it sits overnight and see where the coolant levels after a few days, and then report back. I'll hold off on the cap/tubing for now...

It's MY 2009. ~95k miles.

I put in an order of pink OEM coolant on Amazon; should get it in a few days. I'll first top it off and clean up the whitish residue after it sits overnight and see where the coolant levels after a few days, and then report back. I'll hold off on the cap/tubing for now...

On a 9 year old vehicle with 95k miles, your really going to cheap out on a new radiator cap and over flow cap and tubing?

On a 9 year old vehicle with 95k miles, your really going to cheap out on a new radiator cap and over flow cap and tubing?

I like to determine first if the coolant is indeed dropping and I'm not imagining things, so I'll wait after I top of the coolant to "max" when the vehicle is cold before I start replacing things.

If the coolant does indeed drop after the top off and I see pink or new white residue near the rad cap/over flow cap/tubing, I'll either order said items or bring it back to the dealership. Thanks for the suggestion.

Can I top if off with distilled water? Or should I get the Toyota's pink coolant?

Is the radiator cap/over flow cap/tubing same as the LC's?
With the small amount of fluid you're looking at, water will be fine. If it was more than a pint, I'd put 50/50 mix in, in the winter. In the summer, at least here, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, the parts are the same. My LX570 looks like yours.

FYI, just had a coolant leak on my '08 at 99K miles. From tech notes: "FOUND COOLANT LEAKING DOWN THE BACK SIDE OF THE ENGINE. COOLANT INLET HOUSING LEAKING UNDER THE INTAKE MANIFOLD". It was a seven hour job. Might want to check in that area just in case.

FYI, just had a coolant leak on my '08 at 99K miles. From tech notes: "FOUND COOLANT LEAKING DOWN THE BACK SIDE OF THE ENGINE. COOLANT INLET HOUSING LEAKING UNDER THE INTAKE MANIFOLD". It was a seven hour job. Might want to check in that area just in case.

Ouch.... it appears that the coolant system is a weak point on Toyota/Lexus. My aunt had a Camry that experienced a total loss of coolant, and my wife's old 2005 RX330 coolant suddenly turned brown.

Mind me asking how much was this repair job? Was it done at a dealership or indy?

Did you experience a gradual loss of coolant over time?

What is the best way to view the intake manifold?

Ouch.... it appears that the coolant system is a weak point on Toyota/Lexus. My aunt had a Camry that experienced a total loss of coolant, and my wife's old 2005 RX330 coolant suddenly turned brown.

Mind me asking how much was this repair job? Was it done at a dealership or indy?

Did you experience a gradual loss of coolant over time?

What is the best way to view the intake manifold?

My repair cost was around $650. It was done at the dealership as they have serviced the vehicle since new. I am honestly not sure how to get under the intake manifold other than removing it. From some searches online, sounds like this is a pretty common coolant leak location across a myriad of vehicles. Good luck!

My repair cost was around $650. It was done at the dealership as they have serviced the vehicle since new. I am honestly not sure how to get under the intake manifold other than removing it. From some searches online, sounds like this is a pretty common coolant leak location across a myriad of vehicles. Good luck!

Appreciate you sharing your experience, thanks! I'll try and keep this post updated.

20180119_063415.jpg

20180119_063431_001.jpg

The coolant arrived early, so I cleaned a bit around the coolant reservoir and radiator, and topped off the coolant to "F" after the truck sat overnight to cool down. I'll drive it a week or so and see where the coolant level is and report back. Thought this post can serve as document in case I need to bring it back to the dealership.

Good job. Here's hoping all is well.

Keep in mind when checking coolant, it is very sensitive to temperature expansion/contraction. So after cool down of ~8 hours, you need to be aware of outside (ambient) temperature. Checking when very cold -10F degrees level will be lower in expansion tank (reservoir) than checking when outside temperature 70F. Even 5F degrees variance makes a difference in level.

What is all this white residue? Is your rad cap failing? I think the residue is leaking coolant. It seems to be in the correct locked position. Have you tested with a new rad cap?

20180116_170437.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom