Component Speaker Install - Factory Appearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boydmick

RIP My Friend
SILVER Star
Threads
After reading all the speaker install threads, I decided to do something a little different. . .

My goal was to increase the size of the front speakers, install seperate tweeters in the doors, and have it appear as if it came that way from the factory.

You be the judge if I was successful.

You've all seen this before, but this is the final goal; stock appearance:
Begining.jpg

Step 1:

Increase the speaker size.
I chose Infinity's 6 1/2 inch Reference Series as my starting point.
Infinity 6010cs.jpg

I was concerned about the mounting depth and prepared to use spacers to compensate. I modified the Infinity mounting rings to work as a spacer.
trimmed ring.jpg

Not happy with how far out the speaker protruded, I tried it with a small foam ring instead. The magnet made contact with the window channel, so I glued a small foam pad to the channel and tightened it down.

Stay tuned. . . . .
Begining.jpg
Infinity 6010cs.jpg
trimmed ring.jpg

Here is the woofer installed in the door with only a small (1/4 inch) foam ring behind the entire flange.
installed.jpg

Step 2:
Modify the door panel to fit the larger speaker.

I scribed the diameter of the speaker on the back of the door panel to see how much larger the hole needed to be.
scribe hole.jpg

I determined that the factory grill would cover the new hole (with some modification) so I trimmed the panel with a dremel tool.
new hole.jpg
installed.jpg
scribe hole.jpg
new hole.jpg

First goal of a larger speaker achieved:
test fit.jpg

Second goal, install seperate tweeters:

Step 1:

Determine location for tweeters. I carefull looked at the door to make sure I could find a location that would sound good, look good and wouldn't interfere with anything inside the door. I picked a spot just forward of the release lever and enlarged an existing hole. I was careful to save as much of the factory vapor barrier as possible, then made a patch to fit around the new tweeter.
cut door.jpg

Step 2:

Mount the tweeter to the door panel.

I marked the location of the tweeter on the back of the door panel and used a hole saw to cut the opening. I was careful not to damage the fabric with the hole saw.
tweeter hole.jpg
test fit.jpg
cut door.jpg
tweeter hole.jpg

Second goal achieved.

Here is the tweeter installed on the back of the door panel.
tweeter installed.jpg

Third goal; stock appearance.

Here is the "something different." Rather than use the grills that came with the speakers, I chose to retain the Toyota parts.

The cover for the woofer was easy. I just had to trim the original mounting tabs off (to avoid contact with the rubber surround) and glue the grill to the door. Be careful, you only get one shot! (You can see the grill glued to the panel in the last pic.)

For the tweeter I ordered some Tundra tweeter grills (Thanks Dan!) in Oak.
tweeter grill.jpg

They attach with three small mounting studs through the door panel and small clips on the backside. (You can see the studs and clips right next to the tweeter bracket on the first pic.)

Does this look factory?
finished product.jpg

Third goal achieved? What do you think?:grinpimp:

Oh, BTW - the speakers sound great! Amazing clarity and a nice kick, all off the factory head unit.

Next up - Rear speakers!
tweeter installed.jpg
tweeter grill.jpg
finished product.jpg

Very very nice, looking forward to the rears.

That is sweeet. I almost bought a set of those speakers, but was outbid at the end. I bought the coaxial counterparts for my wifes car, and they sound great.

How much did the tundra grilles cost?

What kind of glue did you use?

Had you tried placing the tweeters in the factory pockets in the dash? Was the imaging too muddled?

Are there crossovers with the components or just a filtering resistor?

I'm trying to retain my stock system as long as possible, because I know how slippery that slope is (dream plan is to yank out head unit, replace with 10.4 inch TFT monitor. Rearrange all controls, switches, vents and AC controls in das) Gut factory cd changer from center console, replace with car PC, wifi, dvd, usb/firewire ports, and GPS with external antenna, wireless keyboard, trackball wireless mouse, and obd-II monitoring)

Tundra Grills: p/n #67651-0C010-EO $5.59ea (Thanks Dan!) + 6 clips from local hardware store ~ .06 ea.

Glue: Loctite SuperGlue for Plastics (comes with the glue and an activator pen).

Dash tweeters: Shoot at my knees - plus I plan to mount a pair of speakers there for my CB. The tweeters are very crisp in the door - without being hard.

Crossovers are included; I mounted them inside the door, up high, with industrial velcro. If I have any issues with moisture; I'll mount them in the kick panels.

Nice. That's the direction I plan to take. I did separates in my 60 due to the narrow doors and was able to retain the stock grills. High mounted tweeters provide the best imaging. I used some surface mounted tweeters and was able to get them even higher on the door than your install.

Very factory looking. Nice job.

I had hoped to mont them even higher and played with the idea of fabricating a housing on the A pillar trim; but it just wasn't worth the effort for the minimal gains.

I am really impressed that the tweeter images as well as it does from the door.

Boyd,

Great job with the install. I think it looks factory. Are you planning on sticking with the stock head unit or aftermarket?

Buck Buchanan

Factory. . . for now.

8-10" sub in the rear, maybe some amps.

When the factory HU dumps, I'll look at upgrading.

Very well done, and it sounds like you're happy with the sound! Rock on bro!:cheers:

Looks great...I like it.

Nice Boyd. I like the full factory look you've maintained.

Here's where my installer put tweeters in the door.
front door speaker.JPG

That turned out really good Boyd. Definately thinking outside the box. After having had big systems over the years (some as big as $20,000) I'm finding it difficult to modify my stock system in any way. But I still want to be able to connect my ipod:crybaby:.

Nice Boyd. I like the full factory look you've maintained.

Here's where my installer put tweeters in the door.
I think that would actually image pretty well. Are you happy with it? They look like older MBQuarts.

How did you attach the speaker grill? Since you removed the particle board in which the tabs mount to.

I recently did my speakers/stereo with 5's front and 4's in the rear, but have the 6's in the garage waiting for me to install them.

By the way, I have MB Quart components and the sound is just not right with the tweeters in the stock locations. I might move the rear tweeters from the rear to somewhere in the front. Possibly in the pillars.

Soundstage is narrow and low.

That turned out really good Boyd. Definately thinking outside the box. After having had big systems over the years (some as big as $20,000) I'm finding it difficult to modify my stock system in any way. But I still want to be able to connect my ipod:crybaby:.

I think that would actually image pretty well. Are you happy with it? They look like older MBQuarts.

Good eye for speakers - Yes MB Quart Discuss series. I like them very much!

those tweeter grills are nice. strong work! dont' want to jack the thread, but anyone know where i can get some factory grills in the same color for the front speakers? the PO popped the original ones off the front doors and wasnt sure if i could get new ones separately or if i would have to order a whole door panel. i'd be willing to "glue" one on if i could find a pair or even something close (i.e. tundra or sequoia grills...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom