Compact Impact Wrench for 80 Work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use my little impact driver for a LOT everywhere. Saves a lot of time taking things down. It can only do 125 ftlbs so putting things back together i don't even let it get to the hammering portion and just tighten by hand and if needed a torque wrench. If you get excited by the ugaduggas too much, even that driver can snap the heads off a fair amount.

In the engine bay the most useful for me has been the really long wrenches. They get to a lot of places. I think they were originally called airplane mechanic wrenches but i have the icon version with flex head and ratcheting.

Oddly enough I find myself using impacts less and less these days. It's just asking for trouble and doesn't save that much time. I still use it for removing lug nut (only replace with torque wrench) and as mentioned before chassis stuff where it's easy to get to and I know I won't strip anything.

For the crank bolt when you tackle your front main and oil pump, look into renting the proper torque wrench. A quality torque wrench that goes to 305ft.lbs is pricey and you likely won't use it again for a long time. I rented a 500lb one for a half day for $16 dollars. More than worth it IMO.

I've got a few of the 1/4" drive impacts that come with 18 and 20v power tool sets. I use them a bit with 10mm, 12,, and sometimes 14mm stuff, but impacts aren't usually all that handy. Honestly I don't know many people that wrench a lot who use impacts.

On the other hand, like when i did the rear brake pads on the 4runner yesterday, I use my 18v or 20v Dewalt drill. I can crank up the Toyota jack with it, I'll crack the lug nuts with a long 1/2" socket wrench, then spin all the nuts off the rest of the way with the drill, and then back on and crank tight with socket wrench.

Having a few 1/4" impacts with 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm left in a slotted shelf at the bench is kind of handy, and I'm thinking about a dedicated 20v drill and impact that I can leave in the cruiser (it sleeps in the garage at night). Mostly for the jack though, it makes things quick.

I throw a Dewalt 20v brushless 1/4” drive impact in the tailgate storage before long trips. I’m impressed with it. I torque my lugnuts to 100ft/Lb and it’ll break them loose no sweat. 🤷‍♂️ Well worth what I paid and more compact than the breaker bar/extension that I’ve still got stashed in there for lug nut duty.

I throw a Dewalt 20v brushless 1/4” drive impact in the tailgate storage before long trips. I’m impressed with it. I torque my lugnuts to 100ft/Lb and it’ll break them loose no sweat. 🤷‍♂️ Well worth what I paid and more compact than the breaker bar/extension that I’ve still got stashed in there for lug nut duty.
Do you know what model you have? I have a few dewalt tools already and have the batteries. I would not mind a impact to travel with. I mostly want it for things that spin when do il mf them by hand.

Motorcycle forks come to mind. You. Need a impact sometimes to get them apart or the legs just spin. Sometimes the bottom shock bolt on the front of the 80 does the same.

Do you know what model you have? I have a few dewalt tools already and have the batteries. I would not mind a impact to travel with. I mostly want it for things that spin when do il mf them by hand.

Motorcycle forks come to mind. You. Need a impact sometimes to get them apart or the legs just spin. Sometimes the bottom shock bolt on the front of the 80 does the same.
It’s a Dewalt DCF887

FWIW the Milwaukee M12 Fuel Surge impact driver has four torque settings including a soft/slow start setting.

I live on the east coast of Canada, major rust here and fasteners like to fuse to whatever it’s threaded into.

No using an impact means snapping heads of bolts instead of removing them. An impact gun prevents that 9 times out of 10.

I have a 12 volt rigid impact driver for little stuff and the 1600 ft/lb 18 volt brute for the big stuff.

I’ve had these 2 years and best investment yet for dealing with stuck hardware when you don’t have a torch.

I also have a Canadian Tire 20 volt impact that is only good for about 150 ft/lb. Very useful also.

Having a bum shoulder limits the power I can apply to manual tools.
Impact guns allow me to continue to do my own work without causing discomfort or further damage to that shoulder.

You don’t need an impact for anything.

We use them for tear down because it’s faster. A person shouldn’t use one for assembly unless you really know what you are doing, IMO.

Buy a good quality torque wrench long before an impact.

Cheers
I did. Several. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom