Commuting with 300k+ 1993 cruiser or letting it sit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to get some opinions about what I should do in my current situation. I have a 1993 cruiser with 312k miles on it. I'm moving this weekend to an apartment building where I can only have 1 car. For the past 8 months or so I've had the cruiser and a 2004 Honda Civic which I use to commute to work every day. At my new place I'll still have to commute (36 miles a day) but I can't keep both cars at the apartment.

My question is this. For the longevity of the cruiser, would it be better to commute with it (racking up 180-200 miles a week of mostly highway, but with a fair amount of traffic) or would it be better to keep it at a family member's house where it would get fewer miles but would sit without being used more often? My family who said I can leave it there is an hour and a half away so I wouldn't be able to get up there every week. Might have to sit for periods of two or 3 weeks without being driven (she's definitely not going to drive it).

What's better for the car? I know land cruisers are tanks but I want this thing to last and I'm worried my commute might accelerate its decline but is that really worse than letting a 27 year old car sit for weeks at a time?

Thanks

If you’ve replaced all the worn bits and bobs (not a cheap undertaking if done right) I wouldn’t hesitate to let it sit for a few weeks at a time like any other modern car so long as it’s properly garaged fully indoors esp if winter is a thing where it’ll sit.

Even if you haven’t maintained or refreshed it properly, it’ll need love=$@ some point soon given its age driven regularly or not driven regularly.

I'd keep both vehicles and swap them out every few weeks. For longevity of the cruiser 200 miles a week of highway driving won't hurt it at all, however letting it sit for months at a time will speed its decline.

The key thing for storing any vehicle is to park it "hot" after a long drive.

If you have it at home then it will also give you time to work on it and keep it up when you have time.

If you park it, get a cover for it.

You will find the maintenance things you need to do if you're driving it every day and like stated above switch between the cars.

Is there not street parking or maybe you could rent an additional spot from someone nearby...

Was thinking about the street parking option but its a fairly crowded part of LA and street parking is hard to come by or nonexistent. Lots of 2 hour parking only and the like. Unfortunately won't have a garage to keep it in but a cover is not a bad idea. This is Southern California too so it is about the most mild winter I could put it through. I like the idea of switching off cars every couple of weeks though, hadn't thought about that but seems like a good solution.

Regarding the upkeep to try and prevent as much "needed" repairs as possible, any suggestions for what I should do to it? I did spark plugs, knuckle rebuild, new pads and rotors, new distributor cap and rotor, new oxygen sensors, new knock sensor electrical connector, and new air intake hose (old one was cracked) all in the past 6 months. Also just two months and 2k miles ago changed oil and replaced gear oil in both diffs and the t-case.

What else should I add to the list to keep it in tip top shape? I'm thinking spark plug wires and maybe pesky heater hose but I'm not sure I want to take that one on if it doesn't need it...anything else come to mind?

Was thinking about the street parking option but its a fairly crowded part of LA and street parking is hard to come by or nonexistent. Lots of 2 hour parking only and the like. Unfortunately won't have a garage to keep it in but a cover is not a bad idea. This is Southern California too so it is about the most mild winter I could put it through. I like the idea of switching off cars every couple of weeks though, hadn't thought about that but seems like a good solution.

Regarding the upkeep to try and prevent as much "needed" repairs as possible, any suggestions for what I should do to it? I did spark plugs, knuckle rebuild, new pads and rotors, new distributor cap and rotor, new oxygen sensors, new knock sensor electrical connector, and new air intake hose (old one was cracked) all in the past 6 months. Also just two months and 2k miles ago changed oil and replaced gear oil in both diffs and the t-case.

What else should I add to the list to keep it in tip top shape? I'm thinking spark plug wires and maybe pesky heater hose but I'm not sure I want to take that one on if it doesn't need it...anything else come to mind?

Crap, SoCal. That changes everything. A 35 mile commute can equal 1.5 to 2 hours in hot stop and go traffic. Not good for an 80. You’d better LOVE dents and door dings if you are street parking in places like Anaheim. Street parking space is measured in inches there.

What city are you moving to, and what city are you moving too?

I too am located in so-cal.

Please do the PHH before its a problem when you least expect it...

I also like the "trade off every few weeks" approach. My 80 will occasionally sit for 2-3 weeks at a time and it doesn't seem to mind (frequently untouched for at least a week), so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Back when I could only have one car for financial reasons, I sold my 60 and my mpg/fun/DD car and got a 4runner to bridge the gap, which also wasn't a bad way to go about it.

I also like the "trade off every few weeks" approach. My 80 will occasionally sit for 2-3 weeks at a time and it doesn't seem to mind (frequently untouched for at least a week), so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Back when I could only have one car for financial reasons, I sold my 60 and my mpg/fun/DD car and got a 4runner to bridge the gap, which also wasn't a bad way to go about it.
Mine sat through the whole quarantine without a single hiccup :clap:

I would not park an 80 series on the street in LA as these vehicles are sought after by car thieves. I would leave it at your relatives house, driving it now and then, and use the car for your daily commute. Then use the money saved on gas and insurance to spend on your 80.

An option to leave CA? It ain’t getting any better.

I would not park an 80 series on the street in LA as these vehicles are sought after by car thieves. I would leave it at your relatives house, driving it now and then, and use the car for your daily commute. Then use the money saved on gas and insurance to spend on your 80.
In contrast to what the Kernal said, my feelings about it are in my sig line.

If you must:
Park it hot, full of fuel, and disconnect the battery if you do decide to park it. Try to NOT use ethanol based fuels before you park it, but you're talking CA and WA, so probably not available. Keep up on your oil changes. Your next concern will be rodent damage.

I would then add a bit of Sta-Bil to the fuel before it's parked to lessen the damage done by the ethanol sitting and not moving.

There will be times that you won't be able to get back to it for weeks or months due to life getting in the way. That's why I'm advocating for adding the fuel stabilizer.

Yes, I also believe that it would be much more of a target than a Honda.

Lots of good opinions in here. I think I'll leave it at a relative's house and switch cars every couple of weeks. For anyone familiar with the area, I'm relocating from Westchester to the Palms area. Distance wise not a huge move but I'll be leaving a nice residential street with ample street parking and a long driveway for a much denser, more urban area where I will only have one secure parking space available. I also have no problem leaving the POS Honda on the street but there isn't even street parking near my new place.

I'll look into adding some fuel stabilizer for when it is going to be sitting. And I'll keep up with the maintenance. I guess I'll do the PHH though I've dreading that job...never having attempted it myself I might be in for a rough go of it my first time

Letting it set wont hurt it a bit. As a street legal trail Reg sometimes mine sets for months at a time. I don't add fuel stabilizers or disconnected the battery. never been a issue, always fires right up ready to wheel. ;)
It is well built and maintained and fully base lined. and it is in my shop.
If your planing on keeping it, it well serve it well not to put all the miles on it. JMHO Cheers

Last edited:
An option to leave CA? It ain’t getting any better.

This right there. Your location shows Seattle. It’s no picnic there, but this state is sooooo bad it’s trying to die in a fire.

Sorry about my first post. It should have read, where are you moving and where are you storing the rig? My iPhone typing is going to crap as I age.

If you can find a closer mini storage where you can park it, that might be an option too. Those are pretty rare in your new area.

Yeah I moved from Seattle to LA a few years ago. Not a very land cruiser friendly place, and I've gotten the street sweeping ticket a couple of times now :bang:

Family is up in Ventura though. A bit far like I said but lots more space out there, nice and safe, big driveway for when I need to work on it

Yeah I moved from Seattle to LA a few years ago. Not a very land cruiser friendly place, and I've gotten the street sweeping ticket a couple of times now :bang:

Family is up in Ventura though. A bit far like I said but lots more space out there, nice and safe, big driveway for when I need to work on it

I made the same move 7 years ago or so. People love to sht on it but I still love LA as in north of the 10, south of the valley, no further east of downtown, up and down the west from South Bay to Santa Monica. Any other area I’d rather be back in Bellevue. :D

It’s definitely not nearly as car friendly as Seattle/Eastside where I spent most of my life. Drivers here are way more aggressive. Parking is totally suspect as valeting is an avoid at all costs thing for me. Traffic is obviously next level. Road conditions are sports car unfriendly. Objects on road is a constant threat. The all year round heat is tougher on aging hvac systems. Gas costs more. Registration I hear is a wash. There is simply more relaxed driving time in Seattle (+superior natural beauty) but it evens out when you account for the rainy days.

All that said, enjoy your cruiser in SoCal. Find a local group of like-minded 80s homies as it makes all the difference. I’m living the dream!

Last edited:
I made the same move 7 years ago or so. People love to sht on it but I still love LA as in north of the 10, south of the valley, no further east of downtown, up and down the west from South Bay to Santa Monica. Any other area I’d rather be back in Bellevue. :D

It’s definitely not nearly as car friendly as Seattle/Eastside where I spent most of my life. Drivers here are way more aggressive. Parking is totally suspect as valeting is an avoid at all costs thing for me. Traffic is obviously next level. Road conditions are sports car unfriendly. Objects on road is a constant threat. The all year round heat is tougher on aging hvac systems. Gas costs more. Registration I hear is a wash. There is simply more relaxed driving time in Seattle (+superior natural beauty) but it evens out when you account for the rainy days.

All that said, enjoy your cruiser in SoCal. Find a local group of like-minded 80s homies as it makes all the difference. I’m living the dream!
I agree. As much as I miss having space and I hate trying to fit the cruiser into tight parallel parking spots all over the city and I hate encountering traffic at every time of day...yeah in spite of all that I love West LA. Santa Monica to South Bay is the exact right spot to be. You might like Bellevue more than me though. Went out to Factoria all the time as a kid and I think there are many places in the LA area I'd rather be than Bellevue...

And I do think LA is better for wheeling. Death Valley and J Tree are ideal for off-roading 8 months of the year and there are some great trails in the Sierras when it's too hot for the desert. Back in Seattle you get that perfect two month window when there's no snow in the mountains and before the rain starts coming every day but it can be tough to get out there when it rains 100 days in a row

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom