cold starting

I am the new owner of a 73 FJ 40 with a stock F motor + electronic ingnition. Now that the weather is getting colder, I am having a real hard time getting her started in the morning. The choke does not seem to help either. Anyone have suggestions? I am at about 4,000ft with overnight temps dropping into the 20/30s. Has anyone run the block heater offered in SOR (#052-50)?

Advent

If you're not starting at 30 degrees, there is something definately wrong.

I have had no problems down to about 20 below without a block heater.

ranger

After sitting for about a month, my cruiser fired right up the other day at 3 below. No block heater. But it sure would help having a block heater, battery blanket and a oil pan heater. I can only imagine the stress and wear it puts on the engine starting it when its this cold.

My 40 always seems to start fine in the cold but I always have to follow the same procedure. I pull the choke out, pump the gas 2-3 times, then turn the key and wait for it to catch which is usually right away.
If I dont pump it enough or too much it doesnt catch.

When my fuelpump was weak it would let gas drain back into the tank so I had a lot of cranking to get fuel back up to the carb. Check for good reliable operation of your idle solenoid, too.
GL

Ed

not sure on the fuel pump age, but i'll give it a look. I think I have an extra one in a box of parts somewhere

I have tried the choke + 3 pumps, but that does not seem to fly. She does not seem to want to catch. Maybe it is a weak fuel pump.

Top Bottom