cold starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am the new owner of a 73 FJ 40 with a stock F motor + electronic ingnition. Now that the weather is getting colder, I am having a real hard time getting her started in the morning. The choke does not seem to help either. Anyone have suggestions? I am at about 4,000ft with overnight temps dropping into the 20/30s. Has anyone run the block heater offered in SOR (#052-50)?

After sitting for about a month, my cruiser fired right up the other day at 3 below. No block heater. But it sure would help having a block heater, battery blanket and a oil pan heater. I can only imagine the stress and wear it puts on the engine starting it when its this cold.

My 40 always seems to start fine in the cold but I always have to follow the same procedure. I pull the choke out, pump the gas 2-3 times, then turn the key and wait for it to catch which is usually right away.
If I dont pump it enough or too much it doesnt catch.

When my fuelpump was weak it would let gas drain back into the tank so I had a lot of cranking to get fuel back up to the carb. Check for good reliable operation of your idle solenoid, too.
GL

Ed

Quincyrig:

How old is the fuel pump? A new fuel pump did wonders for my 80-FJ40.

not sure on the fuel pump age, but i'll give it a look. I think I have an extra one in a box of parts somewhere

I have tried the choke + 3 pumps, but that does not seem to fly. She does not seem to want to catch. Maybe it is a weak fuel pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom