Coil springs for AHC (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Answering my own post since I found a photo.
TLDR: At least one spring with green paint is 48231-6A740, which is LH side for my VIN, US LHD 2004 LX470 with AHC.

View attachment 2572793

Click on the camera icon and enlarge one of the photos:

View attachment 2572795

Not sure about the label which here says 'RR'. All other documentation says this is LH side.

And at the bottom of coil number two is a barely visible little green patch.

Sorry, for being anal, just wanted to document what I found.
Suggest don't be too distracted by 'RR' on the label -- usually in Toyota-speak 'RR' just means ReaR, whereas 'LH' means Left Hand and 'RH' means Right Hand. You could check out the language with a Toyota or Lexus Parts Person who knows his/her stuff. The descriptor for Part No. 48321-6A740 "Spring, Coil, Rear, RH/LH" denotes a spring of a particular but undisclosed spring rate and length identified by its green patch. This spring will be correct for your VIN. The spring is not exclusive to one model nor one market. The same spring might be used in either side at the rear on some LC100 and LX470 vehicles with AHC in some markets. For example, it may be done this way because Right Hand Drive vehicles ordinarily have the same spring on both sides whereas Left Hand Drive vehicles seem to have slightly different springs on either side (with different Part Numbers and different colour patches), apparently to off-set the combined weight of the driver and most of the fuel load, which are both on that side of a LHD vehicle -- or so it is said.

Apologies for these even more anal details. The important takeaway is that you have confirmed the correct spring, correct Part Number and correct colour code for the Left Hand Rear coil spring for your vehicle and you can sleep easy about these details! Maybe the person fitting your springs (your post #148 in this thread) was confused by the labelling on the springs and unaware of the distinctions and correct placement of the springs on your vehicle. Maybe this caused the mix-up which you now seek to have remedied?

is there a model number for this?

iCarsoft_a.jpg

iCarsoft_c.jpg

Suggest don't be too distracted by 'RR' on the label -- usually in Toyota-speak 'RR' just means ReaR, whereas 'LH' means Left Hand and 'RH' means Right Hand. You could check out the language with a Toyota or Lexus Parts Person who knows his/her stuff. The descriptor for Part No. 48321-6A740 "Spring, Coil, Rear, RH/LH" denotes a spring of a particular but undisclosed spring rate and length identified by its green patch. This spring will be correct for your VIN. The spring is not exclusive to one model nor one market. The same spring might be used in either side at the rear on some LC100 and LX470 vehicles with AHC in some markets. For example, it may be done this way because Right Hand Drive vehicles ordinarily have the same spring on both sides whereas Left Hand Drive vehicles seem to have slightly different springs on either side (with different Part Numbers and different colour patches), apparently to off-set the combined weight of the driver and most of the fuel load, which are both on that side of a LHD vehicle -- or so it is said.

Apologies for these even more anal details. The important takeaway is that you have confirmed the correct spring, correct Part Number and correct colour code for the Left Hand Rear coil spring for your vehicle and you can sleep easy about these details! Maybe the person fitting your springs (your post #148 in this thread) was confused by the labelling on the springs and unaware of the distinctions and correct placement of the springs on your vehicle. Maybe this caused the mix-up which you now seek to have remedied?
Alas, sleeping easy is not always easy.

Thanks for confirmation of what I had read elsewhere. After sending the photos and misc other info to the service advisor, he and the service manager continued to offer alternate explanations like, 'manufactures quality control marks', 'Lexus has no documentation of colors' and 'the warehouse said it was not meaningful'. The service manager pulled off the remaining bit of part label on which the RR was visible, and that was his definitive lead off: 'Right Rear'. Leading credence to your possible explanation of why they were installed reversed. They said that if I insisted to swap them they'd do it for half labor. I told them I'd take my work elsewhere.

There's a local guy in town that I took my old LX450 to and I'll have him swap them. I'm hoping that he can have them both off the vehicle at the same time so I can photo the length difference. I'm sure the management at the dealer will be interested in the details of why my vehicle and my wife's RX will not be back.

Alas, sleeping easy is not always easy.

Thanks for confirmation of what I had read elsewhere. After sending the photos and misc other info to the service advisor, he and the service manager continued to offer alternate explanations like, 'manufactures quality control marks', 'Lexus has no documentation of colors' and 'the warehouse said it was not meaningful'. The service manager pulled off the remaining bit of part label on which the RR was visible, and that was his definitive lead off: 'Right Rear'. Leading credence to your possible explanation of why they were installed reversed. They said that if I insisted to swap them they'd do it for half labor. I told them I'd take my work elsewhere.

There's a local guy in town that I took my old LX450 to and I'll have him swap them. I'm hoping that he can have them both off the vehicle at the same time so I can photo the length difference. I'm sure the management at the dealer will be interested in the details of why my vehicle and my wife's RX will not be back.

The Dealer response is disappointing!!

I am no expert in the finer specification details of USA-delivered LC100 and LX470 models but curiosity caused me to look at the relevant Toyota USA and Lexus USA sites revealed below. I doubt that they are helpful to your situation but here is what they show:

REAR SPRING & SHOCK ABSORBER. 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota - https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_2006_Land-Cruiser-47L-AT-4WD/_65511_6729012/REAR-SPRING--SHOCK-ABSORBER/791450-4804.html

This official Toyota USA site actually specifies rear spring Part No, unladen spring length and colour patch, probably to distinguish between Landcruiser models delivered in USA with and without AHC:

Left Rear with AHC: 48231-6A780 Brown H = 500

Right Rear with AHC: 48231-6A770 Purple H = 485

(As an irrelevant aside, 48231-6A770 were the OEM springs on both Left Rear and Right Rear of my Right Hand Drive LC100 with AHC delivered in Australia in 2006, both with visible purple patch and both with length measured at 485 millimetres when removed in 2019 for replacement with King KTRS-79, also same both sides).

REAR SPRING & SHOCK ABSORBER. 2003 Lexus LX 470 | Lexus Parts & Accessories Online - https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2003_LX-470/_65511_6729015/REAR-SPRING--SHOCK-ABSORBER/792450-4804.html

This official Lexus USA site specifies rear spring Part Nos but does not specify spring length nor colour patch. The Part Nos are different between Left and Right rear springs and also different to the Part Nos for the Left and Right Landcruiser-with-AHC rear springs:

Left Rear: 48231-6A740

Right Rear: 48231-6A730

Last edited:
The Dealer response is disappointing!!

I am no expert in the finer specification details of USA-delivered LC100 and LX470 models but curiosity caused me to look at the relevant Toyota USA and Lexus USA sites revealed below. I doubt that they are helpful to your situation but here is what they show:

REAR SPRING & SHOCK ABSORBER. 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota - https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_2006_Land-Cruiser-47L-AT-4WD/_65511_6729012/REAR-SPRING--SHOCK-ABSORBER/791450-4804.html

This official Toyota USA site actually specifies rear spring Part No, unladen spring length and colour patch, probably to distinguish between Landcruiser models delivered in USA with and without AHC:

Left Rear with AHC: 48231-6A780 Brown H = 500

Right Rear with AHC: 48231-6A770 Purple H = 485

(As an irrelevant aside, 48231-6A770 were the OEM springs on both Left Rear and Right Rear of my Right Hand Drive LC100 with AHC delivered in Australia in 2006, both with visible purple patch and both with length measured at 485 millimetres when removed in 2019 for replacement with King KTRS-79, also same both sides).

REAR SPRING & SHOCK ABSORBER. 2003 Lexus LX 470 | Lexus Parts & Accessories Online - https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2003_LX-470/_65511_6729015/REAR-SPRING--SHOCK-ABSORBER/792450-4804.html

This official Lexus USA site specifies rear spring Part Nos but does not specify spring length nor colour patch. The Part Nos are different between Left and Right rear springs and also different to the Part Nos for the Left and Right Landcruiser-with-AHC rear springs:

Left Rear: 48231-6A740

Right Rear: 48231-6A730
Again thank you IndroCruise for the information. I'm doing other things now but did want to acknowledge your reply. When I get back to the project and before the swap I will search for measured lengths of the -6A730 and 40 springs.

Does anyone have experience with AO4WD springs? Looks like Kings but USA based vendor saves freight. OEM would be roughly 300. Never heard of these but 200 seems reasonable.

Really appreciate the discussion. Yeti is just broken in at 260k still going strong with AHC which I love. Recently took maybe an hour to check level, flushed the system with pressures higher in the rear but good in the front. Fresh springs then a full sensor adjust should be like new. Moderate offroading with occasional towing. No issues with diligent maintenance.

IMG_5761.jpg

Does anyone have experience with AO4WD springs? Looks like Kings but USA based vendor saves freight. OEM would be roughly 300. Never heard of these but 200 seems reasonable.

Really appreciate the discussion. Yeti is just broken in at 260k still going strong with AHC which I love. Recently took maybe an hour to check level, flushed the system with pressures higher in the rear but good in the front. Fresh springs then a full sensor adjust should be like new. Moderate offroading with occasional towing. No issues with diligent maintenance.

View attachment 2624618

Hello Ray, this intrigues me as well. It looks like they are based out of Panama, but have an office in the US. I reached out to the email address listed for a spec sheet. I will follow up when I hear back.

Scott

Mmmmm – suggest proceed very carefully. Details from an Australian perspective are as follows:

About – AO4WD Store - https://ao4wd.com/about/
See also -- Australia Owned 4x4 - https://www.facebook.com/Australia-Owned-4x4-1666840176867796/

The addresses and phone numbers shown on this website are in Panama and Florida – nothing listed in Australia.

It is not clear what is “Australian” about this outfit, although the Terms & Conditions do refer to the “Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth)” – which is an Australian National law, but it is a somewhat strange reference because this legislation subsequently became the “Competition and Consumer Act 2010” and is now called the "Australian Consumer Law". Contracts are said to be “governed by the laws of New South Wales” which is an Australian State.

How does this work for a Panama company trading with a customer in USA??

The website “About” blurb says “AO4WD” is a brand of Panama Parking S,A” – but a search does not reveal a website for this Panama company. Some corporate details can be found at -- https://opencorporates.com/companies/pa/456121

“AO4WD” does not appear in a search of IH8MUD nor does it appear in appear in a search of Australian "Land Cruisers On Line" forum LCOOL.org :: Index - http://www.lcool.org/forum/ (Site requires no-cost registration for membership and access).

Suggest call“AO4WD” at the phone numbers on their website and ask for more details about (1) what they supply, and (2) their sources of product.

Alternatively, maybe call or e-mail King Springs in Australia and ask whether “AO4WD” are a distributor of King Springs, specifically KTRS-79 for AHC LC100/LX470:
Home - https://kingsprings.com.au/
Phone: +61 7 5539 6700
Fax: +61 7 5539 6881
For Australian Enquiries
E-mail: sales@kingsprings.com.au
For All Overseas Enquiries
E-mail: export@kingsprings.com.au
Time at King Springs (near Brisbane Australia) is UTC/GMT +10 hours
Time in Las Vegas USA is UTC/GMT - 7 hours
4:00pm on Wednesday in Las Vegas is 09:00am on Thursday in Brisbane

Last edited:
My spidey senses were also tingling given the lacking responses on here and how it doesn't have a straightforward international distribution chain. I've got a few messages out so will keep the info flowing.

Hi - what happens if the rear springs are replaced but no rebalancing/checking pressures is done?

Not the end of the world. But probably good to measure to see if replacing the springs actually helped. Not like you can "adjust" the rear pressure once you have new springs in.

I installed the King's this weekend. I didn't want to remove both rear wheels so here is a quick writeup on how I did it:

1 - break loose all the rear lug nuts. Also undo the sway bar end links (both sides) while the vehicle is on the ground

2 - Keeping the right wheel on the ground, jack up the left side of the rear axle until you can fit a fairly tall jack stand under the frame rail. Remove the left wheel once it is in the air

3 - let the jack down so the left side of the axle droops way down. The shock will limit it from going all the way. If it touches the ground before bottoming out then you need a taller jack stand.

4 - Remove the lower shock bolt and play around with the jack height until you can slide the shock bottom off. This was the part I had the most trouble with. It takes some muscle, a pry bar, and a rubber mallet but eventually you will slide it off.

5 - With the shock off, the axle can now droop low enough to pull the spring out. Keep an eye on the brake lines and the diff breather, but I had no issue with these. Replace the old spring with your new shiny yellow spring.

6 - Jack the axle back up a bit to where you can muscle the lower shock mount back on. Replace and torque the bolt.

7- Put the wheel back on, jack it high enough to get the jack stand down and put the wheel back on the ground

8 - repeat steps 2-7 on the opposite side

I tried it at first with the whole rear axle in the air but it didn't feel very stable on the 2 jack stands when moving the axle up and down. By keeping one wheel down at all times, it felt a lot more stable. It also allowed for plenty of flex to easily swap the springs.

I have only taken it for a quick drive around the block but can't say it feels much different. Perhaps over bumps it doesn't droop down as much. I'll be measuring the pressures and trying it loaded up soon and will report back.

5 - With the shock off, the axle can now droop low enough to pull the spring out. Keep an eye on the brake lines and the diff breather, but I had no issue with these. Replace the old spring with your new shiny yellow spring.
.... and suggest keep an eye on the Rear Height Control Sensor mounted on the cross-member forward of the rear differential, with linkage to the Rear Left Upper Control Arm -- could be "over-stretched", maybe mark and disconnect before dropping axle?

Look forward to seeing your data on AHC Neutral Pressures before and after the King KTRS-79 springs were installed.

In my case, after King KTRS-79 rear springs were in place, I fiddled with hub-to-fender heights via the Height Control Sensors and added a small Rear ‘Sensor Lift’ of about 12 millimetres (half-inch). AHC Neutral Pressures became Front: 6.9 MPa and Rear: 5.7 Mpa. Ride quality is a little firmer in the empty vehicle with the low Rear AHC pressure but not unacceptable (as judged by Mrs Indrocruise!). Some of the firmness does come from BFG KO2 “E rated" tyres run at 40psi – which is way different to the original “P rated” stock tyres and Toyota-recommended pressures of only 32psi!! The vehicle responds well to COMFORT>>SPORT switch and that is used a lot. Replacement ‘globes’ are still young and still yield ~14 graduations in the HI/LO Test. With Rear passengers or when loaded for touring, Rear pressures are “in the zone” and ride is very good. I added air-bags inside the rear coils when the new springs were fitted in case of a future drawer system and inevitable contents and possible towing requirements – but this has not happened yet. The airbags may be overkill with the King KTRS-79 springs.

AHC Rear Height Control Sensor.jpg

Last edited:
vehicle stats:
2005 lx 470 130k plus miles
Front dissent aluminum bumper
Rear steel dissent bumper w dual swing outs
Steel sliders
No drawers
Air lift 100
Pull AT Horizon trailer

I have been running stock springs that initially supported the extra weight with the air lift. The system was unable to go on H about a yr ago so I searched for solutions. I found a great local deal on oem springs and torsion bars. Springs had <5k miles on them. With the cruiser springs non ahc, The system was over sprung. Very bouncy given the ahc didn’t have enough weight to work. I put the stock spring back on and waited a few months for the back order king springs. Got to try them out loaded and it drove like a dream. I have the air bags in but the springs didn’t need the assist. Goes up to H loaded. If you plan to keep your ahc and it’s healthy give em a go. I’ll wait a little long to convert to conventional.

99C2B828-46AA-46A9-82D0-182EECD599F9.jpeg

vehicle stats:
2005 lx 470 130k plus miles
Front dissent aluminum bumper
Rear steel dissent bumper w dual swing outs
Steel sliders
No drawers
Air lift 100
Pull AT Horizon trailer

I have been running stock springs that initially supported the extra weight with the air lift. The system was unable to go on H about a yr ago so I searched for solutions. I found a great local deal on oem springs and torsion bars. Springs had <5k miles on them. With the cruiser springs non ahc, The system was over sprung. Very bouncy given the ahc didn’t have enough weight to work. I put the stock spring back on and waited a few months for the back order king springs. Got to try them out loaded and it drove like a dream. I have the air bags in but the springs didn’t need the assist. Goes up to H loaded. If you plan to keep your ahc and it’s healthy give em a go. I’ll wait a little long to convert to conventional.

View attachment 2644944
Glad I did not went with the LC100 oem springs. I almost got an oem non-ahc 100 series coil springs, but thought of the same scenario like what you went through, the over-sprung behavior. I will be switching soon to the ktrs-79 springs as well soon as I have no plans removing the ahc.

I recently balanced the front end and adjusted pressure into spec. The rear was reading 7.1Mpa. With no history on replacing springs, I picked up new LX springs. Installed them today and the pressure only dropped down to 6.9Mpa. Temperature sensor is unplugged. I repeated the test with similar readings. Heights of front and rear are 19-1/2 and 20-1/2”. Level sensors rear 0.0/0.0 in front and -0.5in in rear. My graduation test yielded 11.
I am planning on flushing the AHC. Should I expect any change? I also have a set of stock 10mm spacers if flushing does not help.
I’m fully stock with no 3rd row or any accessories.
2BD03BA2-DFBC-4CBB-A264-5D43860D9109.jpeg
032D80FF-5025-466D-A808-937B1208EE05.jpeg
C9275375-FB4C-435C-AFA5-9596BFB4381B.jpeg
8254626E-7DC9-4E5C-B050-902A6F764544.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently balanced the front end and adjusted pressure into spec. The rear was reading 7.1Mpa. With no history on replacing springs, I picked up new LX springs. Installed them today and the pressure only dropped down to 6.9Mpa. Temperature sensor is unplugged. I repeated the test with similar readings. Heights of front and rear are 19-1/2 and 20-1/2”. Level sensors rear 0.0/0.0 in front and -0.5in in rear. My graduation test yielded 11.
I am planning on flushing the AHC. Should I expect any change? I also have a set of stock 10mm spacers if flushing does not help.
I’m fully stock with no 3rd row or any accessories.View attachment 2650581View attachment 2650582View attachment 2650583View attachment 2650584

Watching this. Going to be doing the same pretty soon. New rear springs, all four globes and balancing of pressures (as best I can).

I’m fully stock with no 3rd row or any accessories.View attachment 2650581View attachment 2650582View attachment 2650583View attachment 2650584
When I went to buy new LX AHC springs in 2017 I was told they weren't available so I bought LC AHC springs instead. The new springs and a 30mm spacer got me 6.8 with the temp sensor plugged in and 6.0 with the temp sensor unplugged. That was with when my LX was stock and had a full tank of gas with the 3rd row seats in. I found out later I lucked out, read here on that the 06/07 AHC springs had a slightly higher spring rate for some reason. Last I checked with a roof rack/sliders/skid plates/3rd row my rear was 7.0 with the temp sensor plugged in, I didn't unplug it to check the pressure since i'll probably be upgrading to Kings next year if I get a alum bumper and move my spare tire back there.

When I went to buy new LX AHC springs in 2017 I was told they weren't available so I bought LC AHC springs instead. The new springs and a 30mm spacer got me 6.8 with the temp sensor plugged in and 6.0 with the temp sensor unplugged. That was with when my LX was stock and had a full tank of gas with the 3rd row seats in. I found out later I lucked out, read here on that the 06/07 AHC springs had a slightly higher spring rate for some reason. Last I checked with a roof rack/sliders/skid plates/3rd row my rear was 7.0 with the temp sensor plugged in, I didn't unplug it to check the pressure since i'll probably be upgrading to Kings next year if I get a alum bumper and move my spare tire back there.
I do not see a difference in part numbers between an 06 LX and my random search of an 03 LX.
RH 48231-6A730
LH 48231-6A740

I was expecting the pressure to drop more than it did. I will perform the flush and see what that changes.
Since the springs vary pressure and I am stock with new OEM springs, then I really should not be looking at this with a magnifying glass. I think it's very close to how it would have been when it first rolled off the floor.
Also, the verbiage in the FSM makes me think there is % error in reading when using the "hand-held tester" compared to the gauge. "The cylinder pressure read by the Lexus hand-held tester is estimated by the pump emitted pressure so the pressure is approximately 1.2MPa higher..." This may be the reason why results vary between vehicles and users. I would be curious to compare results with the LSPV gauge (SST) since it would be live pressure and not estimated. Anyone have one of these tools?

1618915595038.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom