CM06 - bring the 80 or the 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lslc.org
I guess this can go here... If not I'm sure someone will move it. :D

Heading back to CM06 and trying to decide to bring the 40 or the 80. This is a family trip with my wife and 2 boys (5&7). This is my third trip to Moab and my second with the family. The 40 is well setup for our family and we had a blast together in '04.
But, now we have this 80. It's factory locked and by the time we go it'll be lifted on 35's. It won't have sliders or aftermarket bumpers though. The 40 is sprung over, locked, etc.

Pros for 40: Setup for hard trails - no worry for damage. Open air wheeling in Moab. Will be towed out so tow rig is extra vehicle in case family doesn't want to wheel one day.
Cons for 40: Cold in the morning, especially for long trips like the drive to Elephant Hill. Have to find a place for tow rig and trailer.

Pros for 80: Comfortable. No worries about weather. No parking worries.
Cons for 80: No armor means keeping to easier trails - don't really want to damage it if I can help it. Stock gears with 35's, not sure how the trip out will be. Enclosed in - not the same as being out in the open.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud here and thought I'd get some other input.

tow the 40 with the 80 and use both

I had considered that, and it hasn't been ruled out yet. 315's and stock gears probably wouldn't be too happy towing a 40 on a 16' trailer along with all of our stuff.

I'd take the 40. You said it yourself, open air in Moab is the ticket. The 80 is like the 100 in that it is quiet and comfortable, but open air vehicles are awesome in remote places for wheelin'.

I've wanted a 40 for a while and hopefully I'll be able to have one as a dedicated trail rig in the next year or two. It would be sweet to take my family through Moab in a 40. If I could afford a 40 right now, I'd tow it to Moab with the 100.

Either way, have fun, and I'll see you there!

Jason,

Sounds like you've got a nice 80. Moab is meant for 80 series. The long wheel base makes it a formidable rig on the slick rock. Having said that, I think you should have protection. Not only sliders, but T-Case skid plate and rear bumper.
Then you can do the hard trails. If you've been to CM already, your idea of bringing the 80 and doing easier trails is not a bad one. Some of them can be real fun, like Elephant Hill.

Regards

Alvaro

You'll want sliders, tcase skid-plate and a good solid rear bumper for the 80. Once you have that, you'll practically unstoppable on most of the trails in Moab.

I ran Hell's Revenge and Golden Spike last year with 35s and stock gears -- no problem.

Then again...if you're towing the 40, it would be nice to have a 2nd vehicle in case you need to go in 2 directions (you vs. the wife).

NorCalDoug said:
Then again...if you're towing the 40, it would be nice to have a 2nd vehicle in case you need to go in 2 directions (you vs. the wife).

Or break something 1000 miles from home. If you had armor I'd say bring the 80, but why risk damaging the sheetmetal? Now you can explain why you have to order all those products -> to bring the 80 to CM07!

40...don't be a wussy and drive a yuppie mobile :flipoff2:

JasonH said:
I guess this can go here... If not I'm sure someone will move it. :D

Heading back to CM06 and trying to decide to bring the 40 or the 80. This is a family trip with my wife and 2 boys (5&7).

'Nuf said... bring the 80.

nuclearlemon said:
40...don't be a wussy and drive a yuppie mobile :flipoff2:

Hmm, lets see. Bring the 80: nice relaxing enjoyable ride through the desert country(at this time we would be lost on wipe out hill). Bring the 40, have to leave the trail early, by the time the crew gets back from the fun ass trail run other owner has t-case pulled out to fix leaking seal. Yeah, think i'd take the 80 and enjoy the Latte(p.s, I hate coffee) and watch the trail via GPS/Laptop:flipoff2: But what do I know, I drive I 4runner.

I'd say ask Shotts about what to bring to Cruise Moab:flipoff2:

I had the same delima last year. I took the LX450 and am planning on taking it again this year. Just the 6 hour ride in the LX450 there made it worth it. But, the trails were great for the longer wheel base and with the front and rear lockers, it actually wheeled better than my 40 does. Even better, when you get stuck behind a BJ40 or BJ70, you can roll up the windows and turn on the AC and not gag to death.

The other thing is the amount of storage room in the 80 vs your family of 4 in the 40.

I would get sliders if nothing else. I know Slee and Hanna tend to bring them with them if you pre-order it.

but there's the cool top down in a snowstorm factor of the 40 :D

everybody you pass checks out the 40's, nobody looks at the 80s. then, you catch that great tan while you wheel in moab, you cruise down main with the windshield down...it's just more fun!

NorCalDoug said:
You'll want sliders, tcase skid-plate and a good solid rear bumper for the 80. Once you have that, you'll practically unstoppable on most of the trails in Moab.

Fact.

Armor the 80 and take it. You will be flat-out amazed.

Alright guys and gals, thanks for the input! I'm not gonna be able to pay for a full set of armor for the 80 before this year's trip, so we're gonna tow the 40 out again. I've got to get a new locker for the rear of the 40 and some new tires, so I'm gonna try to get that done first.

The 80 will be ready by CM07! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom