Clean 62 Build Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright folks - I finally scored an insanely nice; 240K miles, never left SoCal, Fj62. It sat for nearly 6 years and I drove it from Orange County to Houston over 2 days. The truck was flawless.

However I have a bit of a conundrum, how to build it.

I want to stay as close to stock as possible while enhancing the amazing qualities of the 62.

Javier will be taking the truck in to the shop in the next few weeks. My guess - we are going to need all new suspension, knuckle rebuild, belts and hoses, and a handful of other deferred maintenance issues.

Right now - all I have on the docket is a lighting upgrade, dome, cargo and all exterior lights - a very minor lift - and 33s. What else should I consider for a truck like this?

Alright folks - I finally scored an insanely nice; 240K miles, never left SoCal, Fj62. It sat for nearly 6 years and I drove it from Orange County to Houston over 2 days. The truck was flawless.

However I have a bit of a conundrum, how to build it.

I want to stay as close to stock as possible while enhancing the amazing qualities of the 62.

Javier will be taking the truck in to the shop in the next few weeks. My guess - we are going to need all new suspension, knuckle rebuild, belts and hoses, and a handful of other deferred maintenance issues.

Right now - all I have on the docket is a lighting upgrade, dome, cargo and all exterior lights - a very minor lift - and 33s. What else should I consider for a truck like this?

If I were you I would embrace the rugged looks of the FJ 62. However don’t go overkill! Throw on a ARB bumper and some aftermarket auxiliary lights. Roof rack doesn’t hurt…. Here is mine!

4BA1BAEB-3E5A-4DF1-9766-3479C2A922A3.jpeg

A480591F-D549-486E-BD93-A0AA6B45C7DB.jpeg

Closer to stock would be 31 inch tires. That's still a signficant jump up from the OEM 225/75r/15.

Regear it if you're going to 33 inch tires or better yet put in a 5 speed manual transmission. Otherwise the driving experience will be straying towards the dogs. They're slow enough already.

Perhaps an ARB locker in the rear as an enhancement.

I’m in houston and I’ve got a semi built up 60 and a stock 62. You should drive the 60 before you decide what you want to do.

49607AAE-3958-4189-867D-1DCF2FA9E5E4.jpeg

The A440F automatic transmission is the weak link on the FJ62 and they're prone to failure at this age. The gearing and power loss through the auto will be painful with 33s, most people don't run 33s with the auto unless they re-gear. The gearing of the H55F is perfect for 33s. The swap is not cheap or as simple as Mud makes it sound though.

Mine on 33s with the stock height OME suspension

PXL_20211002_211648135.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

The A440F automatic transmission is the weak link on the FJ62 and they're prone to failure at this age. The gearing and power loss through the auto will be painful with 33s, most people don't run 33s with the auto unless they re-gear. The gearing of the H55F is perfect for 33s. The swap is not cheap or as simple as Mud makes it sound though.

View attachment 2939236

I really like this. I didnt know you could run 33s on stock height

View attachment 2939236
I’m on 33s on my A440F…. It gets around pretty good.

Last edited:
Put 31”s on it, maybe add a roof rack, but don’t do anything else other than baseline it and drive it.

Too many people throw a ton of sh-it on their rig then never do anything but drive it around town. They (the LCs and their owners) look ridiculous.

I bought a 1990 62, removed the after market wheels and huge old 33” tires, replaced them with OEM chrome wheels and 31” tires, refreshed a ton of mechanical parts and some other minor interior stuff with OEM, added some roof cross bars, and that’s about as far as I want to go. Keeping her 99% stock.

Rename this thread “Clean 62 Un-Build Advice” and thank me later.

75CCEB5C-F23D-432F-AA7A-F8588F1B0808.jpeg

Usage goals and budget???

Put 31”s on it, maybe add a roof rack, but don’t do anything else other than baseline it and drive it.

Too many people throw a ton of sh-it on their rig then never do anything but drive it around town. They (the LCs and their owners) look ridiculous.

I bought a 1990 62, removed the after market wheels and huge old 33” tires, replaced them with OEM chrome wheels and 31” tires, refreshed a ton of mechanical parts and some other minor interior stuff with OEM, added some roof cross bars, and that’s about as far as I want to go. Keeping her 99% stock.

Rename this thread “Clean 62 Un-Build Advice” and thank me later.

View attachment 2939685
This is the kind of advice I was looking for. What kind of suspension are you using? Stock Toyota?

Light offroading and a bit of time on the beach. Most of our travels are getting to the trail head to ride the bike, hike or camp. Max budget - 15k.

IMHO that is the perfect place to stop - except maybe upgraded stereo/speakers if you sill have original.

Just looked at your photos. So clean! Even the driver's seat looks perfect. With your stated use I wouldn't make any changes other than 31" tires and maybe some onboard air for the beach.

The gearing of the H55F is perfect for 33s. The swap is not cheap or as simple as Mud makes it sound though.

Not sure what's so hard about the conversion. H55F is around $2,500 new. I've source about everything but a front driveshaft and hydraulics for the clutch just incase I decide to go that route. Certainly didn't break the bank doing it.

Rename this thread “Clean 62 Un-Build Advice” and thank me later

Two trains of thoughts on this, why buy a 4WD Land Cruiser just drive around town is mine. New to the FJ62 compared to the FJ40. Ony had mine twenty nine years. Mine lives in a rural location and sees as much dirt as pavement. Thinking about lockers. Just driving thru the bar ditch from the street towing my 3/4 ton M101 can cause problem even in 4WD.

Looks like a solid truck. A keeper for sure.

Not sure what's so hard about the conversion. H55F is around $2,500 new. I've source about everything but a front driveshaft and hydraulics for the clutch just incase I decide to go that route. Certainly didn't break the bank doing it.

Two trains of thoughts on this, why buy a 4WD Land Cruiser just drive around town is mine. New to the FJ62 compared to the FJ40. Ony had mine twenty nine years. Mine lives in a rural location and sees as much dirt as pavement. Thinking about lockers. Just driving thru the bar ditch from the street towing my 3/4 ton M101 can cause problem even in 4WD.
“H55F is around $2,500 new”. Can you share where you found it for this price? I’m looking to upgrade and cheapest I’ve found is around $3,400. Thanks

“H55F is around $2,500 new”. Can you share where you found it for this price? I’m looking to upgrade and cheapest I’ve found is around $3,400. Thanks

I, as well as several other venders like VH, and Cruiser Outfitters sell them for around $2700ish not including the shifter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom