City Racer Dizzy or Jim C recurve? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
Trying to figure out the last part of the clean up from the PO's terrible desmog job. I rebuilt my carb which helped, replaced all the existing vac line, but it hasn't solved most of my vac problem woes. I have a city racer desmog carb on the way and a new VCV, because my truck didn't have one at all. I think my best option to get it running well and not die after a few minutes of running is to redo the vac setup on that side completely- the EGR delete was rough, and I found vac leaks from the inlet below the carb and the old block off plate he handmade, and open hoses on the other side. I really don't know how this thing ran when I bought it.

I think after I get the VCV on the passenger side put in and set up, the only thing after that is the dizzy stopping it from running and idling well. Is there any advantage to either other than how fast I get it? I'd like to keep it simple if possible, and get whatever works best with the new Carb- Snows coming in Colorado and my current car can't do snow at all.
My harbor freight vac pump says both sides of the dizzy hold vac, so both are a viable option so far.
Cheers!

Also, any opinions on readding a cat? last guy did a straight pipe and I can't stand how loud it is when it runs.

Get the distributor City Racer sells, then after you install it, send off your original distributor to Jim.
Then when you get your rebuilt distributor back from JC, swap it in and run it and keep the CR distributor as a spare.

I believe Jim rebuilds carbs too. That HAC (high altitude circuit) is something you should keep in Colorado.

I guess Ill email Jim C today, can't go wrong with doing both. @MoaByte I've been looking for a good one. judging from the burns and weird stuff I found in the truck when i pulled all the carpet to clean it, PO was a crackhead, which explains why he removed the HAC :/

I haven't had any luck emailing Jim. I understand he is a busy guy. Maybe call him 740/862-2604 . You could put a DUI dizzy and a Holley Sniper...

Sorry for the thread hijack, but reading this made me wonder. Is there any physical way to tell if a distributor has been recurved? I ask because my truck was desmogged before I bought it and I'm still trying to figure out how well it was done. There are signs of good work (runs reasonably well, no vacuum leaks) and signs of not-so-good work (sloppily run vacuum lines, Took POs Aisan carb and replaced it with a Weber). I'm curious/skeptical of whether the distributor was done.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but reading this made me wonder. Is there any physical way to tell if a distributor has been recurved? I ask because my truck was desmogged before I bought it and I'm still trying to figure out how well it was done. There are signs of good work (runs reasonably well, no vacuum leaks) and signs of not-so-good work (sloppily run vacuum lines, Took POs Aisan carb and replaced it with a Weber). I'm curious/skeptical of whether the distributor was done.

mid not physically marked by the person who did the work the. Probably not. Better test is if when running 87 octane fuel do you get pinging or knocking under acceleration? If you do it’s probably not been recurved. If you do you can try running the lesser aggressive advance port. Also you can fill up with high test and if t goes away good chance the dizzy is t adjusted.

I haven't had any luck emailing Jim. I understand he is a busy guy. Maybe call him 740/862-2604 . You could put a DUI dizzy and a Holley Sniper...

I too didn't have any luck emailing Jim. I did finally call and was able to talk with him about recurving my dizzy.

Jim does fantastic work. My carb is still purring after he rebuilt it 15 years ago.

Just had my Dizzy recurved by Jim C. It took 4-5 weeks but he was good about the e-mail thing when he got it and when it was finished. My guess is he is just extremely busy and does not want to spend most of his time on electronic communication.

I'll likely send it off to Jim C at the end of winter, College and a coffee job don't leave too much money for the cruiser. I've ordered the cty racer dizzy as well now and some spare vac line, Really hoping this finally gets it to run well! thanks all.

Shoot. Maybe I'll cancel that order and try my own recurve in the meantime. I didn't know there was anything to worry about between points and the electric one I have, side effect of being born long after carbs and dizzys went outta style. Can I make that dizzy work without blowing anything up? I read a few posts about the Non USA dizzy having problems that I wont be able to fix easily- Not much access to a garage, alot of this stuff I'm doing asap before the snow gets here, then a bit while it is here

It’s worth calling and talking to city racer about it

I just did a desmog and didn't recurve my dizzy. I'm also in need of a carb rebuild I have to run it with choke cracked on. But it runs great I'm planning on doing the Holley sniper this winter and was curious if I got a dui distributor now if it would hurt anything or would it help. Thank you

Do it yourself. On the Rushing Turdle post number 154. $17.

The late Aisan carb is an amazing piece of engineering. It would be the best choice to keep the original function.
HEI distributors: Many come with cheap components and are not the quality of the AC Delco distributors they are patterned from. If you go this route check out DUI, people are happy with them. They have a great timing curve and are easy to install. I found wires fit best if you install it 180° off and rearrange your wires accordingly.

@NeverGiveUpYota I was actively reading that thread after finding you tell someone else to do that when I got the notification you posted on my thread, crazy. I think that's the route I'm gonna go, will still call City Racer when they're open tomorrow and see what they think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom