Chinese knock off carb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening, looking for some advice on a Chinese knock off carburetor (Amazon special).
Here are the details:
- 74 F.5 engine came with a Weber carb
- removed Weber and installed Chinese knock off
- carb has been used for 6+ months with no issues, been on the road for the last month and about 400 road miles on it.
- changed out the fuel pump last week, first trip after was great, truck ran well.
- On the way home , I was on the exit ramp and let off of the gas and it seemed off. Pulled in to get gas and it wouldn’t idle. Got home and checked timing, idle adjustments, typical vacuum leaks, idle solenoid. Just couldn’t get it to idle, parked it for the night.
- fired right up the next day and idled like nothing was wrong.
- fired it up today and it was back to the iradict idle again. One minute it’s fine and the next it wouldn't run. Check for vacuum leaks, checked the idle solenoid. Nothing seemed to make sense why one min it was fine and the next a drop in vacuum and rough to almost no idle at all.
- pulled the horn, revved up to 2k and then put a gloved hand over the carb several times. Didnt seem to shake any thing loose, still idled fine for several minutes and then it wouldnt. Fuel in the sight glass was consistent so i dont believe the pump is the issue. I checked and the nozzle seemed to spray fine too.
- pulled the carb, checked the intake (no visible cracks), checked all hose connections, re-torqued the manifold nuts (a couple got a 1/4 turn before clicking). Disassembled the carb, pulled the jets, sprayed in the oraffices, and the jets too. I did have one small spec boil out of the main jet.
- wondering if there is something else I need to check before I reassemble. The carb seems a good copy of the OE and I used the schematic to disassemble-reassemble.

Thanks for any and all assistance and advice.

3A9754FD-4EB3-4C3F-AE6E-3FE9431BF5F8.jpeg

30850ED4-A0F6-4249-B4F4-5BEFD649049F.jpeg

4778A5F3-1302-47FB-BE85-8AED48AA513C.jpeg

A32F02EE-F50C-40BD-B258-4B97CB6B9F8B.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Matt, kinda had a hunch but wasnt sure how to diagnose. When I cut the power it cuts out like it should. Reconnect and seems fine. Do they work intermittently?
Would a stock solenoid work as a replacement, or do i need to pull it and clean a contact or something?

so I went back through the carb, removed the solenoid, blew out all ports i could find and then reassembled. I did find some fine filings once everything was back together, not sure what port they came out of. Reinstalled and started the truck, seems to be back to normal. So my guess is I either knocked something loose in the carb after several months of the new fuel pump had some fine filings that clogged up the idle circuit. Raining so it will be several days before i can road test.

so I went back through the carb, removed the solenoid, blew out all ports i could find and then reassembled. I did find some fine filings once everything was back together, not sure what port they came out of. Reinstalled and started the truck, seems to be back to normal. So my guess is I either knocked something loose in the carb after several months of the new fuel pump had some fine filings that clogged up the idle circuit. Raining so it will be several days before i can road test.

i would install a NEW FJ60 THICK media type fuel filter on your system before you drive it or start the engine again ..........

HERE is what you need :

DO not install any other filter this BLOCKS ALL foreign matter 99.9% SOLID results ...

1626663967687.png

1626663980592.png

thanks, will need to check it out. Still wondering if the new fuel pump contributed to the metal pieces i found after flushing out the carb, or maybe it was in there all along and finally dislodged.
thanks again!

I am using a fuel cut solenoid from an aisan in my amazon special. I traced an earlier inconsistant idle to that part. Never a problem since, and it runs and idles extremely well.

Good to know, after I cleaned it i only started it up to get it to temp. I will look in to it, I’m sure Matt was spot on with his recommendation. Drove me nuts as everything is new or rebuilt. And the hit end miss when it acted up made me question the solenoid.
Any one in particular on Amazon to buy from?

just wanted to add to those who buy a Chinese knock off carb, disassemble and clean out the ports before putting in to service. I read about it, I rolled the dice and lost. The good news is after cleaning out the filings it is running normal again.

Last edited:
I am using a fuel cut solenoid from an aisan in my amazon special. I traced an earlier inconsistant idle to that part. Never a problem since, and it runs and idles extrem
I am using a fuel cut solenoid from an aisan in my amazon special. I traced an earlier inconsistant idle to that part. Never a problem since, and it runs and idles extremely well.
So the two wire solenoid from your Aisan fit just fine in the chinese carburetor? I was worried how I was going to connect the wires. I read somewhere that only one wire needs to be connected to the solenoid and the other ground to the car.

Didn't show a pic of what your spacer block is?

So the two wire solenoid from your Aisan fit just fine in the chinese carburetor? I was worried how I was going to connect the wires. I read somewhere that only one wire needs to be connected to the solenoid and the other ground to the car.

Yes, both work. The 1 wire solenoid is fed +12v with ignition. The two-wire solenoid is ground-switched via emissions computer to open/close. Feed +12v to one wire and ground the other to a good ground and it will stay open with ignition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom