Chasing a single clunk as the car changes direction - video [Solved] (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well... It seems I might have found the source of the clunk... Whilst under the car setting up the GoPro again I happened to push the rear fuel tank - and it shifted ever so slightly. And I suddenly realised that this could be something that would move as the load shifted on the car, heard more when the GoPro was on the chassis, and fairly random in terms of suspension loading., and with the occasional twang sound - etc. So I tightened up the mounting bolts (which didn't need that much), and went back to the dogbone roundabout I now know so well.... and .... no clunk. 3 times round the dogbone, looking like the lost tourist.

What was it someone said in a different thread - even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again :)

I'll know for sure in a few days and so I'll post back to close the loop properly. Am cautiously optimistic...

Edit - I should also add this is a long range 180lt tank, not the standard subtank.

Cheers for all the input!

Last edited:
Had a mystery clunk myself. Found it when I tore everything down. Ended up being my springs making out with the timbren bumpstops:
1706115966178.jpeg

Shiny spot shows the rubbage.

Well... It seems I might have found the source of the clunk... Whilst under the car setting up the GoPro again I happened to push the rear fuel tank - and it shifted ever so slightly. And I suddenly realised that this could be something that would move as the load shifted on the car, heard more when the GoPro was on the chassis, and fairly random in terms of suspension loading., and with the occasional twang sound - etc. So I tightened up the mounting bolts (which didn't need that much), and went back to the dogbone roundabout I now know so well.... and .... no clunk. 3 times round the dogbone, looking like the lost tourist.

What was it someone said in a different thread - even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again :)

I'll know for sure in a few days and so I'll post back to close the loop properly. Am cautiously optimistic...

Edit - I should also add this is a long range 180lt tank, not the standard subtank.

Cheers for all the input!

And a week on... no clunk. So I am hopeful this is solved. What had happened was that the U bolts holding the tank on had stretched slightly over time, and whilst they were fairly tight, they were not tight enough, and this allowed the tank to shift ever so slightly on the U bolts causing the clunk.

Things that helped me - might help someone else:

- The GoPro mounted on various bits of the car was very good at showing the clunk to be in something OTHER than the steering, which is what I was convinced it was. When on the tie rod / drag link / panhard rods (front or rear) the noise was very quiet, compared to when it was on the chassis.

- It has been said in other threads, but noise can travel up the chassis and sound like it is coming from somewhere else. I was convinced that the noise was coming from the front, but as the GoPro moved back, the clunk became louder.

As ever, YMMV!

Finally figured out my noise…turned out old body mounts combined with frame mounted sliders were contacting the body and transmitting the noise through the floor pan…a bit of a massage with a pry bar and silence is now golden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom