Chasing a single clunk as the car changes direction - video [Solved] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are your springs close enough to catch on anything when the frame shifts in relation to the axle? There have been a few folks that have had spring deflection and it would contact a part of the spring perch. It doesn't have the twangy sound I would expect, but worth looking at.

Also look at the steering shaft where it penetrates the firewall. Probably not it, but worth a look.

You've done a good job of walking through everything in order. Now you need to stop back and look at the "what if" and "just by chance" stuff.

Yes, I would look at frame mounts and body mounts, sliders, shocks, sway bar mounts, and even the steering shock. Maybe that tapered mounting bolt is loose.
Steering shaft isn't catching anything, and I can replicate the clunk with shocks and steering damper removed. (I didnt drive it with all that removed at the same time!) So not those either. F & R sway bar hardware and bushes are new - inc. drop links. No sliders but I will look at the side steps and the spring perch... thats a possibility. I think my best chance is to work around the car with the video... then tear down the front end if nothing found! Todays video brought nothing new - the camera does not pick up the clunk very audibly when on the radius arms, or the rear lower control arm. (Or tie rods, previously)

So... Putting it on anything on unsprung weight results in a much quieter clunk as picked up by the camera. But is very audible when mounted on the chassis. I'll keep working the problem!

Like @BILT4ME said check the coil springs, specifically the passenger side right at the bottom of the frame/coil bucket. Look for fresh metal.

I just reaplaced springs last weekend and pulled the bumpstops in a effort to eliminate this noise…didn’t cure it…it’s only on right hand turns and almost feel like you feel the lugs rubbing through the floor pan…
no marks at all on any suspensio; parts, new axle rebuild, new Rcv birfs…new item bushings throughout
new 105 steering box and everything attached to it…
im still stumped

I just reaplaced springs last weekend and pulled the bumpstops in a effort to eliminate this noise…didn’t cure it…it’s only on right hand turns and almost feel like you feel the lugs rubbing through the floor pan…
no marks at all on any suspensio; parts, new axle rebuild, new Rcv birfs…new item bushings throughout
new 105 steering box and everything attached to it…
im still stumped
@Fosters - Similarly stumped! But doesnt sound like the same problem if yours is a rubbing noise - have you got a recording of it?

Check the bolt holes for radius arm bolts on the diff housing haven't flogged out and become elongated?
My 80 would make a heavy Click/clunk when torque went through the front axle, so braking, crossing a sloped driveway crossover, turning, braking.

Was a bit random. But also fairly consistent in certain scenarios

Radius arm bolt torque made no difference, torquing them to titeazfark helped for a few weeks, then the noise came back.

Also check for cracking in the chassis around the steering box, and the panhard rod brace bracket on the other side
@mudgudgeon which of the radius arm bolt holes had become elongated in your situation? All of them or just some?

@mudgudgeon which of the radius arm bolt holes had become elongated in your situation? All of them or just some?
When this was the case on mine all the hole were elongated. If that was the issue you would be able to see the markings around the hard ware. I had similar issue again last year ( a clunk when I hit the break or gas ) it was the control arm bushing.
Do you have a lift ? and if so is accompanied by adjustable panhad bar ?

I didn't see it in the pervious comments, but have you done the 5 pin mod and drove without your front DL installed?

@sunrk Did you track your noise down from this thread?

When this was the case on mine all the hole were elongated. If that was the issue you would be able to see the markings around the hard ware. I had similar issue again last year ( a clunk when I hit the break or gas ) it was the control arm bushing.
Do you have a lift ? and if so is accompanied by adjustable panhad bar ?
I pulled the radius arms off last night to inspect - holes are circular and bushes are good. No signs of the bushes or the bolts slipping. Refit, retorque and clunk still there.

Not lifted (but heavier duty suspension spring rate lifts it a little). Removed front springs and no sign of them chafing on the perch. Sway bar not getting close/touching the radius arm either.

Camera mounted on the tie rods, sway bar and panhard rod makes the clunk sound so much quieter.

i just watched the video again and i think the clunk is coming from the area below (26 second mark)
if you watch this bit over and over it seems like the clunk coincides with the spring on the quick compression stroke

1706054596310.png

is it a bit shiny just above the sway bar here?

1706055347245.png

Last edited:
Does the clunk occur while sitting still and steering slightly left to right?

Does the clunk occur while sitting still and steering slightly left to right?
Nope, never. Even when going lock to lock. And given that the clunk is quiet when the camera is on the Panhard road (or any unsprung weight) and noisier when on the chassis I am suspecting body mounts or a crack in the chassis that I haven't yet found. All the body mounts checked so far have not been the culprit (including a rear one that previously did clunk and was fixed).

How about jumping up and down on the front and rear bumpers??
(videos don't work)

i just watched the video again and i think the clunk is coming from the area below (26 second mark)
if you watch this bit over and over it seems like the clunk coincides with the spring on the quick compression stroke

View attachment 3540309

is it a bit shiny just above the sway bar here?

View attachment 3540310
Thanks for going over that again @robnicko - the 26 sec point certainly clunks on compression, but unfortunately it also clunks at other times too, not related to compression/expansion. I've rewatched that section a few times in the unedited footage and I think the shiny bit is water which was dripping down from the AC drain at the time. Certainly there is nothing that look like it is coming into contact on the car.

Tonights mission is to go back to body mounts on the logic that:

a) mounting the camera on the chassis gives louder clunks than when on the usual suspects (radius arm, tie rods or panhard)
b) it seems to be more to do with weight shifting around than steering movements per se
c) nothing clunks when examining for anything loose (or steering L to R when at rest).
d) I cant find any chassis cracks + think the camera would pick up more noise on the panhard/front tie rod if it was this.

Plus e) I can't think what else to do right now!

I see a mention of "Shiny", you may want to paint and suspect locations and then of course drive her fairly aggressive. Then check of course if any paint has been peeled.
Good use of a Gopro, I like it.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom