Charging(or not) issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 69/40 that has a 350 with the stock 3 speed all done by the PO. I have been slowly fixing various issues and charging was one I thought I had fixed, however the last few times I have driven it if I stop at a few places and have to restart it eventually the battery dies. I have replaced the alternator and regulator and when I test it I am getting 12.5 volts, not enough I know. Took the alternator to napa and it is bench testing at almost 13.9. Also when I disconnect the positive battery cable it dies which should not happen either. SO what next? What would be limiting the charge on the truck to 12.5? This is about the extent of my electrical knowledge, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Howdy! I learned the hard way on my 72 FJ 40/350 conversion that you cannot use an internally regulated alternator in conjunction with the external voltage regulator on the fender. It sounds like you need to start at the very beginning and chase down your entire system. I would guess that your Charging Voltage is not getting all the way back to the battery. John

actually I am getting the same voltage at the battery as I am at the alternator

This may be a dumb question but did you check your fuses? I had a similar problem on my 69/2F and came down to a simple fuse at the fuse box.

what kind is your battery

if you say optima take it back, never had any luck with the 2 i bought

wont waste my money on them again

not optima, a new interstate battery. I will check on the fusees but pretty sure they are all good.

I am having this exact same problem on my FJ40, getting like 10.3V at both alt and the battery, had it bench tested and they say its working fine...all my fuses are good and im stumped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom