Changing the spark plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It makes me feel that probably the coil's rubber end was having trouble going around the plug...
That was my thought too.. but I don’t have an answer for why the old plug would work. I would be planning to take it apart and get to the bottom of it though.

And I’d invest the small amount of money on a torque wrench. Spark plug torque is typically lower than it would seem it should be.. and as we all know damage to the head is very high-consequence.

That was my thought too.. but I don’t have an answer for why the old plug would work. I would be planning to take it apart and get to the bottom of it though.

And I’d invest the small amount of money on a torque wrench. Spark plug torque is typically lower than it would seem it should be.. and as we all know damage to the head is very high-consequence.

Yes, I am thinking I will have my mechanic do a borescope check and replace that mystery plug when I go for the next oil change.
Agree on the high consequence thread damage and will definitely buy a smaller torque wrench. I do have a big one but it does minimum 40 ft/lbs.
Fortunately there wasn't any sign of leakage anywhere and no oil on the old plugs! Also did the PCV valve same day and it was quick and easy.

My spark plugs are coming in today. Any particular anti-sieze I should use? Spark plugs were ordered from Toyota. 90919-A1002

Is this ok? No idea why it says Robot or Human....it's Wal Mart...lol.

My spark plugs are coming in today. Any particular anti-sieze I should use? Spark plugs were ordered from Toyota. 90919-A1002

Hey! I doubt if it matters. Any normal one, including this one, should be okay. I think I had the a small Autozone pouch one. That is not to say there won't be purists on this thread who swear by one particular brand, haha.

I realized how tensed I was when this happened! Only to find out it was nothing. My mechanic did all sorts of tests and even tried a bunch of plugs and all went in perfectly fine. I didn't have a small torque wrench but if you have that it becomes very easy!

There is no need for it unless you plan to leave them in for a really long time.

There is a high temp on from napa I use on my diesel injectors on my other vehicle.

I’ve also read that some torque them to spec and others do not. Any recommendations?

Looks like the torque spec is 15 ft lb

Changed the spark plugs. Cold cranking RPMs before would go to 2,000. Now 1500. Resting RPM after being on for about 5 minutes is around 800 RPMs. If I put it in reverse and push the brake around 700 RPMs.

Original plugs looked ok, gaps were slightly more than the new plugs.

AF82BC9E-D442-4B8E-A65E-D92A7F1E4A64.jpeg

76DDA659-96B4-44C8-BF15-D40B18E499B8.jpeg

Changed the spark plugs. Cold cranking RPMs before would go to 2,000. Now 1500. Resting RPM after being on for about 5 minutes is around 800 RPMs. If I put it in reverse and push the brake around 700 RPMs.

Original plugs looked ok, gaps were slightly more than the new plugs.

View attachment 3239851

View attachment 3239852
Plugs shouldn’t affect startup rpm. It’s computer controlled. I doubt they impact anything since Toyota is so conservative with maintenance interval. How many mile?

Plugs shouldn’t affect startup rpm. It’s computer controlled. I doubt they impact anything since Toyota is so conservative with maintenance interval. How many mile?
That is weird. It always goes to 2,000 RPMs and did not today. 129k

Does it take time for the ECU to adjust to the new plugs? Doing the morning drive (only 8 miles) and the dash showed 9mpg, whereas I normally get 13-ish. No misfires or codes. 🤔

I’ll put more miles on it this afternoon.

I’ve also read that some torque them to spec and others do not. Any recommendations?

Looks like the torque spec is 15 ft lb
ABSOLUTELY torque spark plugs to spec. That spec is much lower than most people would go by feel, and while you are unlikely to pull the threads out of the head it is a possibility. Price a head and install, against the inconvenience of setting the wrench and using it.. no-brainer.

Skid plate bolts? No. Spark plugs? Near the top of the list.

And yes anti-seize throws off this number, and isn’t needed in the first place. Even oil in the spark plug wells will, however there is little you can do about that.

ABSOLUTELY torque spark plugs to spec. That spec is much lower than most people would go by feel, and while you are unlikely to pull the threads out of the head it is a possibility. Price a head and install, against the inconvenience of setting the wrench and using it.. no-brainer.

Skid plate bolts? No. Spark plugs? Near the top of the list.

And yes anti-seize throws off this number, and isn’t needed in the first place. Even oil in the spark plug wells will, however there is little you can do about that.
Thanks. I torqued them to the point where it was super tight…to the point I was sure they wouldn’t come out. I can go back in and torque to spec. I just didn’t want to break the plugs.

Thanks. I torqued them to the point where it was super tight…to the point I was sure they wouldn’t come out. I can go back in and torque to spec. I just didn’t want to break the plugs.
15ft-lbf is nowhere near super tight.

Does it take time for the ECU to adjust to the new plugs? Doing the morning drive (only 8 miles) and the dash showed 9mpg, whereas I normally get 13-ish. No misfires or codes. 🤔

I’ll put more miles on it this afternoon.
Did you unplug the battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom