Changing differential oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I just searched 'diff oil', 'changing diff oil', 'changing differential oil' , etc. I can't seem to find any thread about this particularily. What is everyone doing. Any special tools needed? What oil? I drive an 86 HJ60.

Thanks!!

Go here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=26521&highlight=gear+oil+pump

I belive there is no reason to go synthetic; others may or may not think so.

Definately get the bucket pump if you are going to do routine maintenance on your Tranny, t-case, and diffs.

I use the 5-gallon bucket 80w-90 from Napa etc.
Here is the pump: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...tDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=13350&R=13350

Change it during the recomended intervals unless you do a lot of water crossings, mudding, etc.

Enjoy

Before you drain the oil loosen the fill plug!!!!!!! Many, many, many, 60 owners have had frozen fill plugs and only find this out after they drained the oil out.Always Pull the Fill Plug First

Dynosoar:zilla:

make sure the diff oil is nice and warm, also. I also don't think it's worth the extra $$ for synth oil in the diffs

allen drain plugs

I just swapped my drain and fill plugs with the allen-type on my last fluid change. if you wheel your rig, that might help the drain plugs from getting all bunged up.

I followed Dyno's advice. I removed the fill plugs first!

My local quick lube place, Master Lube, gave me new fill plugs FREE. :D They have a taller hex profile for easier removal to check the level. Allen type would also be excellent.

I left the shorties on the low (drain) side to keep them inside the protector ring.

Mine were tight the first time I removed them. I lacked a 6-point socket. I sprayed them the day before with WD-40. Then I went under the truck with the ratchet and a looooong cheater bar. I held the whole mess (socket, ratchet and bar) TIGHT onto the plug, while an assistant applied force to the bar. Popped it loose no sweat.

Front diff fluid was black, so I rebuilt the axle.

Rear diff fluid was golden honey colored. It probably was still good. I changed it anyway.

I just swapped my drain and fill plugs with the allen-type on my last fluid change. if you wheel your rig, that might help the drain plugs from getting all bunged up.

Those are nice...

Just remember to have the right sized allen wrench in your trail tool kit...

Those are nice...

Just remember to have the right sized allen wrench in your trail tool kit...

You are sooooo right! And most allen wrench kits have like 3mm up to 8mm, not 10mm. D'oh! I've got two in each cruiser and one that goes on my ratchet. They kind of multiplied like my 12mm and 14mm wrenches... ;)

Do the tranny and the T-case at the same time since it should be chance at the same interval.

You should also know how many oil you need.

80W90
Front diff : 3L
Rear diff :2.5L
Tranny : 4.9L
t-case : 2.1L

x3 on the allen head drain / fill plug replacement. It's a cheap OEM part and it will make you smile every time you have to take them off.

x3 on the allen head drain / fill plug replacement. It's a cheap OEM part and it will make you smile every time you have to take them off.

I especially like them because they allow me to remove them without busting out the grinder and punches.

little heat will help loosen them, too.

As for pumps; check out the boat oil section of your local stuffmart. I found a pump that screws on the top of the quart 90W bottles. about $6. Kinda slow, but gets the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom