Change timing belt (with pics)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Three pics here, showing a little cracking in the timing belt. Is there some life left here? Or time to change?
tmp_4744-20170428_183837-1763653302.jpg
tmp_4744-20170428_183829-907308149.jpg
tmp_4744-20170428_1838151323112588.jpg

How many miles on the truck?

Gather your parts (there are 'kits' available') and then change it (and water-pump) when you have time. Yours shows age and fatigue but as already mentioned....it isn't going to grenade on you anytime soon. The belts are pretty tough and don't normally fail (break) by fatigue alone.

Most often a pulley fails (seizes) and shreds the belt.

Another thing worth mentioning is: 'Mileage' is NOT the only factor when considering the time to change the belt. The belt is reinforced rubber and like most rubber will begin to crack/fatigue with TIME alone. If your belt has more than 100K miles on it or is more than 8-9 years old, odds are...its time to change it.

You will hear of folks here on the forum stating they didn't change their belt until 200+ thousand miles....etc, but that is just inviting trouble.

Change yours soon and you'll be good to go. Most of the 'kits' have the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, tensioner and some have cam and crank seals. Do it 'right' while you have it all open.

Lol...still figuring out how I'm going to do mine...will look like a grenade went off if I tackle alone for the first time...but, on the plus side, I have all the right parts already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom