chain saw recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've been putting this one off for a while, but probably need to step up and buy a chainsaw. whats the brand of choice these days, and 16, 18, or 20? Anyone got a good hookup with a dealer? local to Greensboro.

I'd prefer not to break the bank, but dont want to waste money on anything green, yellow(poulan), or red (homelite). And not good old harbor freight. I was leaning toward stihl or husqvarna

Stihl MS271 Farm Boss 16". I have the old MS270 Farm Boss and from what I hear, the 271 is even better (which is hard to believe). It's a good, solid ground saw. Not a pro saw, but better than most homeowners will ever need. If you feel like 16" is not enough bar, you can get 18 or 20. For me, 16 is fine. I'm no lumberjack.

@weejub had a super nice one avail. Farmboss i believe but on the large side. Im a stihl fan.

I have a stihl ms250. Farm boss’s little brother. I couldn’t justify the extra cost based on my intended use.

One thing that drove me insane was how much of a pita it was to start. I followed the directions religiously and used engineered fuel. When I finally took it in for service, on of the old guys showed me how to ‘not’ start it. Ever since I used his ‘do not do it this way’ method it’s been great.

I have a stihl ms250. Farm boss’s little brother. I couldn’t justify the extra cost based on my intended use.

One thing that drove me insane was how much of a pita it was to start. I followed the directions religiously and used engineered fuel. When I finally took it in for service, on of the old guys showed me how to ‘not’ start it. Ever since I used his ‘do not do it this way’ method it’s been great.

Please share...

?

kBiew32.jpg

Idea: Find a decent neighbor. Buy HIM a chainsaw. Sit back and watch him repay your generosity.

Todd, make me a frittata

Idea: Find a decent neighbor. Buy HIM a chainsaw. Sit back and watch him repay your generosity.

I have kept two separate neighbors from cutting limbs on themselves today..

Please share...

Tried to find a video but no dice...

Do not start it this way...set to run, chain bar lock NOT locked, right hand holding rear handle, trigger fully depressed, left hand holding cord and then push away / pull cord simultaneously. 2-3 pulls and starts every time regardless of flooded or not. Extreme caution needed as to not saw your shin/leg.

If you only own one, I would go with a saw you can at least get a 20" bar on - - and just shop the best deal on the below:

If you want to go higher performance, go with the MS261 - loved that saw - but it was loud. I called it the Banshee.

MS 271 - 3.5 BHP, 12.3 lbs (Farm Boss)
MS 261 - 4.0 BHP, 10.8 lbs (Commercial)
MS 291 - 3.8 BHP, 12.3 lbs (Homeowner)

I am not sure of the price difference. I would lean toward the Farm Boss if it is a lot cheaper.

Stay away from anything with "C-E" or "C" on it if unless they have perfected it - - wasn't a good thing early on - not sure anymore.

Tried to find a video but no dice...

Do not start it this way...set to run, chain bar lock NOT locked, right hand holding rear handle, trigger fully depressed, left hand holding cord and then push away / pull cord simultaneously. 2-3 pulls and starts every time regardless of flooded or not. Extreme caution needed as to not saw your shin/leg.

This is how I start my little saw cause I was a dumb**** and bought an arborist saw and they are hard as hell to balance and start on the ground LOL. I actually keep the bar lock ON at times . . . . :(

Stay away from anything with "C-E" or "C" on it if unless they have perfected it - - wasn't a good thing early on - not sure anymore.

So I have the MS251C (2018 model) this thing is a beast. It’s cut stuff that I shouldn’t have cut. But it did it with Little struggles. I love the easy start system. It’s a dream. And the best thing is the quick chain adjuster. This one is the 18in bar. Now granted it’s probably only got 5 hours of run/work time on it. I feel super confident in this saw. Start every time. Would totally recommend.

I'm considering an electric cordless chainsaw :bucktooth:

I went with an echo 18 inch pro grade. also got some premixed fuel, sharpening set, chaps, gooves, and scored a limited edition Teq helmet/shield/earmuff helmet. :grinpimp:

Figured I may as well get all that crap I'd need for a Uhwarrie work day

20181014_093904.jpg

Nice! I purchased a few echo 18” ones a couple years ago when I was on my Home Depot clearance/penny hustle. Sold one to a buddy who uses it occasionally. He’s had good results with it. I also have an echo backpack blower that I use a lot. Zero issues with it for the past 2 years.

I have a professional model, straight shaft Echo weed eater that is 30 plus years old and still running.

We probably have 30 pieces of Echo equipment at our shop, pretty much all we use and all we have used for almost 20 years.

Just got geared up and dropped my neighbors Bradford pear. he and his friend (both Vietnam vets) were about to really hurt themselves with a very poor choice of cutting direction. got all my junk on, threw a line around a crotch in the tree, took out a wedge cut, and had them start pulling as I did the finishing cut. had it limbed and sta led in 20 mins.

The best part was when he asked what he owed me...."a smile and a handshake, because you're my neighbor, not to mention a wartime vet".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom