Center Differential Lock Transfer Indicator Switch Problem (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. It may tear up the transmission. You want to unlock the center differential. It's not quicker, it's not safer. It will induce strange handling in fast corners and chew up your tires quicker. Leave it unlocked. The diff lock is for off road usage, not on pavement. Do you run around with your knees locked because the longer stride makes you go faster?

Thanks. I used it for 2 days. I found its run strange, but it seems it run faster. Ok i will switch off it. What is the knees locked? :~

My 2000 does the same thing. Lights do not come on but the CDL is working. I was in a bad spot the other day and couldn't get my cruiser out of a uneven ditch, pressed the CDL button and it came right out. I also had it detailed a couple weeks ago and apparently the CDL button was pushed and I drove it home. When backing into the garage I noticed something wasn't right. Next day I got in the cruiser and was dreading that I may have a drive line problem, looked down and saw the CDL button looked to be engaged and sure enough, that was the problem. Pushed the button, no more problems. I do wished the light worked, just in case someone else was driving it.

10ga, if you select Low gear, do this VSC off lights come on the dash?

I believe my wife experienced this problem today. She could tell there was more friction while turning. No lights on the dash. Already had 1 experience with the lights so she knows what to look for now. Sounds like from her description and my father-in-law who also drove it today that the CDL was engaged, but there was no indication. He said he depressed it and everything felt normal. Not a big deal for me if it still engages, but I would like the light for people who do not regularly drive the LC.

How do you know it is engaged?

How do you know it is engaged?

If this question is directed at me, she said it felt like the tires were really "sticky" while she was turning, which to me meant scrubbing on the pavement. After depressing the CDL button she said it felt "normal".

Just discovered I have this problem.

Found this web page that provides a good explanation/fix for the problem - Lexus LX470 (Toyota Landcruiser) 4WD Center Differential Lock Transfer Indicator Switch Problem

Anyone else ever had this problem, where the center differential locks, but the lights doesn't come on? And was the fix the same as this page describes?
View attachment 536700View attachment 536701
Sorry for pulling this from the dead, but I appreciate the pictures and the notes on them, especially "front propeller shaft". I pulled and replaced a similar switch, but it was near the rear propeller shaft and I was a little irritated the cdl and vsc lights didn't display when I engaged the cdl. Seeing this picture put me in the right direction and replacing the right switch, thank you.

Let's revive this one... I replaced the switch. Still no illumination. haven't had the chance to get this into dirt or offroad somewhere to see if the center diff is indeed engaging or not. I am going to try to jack up one of the front tires to see if it spins when the lock is engaged. Any other tips for troubleshooting this no diff light, no low range light, no vsc off light coming on? the pwr and 2nd strt all come on fine when engaged.

I may need to go try it, but there should be a noticeable sound.

Any chance you swapped the wrong sensor like I did?

When I hit the center diff lock button there is a motor sound from the passenger side that sounds like it is engaging something. I will try to get it offroad somewhere to test but don't really want to go too far off if my center diff is not working... It was raining today pretty hard so I'll need to try the wheel spin test tomorrow...

I suppose there is a chance that I replaced the wrong one... there is one sensor on the t case that is facing straight up but I tried the connection to the replacement part and it was a different interface... there's another that is facing slightly towards the passenger side. I replaced the one tilting towards the passenger as that is the one that was referenced in the thread I read and the replacement part that I sourced is below and fit the connection:
Amazon product ASIN B001KSCYCI

Reactions: MJK
Hello. 4wd and CDL lights do not work in the dashboard. But the 4WD and CDL systems work. Of course, the car already had AHCs that had the system removed and replaced to the normal one. Why don't the lamps work? (landcruiser 100 v8 1998)

Last edited:
i read all the posts in this thread but I didn't find an answer for my particular case. I have a 2000 LX470 and i'm having the same problem. On a couple occasions I have bumped the CDL button by accident and don't notice my center diff is locked until it starts to drive strange. I simply push the button again and i'm back to normal. In my situation where the CDL is clearly working but the indicators are not what do i need to replace? Do i still need to replace the same switch mentioned by the images in previous posts? Those seem to point to be switch for actually engaging the CDL not for the indicator. Is it a fuse or led that i need to fix or is there more to the same switch mentioned? so it's a part of that switch which would still need to be replaced to get the indicators working even if the CDL function is ok?

i read all the posts in this thread but I didn't find an answer for my particular case. I have a 2000 LX470 and i'm having the same problem. On a couple occasions I have bumped the CDL button by accident and don't notice my center diff is locked until it starts to drive strange. I simply push the button again and i'm back to normal. In my situation where the CDL is clearly working but the indicators are not what do i need to replace? Do i still need to replace the same switch mentioned by the images in previous posts? Those seem to point to be switch for actually engaging the CDL not for the indicator. Is it a fuse or led that i need to fix or is there more to the same switch mentioned? so it's a part of that switch which would still need to be replaced to get the indicators working even if the CDL function is ok?
Sounds like your CDL mechanism is working fine, just not illuminating the dash light. This is likely solved by replacing the detector switch on the transfer case (posts #1 & #32) or, less likely, bad dash bulb. Start with the switch.

If no dash lights come on when the CDL is engaged, it is almost certainly the t-case sensor. The Beck Arnley one above worked for me with the same symptoms.

At least on my 05, when everything works correctly the CDL cluster indicator now illuminates as does the VSC OFF. I'm not 100% sure yours works the same way, but either way the switch is the first step. It costs $20 and will take you 20 min to swap.

Thanks! I will give the t-case sensor a try! I will report back how it went.

Read this first: (hint, you'll want a 27mm wrench)

Read this first: (hint, you'll want a 27mm wrench)
Sage advice there ^^^
Replace the sensor and exercise the thing off road for about a few weeks to a month. If it’s anything like mine it’ll likely start working intermittently then will work all the time after you wake it up from it’s slumber. Also, once mine started working again and indicating as such on the dash, you can definitely hear a quick whirring then a audible snap/click when it engages. Satisfying snap, not something breaking snap :)

Uh oh.. I've already ordered the part and a 27mm wrench... unfortunately someone on that thread said it was important to use a 12" 27mm wrench. I didn't even think about the length. the wrench i ordered is 14" long. Oh well.. I'll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom