Castle nut question on steering linkage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
78’ FJ40 US-spec

Been scouring the internet for photos of this but I can’t find a clear shot. I think this is a non OEM end (drag link end?)

The threads are super long and I can’t remember if the castle nut should be snug to the bottom of the center arm or lined up with the hole. Kind of an important thing to get right, so any info would be helpful. Any torque specs would be extra appreciated

Cheers

7CFAFC60-D81A-4862-B407-D9FF8DA9857E.jpeg

Yes the nut should be tight against the center arm but the cotter pin should be going through the nut also. If you replaced all the steering tie rod ends it's possible you put the wrong one here.

Yes the nut should be tight against the center arm but the cotter pin should be going through the nut also. If you replaced all the steering tie rod ends it's possible you put the wrong one here.
Oh weird. I didn’t install these, I was just taking it apart to measure something. That end hasn’t moved whatsoever, I just unscrewed the relay arm

Does this washer have anything to do with it? Showed up on my shop floor under the truck. Haven’t a clue what it’s for. Seems to have some hard rubber or even carbon? on it

E7622031-37A2-49A0-AD65-F32A0B024AC9.jpeg

8C6DDB84-4E1D-48BE-907B-18D36F50D2F4.jpeg

The washer is for your air cleaner. The tie rod end on your drag link belongs on the lower end of the relay rod.

The washer is for your air cleaner. The tie rod end on your drag link belongs on the lower end of the relay rod.
So I should swap this one, at the lower end of the relay arm with the one above on the drag link?

Won’t I just run into the same problem with too much space between the castle nut and the cotter pin?

image.jpg

So I should swap this one, at the lower end of the relay arm with the one above on the drag link?

Won’t I just run into the same problem with too much space between the castle nut and the cotter pin?

View attachment 3531802
No, what he is saying is that the first tie rod end that was too long belongs in the relay rod hole. The correct end with shorter threads will not reach through the relay rod. Get another tie-rod end for the centre link, the washer trick is only for emergencies to get you home. Best to check where else the wrong parts were used too.

For like $100 you can replace them all. If you grease them up with water proof grease they will last longer. Save any good used units for spares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom