Carl's new front Upper Control Arms review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
I installed the new front Upper Control Arms from Carl/JTS Parts & Accessories 2-nights ago. The installation was straightforward and took me approximately 2 1/2-hours to complete (including jack time, tool cleanup, etc.). This might have gone quicker if not for the corrosion issues my rig suffers from.

I had a complete alignment done by a local expert alignment shop (Mike @ Sunshine Automotive) where I have had alignments performed in the past on this rig after lift, etc. I have had other shops align the front end of this 100 but Mike always hits the bullseye...he is one of very few that knows what he is doing...and the results always speak for themselves!

The Carl's/JTS Parts & Accessorie's UCAs are supposed to offer some caster correction and the ability to increase the overall front A-arm assembly travel distance/articulation. I already have the Fox shocks which allowed quite a bit (relative to an IFS/100 anyway) more droop than the OME shock setup. It doesn't look like I can get much more droop with the new UCAs...maybe another 10-15mm...which still would be beneficial given the restrictions we face with the IFS 100 system.

But after driving my rig post install and post alignment yesterday and this morning at a variety of speeds including highway speeds I am 100% happy with the increased caster due to the design of these UCAs and 100% happy with my $995 purchase (plus alignment costs). Not since converting to the 35" and taller lift have I been happy/content with the steering response, particularly at highway speeds, due to not being able to get enough caster correction.

The difference with my set-up is night and day. The truck is once again near stock stable at highway speeds (75mph) and a pure joy to drive again due to the lack of "nervous steering" that results from not enough caster. The caster could not be returned to bona-fide stock amount but its darn close...close enough to notice a night/day difference/comparison.

Time will tell if the uni-ball is as durable and maintenance free as the stock ball joint. Carl has relayed to me he has torture tested his beta pair over the last 12-months and 20K miles without issue.

This upgrade really only applies to those that are running 35" and ~3-3.25" lift. Although it might benefit those running 33" and 2.5" of lift (this is what I ran up until 2-years ago) I can't remember what the steering was like compared to stock back then.

Just an FYI.

Dan

Last edited:
I've been eagerly awaiting your report on these. Carl had sold me on them already a month or two back on the advantages of them, and his own experiences on his 100. Now since you posted this about your steering, I'm 100% sold. They were already on my list of projects to complete, but now that is solidified, I am definitely buying those when I do all my lifting mods.

Spresso....would you please give us a rundown of your lift setup? I am currently running the normal OME/T-bar setup and 33's and would like to get a bit more lift if I am to go with 35's.

Spresso....would you please give us a rundown of your lift setup? I am currently running the normal OME/T-bar setup and 33's and would like to get a bit more lift if I am to go with 35's.

Here's my ROTM post that contains all the information on my rig:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/169441-featured-100-spressomon.html

FYI: The rear Fox shock conversion is, unless Fox has a post style upper mount for these types of shocks now (and they might), somewhat complex (for 100 owners anyway ;))...but the fronts are relatively easy. And Carl is running OME rears with the Fox fronts...

Can't compare to L shocks, though, those are the pinnacle of suspension development for the 100... :flipoff2:

BTW, nice job. If I ever go higher than my current 1" lift and 33s, these will be on the shopping list (assuming they hold up).

Can't compare to L shocks, though, those are the pinnacle of suspension development for the 100... :flipoff2:

Derek,

Is Schott's holding a gun to your head? Do you need help? :)

I like the idea of these arms. I just can't get over the price. I mean that is 3417 miles of driving at $3.50 a gallon. I'm actually thinking about ditching my 315s and going back to 285s. Save gas, get rid of the spacers, and get some ride quality back. Not that my ride quality is bad, but after driving some stock rigs recently they do ride better.

Derek,

Is Schott's holding a gun to your head? Do you need help? :)

I like the idea of these arms. I just can't get over the price. I mean that is 3417 miles of driving at $3.50 a gallon. I'm actually thinking about ditching my 315s and going back to 285s. Save gas, get rid of the spacers, and get some ride quality back. Not that my ride quality is bad, but after driving some stock rigs recently they do ride better.

Yep I hear ya. If you don't need 315's/35" it just doesn't make sense to go bigger especially from a cost/performance/issue perspective.

Christo advised me 3-years ago: "Make 33" the max tire height and everything is easier/better overall". But OTOH I do like the additional flotation and height the 315/35" give me in the terrain I drive it...but cheap it ain't ;).

How much down travel dose it really gain? (Aside from shock length limitation)

Would be there any advantages to run some spacers for the upper shock mount and bump stop, to gain (Down travel, more lift...) from this arm?

Gotta pay to play....... :grinpimp:

I am working on the roof rack stuff right now. Part of the inti rack is built in the back yard and I am out in the driveway messing with the factory roof rails to remove and put on the arb mounts.

Dan it's gonna take a while, but I'll be catching up to you :D

Spresso, with all this droop to burn, you thinkin' about running some 37s?

Spresso, with all this droop to burn, you thinkin' about running some 37s?

Well...never say never :D...but I think 35" is the max I want to deal with on a IFS 100...at least mine ;)

Would be there any advantages to run some spacers for the upper shock mount and bump stop, to gain (Down travel, more lift...) from this arm?

I think the real limitation is steering linkage and clearance for the outboard CV boot to not rub on the upper portion of the lower control arm...not to mention a more severe CV angle when the wheel is down/extended...

upper a-arms

The arms alone do not gain you any down travel. However, they allow for longer shocks, which allow more down travel. On these trucks with about 3" lift, there is only about 1.5" downtravel which is not much. I believe I am at twice that. The actual measurement of travel does not really tell you how the actual ride is improved. I am running limiting straps to prevent damage to the cv's and steering components. Care must be taken with these sort of mods.

Yep I hear ya. If you don't need 315's/35" it just doesn't make sense to go bigger especially from a cost/performance/issue perspective.

Christo advised me 3-years ago: "Make 33" the max tire height and everything is easier/better overall". But OTOH I do like the additional flotation and height the 315/35" give me in the terrain I drive it...but cheap it ain't ;).
You do stuff in your rig I wouldn't attempt in my rig on 33's. :lol:
But even on mellow trails you can point and go over stuff I have to pick my lines on. Which is rally nice if you want to enjoy the scenery rather than concentrate on driving all the time.

Some time we should take some comparison video of the two rigs, my stocker on 33's and your modified rig on 35's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom