CARB COOLING FAN – ON THE RIGHT TRACK? (with pix) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Running the 5 wires from the passenger side under the dash to the driver side was really slow and no fun, and the factory intake manifold mounting holes didn’t work for the thermo sensor mounting bracket because the manifold spring was in the way of the sensor, so I made an extension plate and moved the mounting bracket 2 inches towards the firewall and got the sensor to within 1.5 inches of touching the manifold:

screenshot.png

Finally, got everything connected - - Fire in the Hole!

Turn the ignition on, start engine, drive 20 minutes, shut off engine and… no fan. WTF!

Thus began a month long search for the problem, interrupted by life stuff. I wasn’t at all sure the thermo sensor worked, so I ran the hot oil resistance test and measured resistance of 50K ohms at room temp, dropping to 2K ohms at 275*. I think that means it works, yah?

Finally, after enough troubleshooting to last a lifetime the culprit turned out to be a measly ground connection from the fan to the fender – hard to trace but easy fix. And that did it – I now have a fully functional carb cooling fan installed in my 77 Federal FJ40, just in time for winter!

What I learned

Most of the info I found in my Mud searches did not come from Toyota. In fact, they provided a paucity of it in their body of workshop literature. Nope, our Mud family was where I found the most useful info, from your own experiences. Even a few electrical engineers chipped in. Thanks to you all.

Thermo sensor

Based on what I gleaned from my readings, in my humble opinion the thermo sensor is the be all and end all of this system. When the engine is cold, sensor resistance is high and the electrical circuit is closed.

Controller/relay

The controller/relay/timer is programmed to open the fan circuit when a running engine is turned off, but only if sensor resistance has fallen to the 2K – 3.8K ohms range (engine temp 194 – 230*F). So if the engine temp has not risen to this temp range the fan will not turn on when the engine is shut off (sensor override).

Timer

The timer can only do two things – 1) run until the sensor signals it to shut off or 2) time out at 30 minutes if it’s received no signal from the sensor. The timer is programmed to run from 20 – 30 minutes, but if the engine temp is just barely hot enough to get the sensor to trigger the fan, the timer will be shut off as soon as engine has cooled enough to get the sensor to trigger the timer to shut off (as soon as 8 minutes in my case). Read that last sentence a couple more times and it’ll start to make sense.

Conclusion

Before I started this project, troubleshooting a dysfunctional horn system had held the record as the most ornery, torturously frustrating FJ40 repair project I’d done, but this one proved worse BY FAR. And now that it’s done, every time I shut off the engine and hear that fan I say to myself Hell yeah, I’d do it again in a heartbeat!

Finally, a huge shout out to Nate and Russ – no way I could have done it without your knowledge, experience and especially your patience as I clod - hoppered my way to the finish line. THANK YOU

I now turn this Mud seminar over to the Questions and Discussion workshop. No Mud slinging, please!

I have resurrected three carb fans from the dead so far. The first, on my FJ60 had a bad thermo switch, so I grounded the switch wire and wired in a toggle switch on the dash to allow me to control whether the fan comes on or not. When it does come on, it runs for about 30 minutes based on what the cooling fan logic board tells it to do. I can interrupt that time by turning off the switch and killing the whole system. I can also leave the switch off so that the fan does not come on at all. This is convenient when all I am doing is cranking up the truck to move it a few feet with no need for a carb fan. The second carb fan was installed into my '71 FJ55 which , to my knowledge, never had a carb fan. I had a spare carb fan from an FJ62, so I wired it straight off the battery through a 15 minute Woods light timer (the kind you would use in a bathroom). When I park the truck after a hot run, I just dial back the timer and let it count down 15 minutes. The last carb fan I resurrected was in my '82 FJ40. A couple of broken solders on the board and a new M4 relay was all it took to get that one back working like Mr. T intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom