76 BJ40 - Cooling Fan making contact with Shroud at high RPM (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I purchased the truck I noticed the Radiator shroud had been MacGyvered. The shroud edge had been bent upwards throughout it's circumference. I also noticed that the Fan blade tips had evidence of slight melting resulting from the fan blades expanding and making contact inside the shroud. I've experienced this wile driving but the contact only happens at high rpm as I'm about to shift.

Should I replace the fan with a smaller one or just trim off the edges with a dremel about 1/4" to avoid further contact?

What's the best solution.?

My experience with the 2F is that when the fan hits the radiator shroud on acceleration there is a bad motor mount that lets the engine lift and make contact.
Not sure if that is the same with a B motor?
Thinking outside the box. I’ll definitely look at the motor mounts. Thank you!

Your fan does not expand with RPM. Look carefully at the motor mounts. That is the most likely problem. Pretty standard and smack dab in the middle of the box. ;)

Mark...

With old rigs hard telling what was McGivered by PO's. So yes you could grind off a little each blade to obtain clearance after you check the engine/tranny mounts and I'd look at the radiator and shroud too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom