Canvas Soft Top Mildew (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kkt

Threads
My paki canvas top has mildew on it. I have researched the net and found two methods of removal:
1. 50/50 white vinegar. let dry wipe with dry rag.
2. 1 cup Lysol with 1 gal warm water. rinse with 1 cup salt 1 cup lemon to one gallon of water.
both methods say to start with a dry surface that has been brushed.
Anyone used these methods and if so what was the result.

please let us know how it works out after the cleaning.. my top has a bit of white mildew on the inside of it as well.. it's not too bad yet and seems to brush away with my hand.. i'm kicking myself for not treating my top right away.. oh well.. can you take a pic of the mold on your top? good luck.

My paki canvas top has mildew on it. I have researched the net and found two methods of removal:
1. 50/50 white vinegar. let dry wipe with dry rag.
2. 1 cup Lysol with 1 gal warm water. rinse with 1 cup salt 1 cup lemon to one gallon of water.
both methods say to start with a dry surface that has been brushed.
Anyone used these methods and if so what was the result.
well vinegar & water did not work. will try #2 this weekend and will try to get pics posted.

I don't know if that canvas will fade from this treatment but Tilex will remove mildew quite easily from any surface. I used it on the interior of my pop-up camper tenting.

1 cup Clorox to a gallon of water will also work

Test either method on a seam before spraying a large area, it may cause the canvas to fade.

Can any of these treatments strip the canvas's coating?

You may also want to try to call a sailboat shop somewhere, I'm quite sure this is not a unique problem. Wet sails getting tossed into a corner for weeks on end probably makes for some productive mildew.

As Coolerman indicated Clorox and warm water has always been a good choice for me. Make sure to do the entire top, not just the area with mildew and rinse with a good amount of water.

As Coolerman indicated Clorox and warm water has always been a good choice for me. Make sure to do the entire top, not just the area with mildew and rinse with a good amount of water.
But will it fade?
Also seems like anything you use has trouble working because of the waterproofing on the canvas.

I'm going to go out on a limb here: Might it not be possible that he awful chemicals that are in Canvak, which you need to be applying to these tops (or something similar), might not also kill mildew.

Just looking at the old canvas top I have on my Series Rover and I can't see how mild or mold could live on it with all the Canvak on it. Good stuff.

Either way - however you solve the mildew - get that canvas treated.

I can't imagine a bleach based product not bleaching out canvas.

Pictures of the mildew problem on canvas tops

Here you go. Notice that a hell of a lot of the mildew is on the inside. The top never leaked. It faded like crazy from the sun it started out tan and now is almost white. I guess I should not be very concerned about bleaching it out. After I figure out how to kill the mildew I will be using either the Meguiars canvas treatment or Canvak. I will keep yall posted.
mildew 002.JPG
mildew 006.JPG
mildew 007.JPG

West Marine or Boaters World that are both located in your area will have supplies for removing mildew from your canvas. I have had canvas tops on many of my boats over the years and mildew has always been a big problem. You will likely find something to treat the canvas after cleaning too. I have always purchased my canvas cleaning supplies from both or these retailers. Talk with some of the staff and they can provide you what would work best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom