Can you guess what this is for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Too quiet around here lately. I was doing some work in the garage today and found this. This is an SST I made for working on my 22RE. Can you figure out what it does? It's about 18" long.

IMG_20180331_182628.jpg
IMG_20180331_182611.jpg

Oh yeah, I also found a pair of original OEM wiper blades from my pickup. Has the TEQ stamp on them. Anybody want them? I'll throw in my SST if you want it too.

no clue other than you had to turn a Phillips head about 18" out of reach...Or you got a zombie stuck in a hard to reach spot and had to destroy it's brain. ----that's all I got.

That's actually a finish nail, pointy end out.

looked like you ground a phillips tip out of the nail from my perspective. guess not. all I'm left with is it was a zombie stick...or you used it to retrieve something dropped. otherwise I'm out.

Roadside community Special Service Tool.
For picking up trash after you've been caught misbehaving.

Yes and yes.

hmm... you might have to throw out a clue with that one. i've said before, i'm by no means an expert at anything but i've been through a few engines and transmissions and can't say i've ever used anything that looked quite like that. the only thing i can think of is a pointer for the timing mark?

So that's how you go the Johnson Rod to align with the Klappenhoffer Linkage? Awesome idea, I'm gonna steal it.

First, I assure you this is not an April Fool's thing.

I suppose this could be used on a few other engines, but I've only used it on my 22RE, and I've used it quite a few times (approx twice a year). I can't use it on any of the engines in my current fleet, and it can't be used on any Toyota engine built within about the last 10 years or so.

OK, no more guesses, so here ya go...

Rationale: I *hate* when changing oil and removing the filter makes a huge mess by dumping out just as you get the O-ring unseated from the block. The 22R/RE does this since the filter is horizontal. This happens due to the anti-drainback valve in the filter, it won't allow the filter to empty when the engine is shut off.

If you stand by the passenger fender and look down past the intake between #2 and 3 cylinders, you can barely see the top of the filter. So, my oil change procedure was warm the engine up, pull into the garage, drain pan under the truck, pop out the drain plug. Then remove the fill cap so the engine can drain. Then, take that SST, sneak it down through past the intake so the nail is sitting right at the edge of the oil filter, then give it a quick firm whack with a hammer. This pokes a hole in the canister of the filter. Then I rotate the tires, lube the door hinges, lube the spare tire winch, check everything over, torque the knuckles, etc. Shut the lights off, go inside for the night, let it drain.

Next morning, spin the filter off, no mess or drips.

Patent pending. I'm taking this on Shark Tank.

Rationale: I *hate* when changing oil and removing the filter makes a huge mess by dumping out just as you get the O-ring unseated from the block. The 22R/RE does this since the filter is horizontal.

I can't speak for you IFS guys, but the mess it makes over my solid axle really pisses me off. I wad up a bunch of paper towels under the filter to catch most of it ... and it still splashes all over the place.

OK, no more guesses, so here ya go...

Rationale: I *hate* when changing oil and removing the filter makes a huge mess by dumping out just as you get the O-ring unseated from the block. The 22R/RE does this since the filter is horizontal. This happens due to the anti-drainback valve in the filter, it won't allow the filter to empty when the engine is shut off.

If you stand by the passenger fender and look down past the intake between #2 and 3 cylinders, you can barely see the top of the filter. So, my oil change procedure was warm the engine up, pull into the garage, drain pan under the truck, pop out the drain plug. Then remove the fill cap so the engine can drain. Then, take that SST, sneak it down through past the intake so the nail is sitting right at the edge of the oil filter, then give it a quick firm whack with a hammer. This pokes a hole in the canister of the filter. Then I rotate the tires, lube the door hinges, lube the spare tire winch, check everything over, torque the knuckles, etc. Shut the lights off, go inside for the night, let it drain.

Next morning, spin the filter off, no mess or drips.

Patent pending. I'm taking this on Shark Tank.

:O

This is brilliant! Where do I get one?! And where do I make my 3 easy payments of $9.99??

I just change the oil where I don't want the weeds to grow.....

kidding....

Last edited:
I can't speak for you IFS guys, but the mess it makes over my solid axle really pisses me off. I wad up a bunch of paper towels under the filter to catch most of it ... and it still splashes all over the place.

This is why I really like the new oil filters. There's a drain plug in the bottom of the canister with a valve above it. You remove the plug, pop in a little plastic drain doohickey that comes in the box with the filter, filter drains in a couple of minutes. Remove the canister, swap out the cartridge, and you can inspect the old one. No mess.

let me get this straight: your punching your hole from the top of the engine? don't you have the little window in the passenger fender?

Punch the hole from the top, breaks the check valve's seal so oil then drains into the pan. Keeps you and the tool out of the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom