can soft tops be re-stitched? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well, i know they can in theory, but where should i take it to?

i got a bestop with the purchase of my cruiser. i let a friend use it for a while but he said when he went to fasten it down, the stitching gave out. i don't wanna just trash it yet, but it's probably one of those things that are cheaper to replace than to repair. dunno, that's why i ask... thanks.

Any tarp/canvas/boat shop should be able to help you with this...they will be able to tell you if reparing the area in question is possible...If it is deteriorated to the point that they cannot stitch it, you will need to replace it.

If they are no help, hit up a place that does upholstery, as they may know of someone that would do the work for you also.

Good luck!

-Steve

Yeah, in Vancouver there should be several sail lofts that can do tricks saving pretty expensive sails. They might treat you funny, but be able to help you themselves or point you to some canvas shop that can.
Stuff rips on sailboats all the time.

While you're there you could maybe float the idea of whether one of those places could or would be willing to construct cruiser softtops from raw canvas. Might be a sideline they'd appreciate.

believe it or not, I worked at a backpacking store many many years ago and they could handle industrial thick applications like that as they worked on tents, backpacks, luggage, etc..

Insist on the best. Write to the company tell them what happened they will replace it. You paid for the best, expect it! Otherwise look to the kings. I work in an outdoors retailer. If your top was made from Cordura you would have never made a post. Those outdoors guys are charging a fortune because the stuff lasts forever ......Guaranteed!!!!!!

thcFJ40 said:
Insist on the best. Write to the company tell them what happened they will replace it. You paid for the best, expect it! Otherwise look to the kings. I work in an outdoors retailer. If your top was made from Cordura you would have never made a post. Those outdoors guys are charging a fortune because the stuff lasts forever ......Guaranteed!!!!!!

Agreed. Cordura is good stuff. I've been trying to convince my wife that with an industrial sewing machine from HF ($269.) she has enough skill to duplicate my unused paki top in cordura or canvas....but so far she remains unconvinced.

I restitched and patched mine :D an auto convertible top repair place ordered the matching material for me and sold me the yarn

I did it on my home sewing machine but if you have access to an industrial model that sure would work better

I didn't want to buy a new top since I would cringe every time it hits brush..........I wheel my truck

The material they ordered for me matches perfectly and is the high-end stuff they put on Mercedes etc. Company name is Haartz, and that is exactly the stuff my older Bestop softtop is made of. Now, of course, it's all full of desert dust :grinpimp:

I know Haartz tops and it is good stuff they use. Sort of a thinner Cordura. My experience with cordura comes mostly from a rifle case and two laptop cases, so maybe the stuff those are made of is thicker than a top could be made from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom