Can I paint this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting close to the end of my rebuild on the wrecked cruiser and am now looking into paint. My color is Champagne pearl. I have a fender, door, and side mirror that need to be painted. I have heard that since it is a pearl color I have to repaint the entire car. is this true?

Depends on your objective.

Pearl paint is known as a tri-coat - literally 3 stages: base coat, pearl coat and clearcoat. Metallic is hard to match, pearl even harder. It's a very skilled painter who can match a panel. At a minimum you'll need to blend into the adjacent panels.

Pearl paint is known as a tri-coat - literally 3 stages: base coat, pearl coat and clearcoat. Metallic is hard to match, pearl even harder. It's a very skilled painter who can match a panel. At a minimum you'll need to blend into the adjacent panels.
Okay thanks

Having a paint and body shop before, pearl is the hardest to match. Our accuracy was around 90% best case scenario. Pearl tends to yellow aka patina. It depends on the condition of the paint, how it was maintained and level of oxidation it has. We proceed with paint jobs like that with full disclosure to client about the reality of pearl based paints and properly set their expectation.

Having a paint and body shop before, pearl is the hardest to match. Our accuracy was around 90% best case scenario. Pearl tends to yellow aka patina. It depends on the condition of the paint, how it was maintained and level of oxidation it has. We proceed with paint jobs like that with full disclosure to client about the reality of pearl based paints and properly set their expectation.
Thank you for the information

I recently repainted my quarter panel and upper 2/3's of both passenger doors above the trim in champagne pearl. It took a while but that's because I put a lot of time into the prep work. After that I corrected all the other original paint and in the end it all matched perfectly and I saved a ton of $$

Repainting Damaged Quarter Panel; Input Needed!

I recently repainted my quarter panel and upper 2/3's of both passenger doors above the trim in champagne pearl. It took a while but that's because I put a lot of time into the prep work. After that I corrected all the other original paint and in the end it all matched perfectly and I saved a ton of $$

Repainting Damaged Quarter Panel; Input Needed!
How do you correct paint?

How do you correct paint?
Wet sanding, compounding & polishing with a DA buffer, and then sealing it with something to protect the paint (I chose ceramic coating but a wax or other sealant would work too). The new paint you lay down will look perfect if you’ve done everything right up to that point, but the rest of your paint you don’t touch will still have swirls, scratches, oxidation, and other imperfections in it so it will be obvious to tell what has been repainted. If you go back and take all the scratches out of the clear coat, the new paint and old paint will end up matching really well.

Not to be agist, but if you're really 16 years old, you're not gonna have a good time.

That said, all experts were once beginners.
Anyone that's good at something was terrible once. Might as well get that out of the way when you're 16!

Although some people are terrible at the same thing over and over and over, haha.

If you were willing to do it yourself, do you at least have a garage that you could drape drop clothes from to make a homemade paint booth? Painting in an enclosed area will always give better results than doing it outside on your driveway.

I say go for it while your back and knees are still young:)

Last edited:
There is also DIY times when I started, I call it Destroy-It-Yourself times.

But if you’re young now is the perfect time to experiment and learn from those trial and errors.

Reactions: uHu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom