Can anyone identify these wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
These came on my '81 when I bought it earlier this year. I'm thinking about having them powder coated black for my restoration. I'd like to get a 5th one for a spare. Any ideas?

IMG_0299.JPG

Probably Mickey Thompson

those rims and a restoration should not be used in the same sentence

Maybe the car belonged to Elvis?

^^^^ Many companies made a wheel that looked like the American Racing wheel, good luck finding one "exactly" like what you have.

Those wheels look good. It is a shame that they get bad mouthed. Not everyone on here has the want, nor the means to have a showroom FJ40. I kinda like the thought that there is 40 years of history and adventures with these machines and we must respect the fact that they have been used and sometimes abused. I hope you find a wheel and get her back on the road looking spiffy.

odd, I bought a 81 mini truck from WA and it had these on it. Sorry I don't know who made them but it was at least a regional thing if your truck is from that area also.

13.JPG

Eagle 589 ... but they are the older style inside of the wheel should be grey

Mickey Thompson's were forged Alcoa wheels. The identifying mark is the valve stem is on the inside of the wheel, vertical, near the circles.

The knockoffs (american racing, american eagle, etc) were cast, with the valve stem on the lip. These wheels are pretty much garbage, made as cheap as possible.

If your going to restore this style wheel, get a forged version.

Below is a picture of a Mickey Thompson version, if your looking for the real deal.

IMG_0882.JPG

Mickey Thompson's were forged Alcoa wheels. The identifying mark is the valve stem is on the inside of the wheel, vertical, near the circles.

The knockoffs (american racing, american eagle, etc) were cast, with the valve stem on the lip. These wheels are pretty much garbage, made as cheap as possible.

If your going to restore this style wheel, get a forged version.

Below is a picture of a Mickey Thompson version, if your looking for the real deal.

View attachment 1463091

Thanks. That's good info to have. I'm not married to these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom