Name these wheels! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just received my fj40 and was initially planning to do a whole set of steelies, but the wheels that came on the car are growing on me. The problem is I only have 4, so I need to buy a 5th for the spare, but I don’t know what kind it is to buy! Can one of you experts identify what wheels these are so I can buy one more?

Thanks!
Max
IMG_1659.jpeg

Just received my fj40 and was initially planning to do a whole set of steelies, but the wheels that came on the car are growing on me. The problem is I only have 4, so I need to buy a 5th for the spare, but I don’t know what kind it is to buy! Can one of you experts identify what wheels these are so I can buy one more?

Thanks!
Max
View attachment 3528072
They look like they’re these 17” 4Runner wheels. Post a pic of the truck with all 4, I’m curious to see how it looks.

Hope this helps,

Sawyer

510AD12D-DB42-4B88-9C1D-E8D44AC61A3A.png

That style are everywhere on FB Marketplace. I've seen singles up for sale, once in awhile. I almost went with those because they were plentiful and cheap. But I was opposite, the longer I looked the less I liked them. My patience paid off and I found a set of five FJC wheels for a great price. I do like the wheels, and yes, interested seeing a photo.
Look on the used market. Plenty of the 4Runner SR5 rims in the stock pewter color.

Curious about back spacing the the front axle.

I think mine have the same backspacing as those. No spacers, no rubbing.

20231121_155739 crop.jpg

Thanks all- I think 4Runner is the winner winner chicken dinner here!! I’ll try to figure out if there are any spacers on them, but the way they’re set up there’s no rubbing. Thanks again for the quick help on this(and pic of truck with all 4 as requested; last one is from delivery day…Today!!),

Max

IMG_1660.jpeg
IMG_1656.jpeg

Thanks all- I think 4Runner is the winner winner chicken dinner here!! I’ll try to figure out if there are any spacers on them, but the way they’re set up there’s no rubbing. Thanks again for the quick help on this(and pic of truck with all 4 as requested; last one is from delivery day…Today!!),

Max

View attachment 3528384View attachment 3528385
They look good, black. What I would have done had I got those.

Style is subjective so with that in mind I'll say that style wheel looks so out of place on an FJ40. I'd sell them and go for the steelies. I think your first thoughts on the matter were the best.

Style is subjective so with that in mind I'll say that style wheel looks so out of place on an FJ40. I'd sell them and go for the steelies. I think your first thoughts on the matter were the best.
You opening sentence is correct. Don't get me wrong, I love the mostly factory look of steel wheels. I say mostly because people tend to wrap them with 33s. But there are folks that steer others to make all these rigs look the same. The thing that bugs me is the price of the steelies. You got a $60 steel wheel priced like a custom, forged racing wheel. I know, "You can buy a used set." Still more than $100 ea from what I've seen. You can still get 70 series 16" slotted steelies from the dealer for a decent price.

I looked at similar TRD wheels but went a different route. I suspect they're similar specs to my Vision wheels, which are 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing. The backspacing works with the 17s as there's more clearance for the calipers and tierods...I suspect that same backspacing with a 16 would be snug and/or rub.

Thanks all and think we can all agree: style is subjective. What i also think all can agree on: if the wife likes a certain style- for example 4Runner wheels- then life’s a whole lot easier if you also find a way to like them LOL! I’m a lucky man she let me get this, so no complaints from me!

Thanks all and think we can all agree: style is subjective. What i also think all can agree on: if the wife likes a certain style- for example 4Runner wheels- then life’s a whole lot easier if you also find a way to like them LOL! I’m a lucky man she let me get this, so no complaints from me!
My 40 came with Enkai aluminum wheels that I would have never bought but they have grown on me and are simply just a part of her now.
I like steelies but $1,200 for a set? No thanks.
IMG_8959.jpeg

I like steelies but $1,200 for a set? No thanks.

Has the price gone way up? I paid about $90/each for mine from the dealer, but granted that was like 13 years ago.

Last edited:
Has the price gone way up? I paid about $90/each for mine from the dealer, but granted that was like 13 years ago.
I was referring to the city racer 16" steelies set. Love him as a vendor, don't get me wrong. He has a decent amount of my kids college fund and will get more real soon here.

1200$ is probably for 16" steelies .

16" trailer wheels are way cheaper and still look better than mag wheels on a 40
That's all steelies are, trailer wheels. And yeah, like $60 ea.
New steelies cost me 65$ can (50$ USD) each back in 2019
Not anymore if you mean OEM. I'm no longer in the market for them, but still interested if such $65 FJ40 wheels exist.

The only thing in new condition on my truck when I bought it was the tires and they were on rusty chrome wagon wheels that for the short term I have wire brushed and shot flat black. Fortunately the stock rims in good condition came with the rig. I'll be selling the old tire / rim combo and buying some re-pop hubcaps and some tall skinny tires.

DSCF1162-001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom