Builds TheAmigo's 1981 FJ40 Build Log (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been waiting for months to start this thread. I'm very happy to have the chance to do so now.

I picked up my '81 in January with plans to begin the restoration this summer once the garage was renovated and ready for action. The garage is almost done so I'm moving into the prep phase for tear-down.

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

Last edited:
It looks relatively nice on the outside, but inside there are some issues.

It spent some time in Colorado, so:
  • I can see through the floorboards on both the driver and passenger sides.
  • The diamond plate was a bad idea by one of the POs.
  • The wheel wells aren't exactly solid.

IMG_5382.JPG

I also picked up a hard top and ambulance doors. The doors are in GREAT shape:

IMG_5541.JPG

But, the hard top and associated hardware comes with some rust:
IMG_5530.JPG
IMG_5524 (1).JPG

Last edited:
My goal for this build is to completely tear it down while tagging, bagging, and photographing everything. I'll then start to repair, repaint, and renew every single piece. I'll do most of the work myself, including the preliminary body work and welding.
  • I've settled on sand blasting the frame followed by something like POR-15 for protection.
    • Had considered galvanizing it but given the work I need to do on the frame I think it would be too onerous to work around/with the galvanized frame.
  • I'm keeping the factory engine, gearbox, and transfer case.
  • Buying new suspension components. I believe it has a 3" lift right now. I'm not sure if I'll keep that height or possibly drop it down a bit.
  • New wheels and tires.
  • Adding air conditioning.
  • Adding power steering.
  • Upgrading the lighting systems.
  • Adding a rear tire carrier system.
  • Adding an audio system with unobtrusive speakers.
  • Tinting all windows.
  • Adding front and/or rear diff locks (likely rear only).
For the final body work and paint I'm going to pay a professional to do it right. I'm not settled on the color yet, but it will likely not be the original color. I'm leaning heavily towards a factory blue or green. I may go with some other Toyota color. I don't know yet, and I'm having a hard time deciding. But, color will be one of the last choices I have to make, and it's at least a year away.

Timeline? I would LOVE to have this thing finished by summer of 2018. But, I know life gets in the way, so I look forward to the adventure. And, that's really what this is about.

Good looking 40 and sounds like fun times ahead

Since the start of my build is contingent on having a nice place in which to perform it I want to throw in some shots of the "barn-age" renovation.

We have a variety of animals so the building has pulled double duty as both a barn and garage. It will continue to do so, but with some mods. I've wrapped up a complete rewire, to include the addition of 3 separate runs of lights, 3 separate circuits with GFI outlets, plus 2 circuits with 240v plugs for a heater and welder or compressor. I'm covering up one of the stall doors to give me more wall space. And I've added a TP-Link power-based WIFI extender since my house is about 50 yards away.

All I need to wrap up this weekend is the insulation, and then the sheet rock. I'll post a nice finished photo before I start breaking the FJ40 apart.

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

What's behind door #1?

IMG_0411.JPG

Goats. Goats are behind door #1.

IMG_0412.JPG

Ok! My garage renovation is finished. I've got real walls, insulation, shop air and power reels, lights, and outlets galore.

IMG_0823.JPG

My kids are certainly going to be a part of this whole process, even one of the littles.

IMG_0850.JPG

I bought an industrial shelving unit from Costco and am using that to store the bagged and tagged items as I remove them.

IMG_0891.JPG

One of the first steps was removing the pre-lube system one of the POs installed, along with the Jacobs ignition system. So much poorly done wiring and hardware shoved in the glove box. Also, if anyone is interested in the Tuffy box make me an offer.

One of the POs also bought the wrong Steel Horse seats. They're not wide enough so the PO just drilled another hole and used a smaller screw to hold the inboard rails in. I'm sure that was safe. So, it looks like I need seats. Anyone have a use for these? I believe the rails are good, but the seats are too narrow.

IMG_0896.JPG

AND! They went the hockey puck route to raise the driver's seat. They went the "home depot counter top sample" route for the passenger's seat. :bang:

IMG_0895.JPG

My goal at the moment is to get it down to the frame by the end of August so that I can safely have it prepped and back in the garage before it starts raining.

I think you will need more shelving, lots of parts in bags when you do a resto. Ask me how I know.

Love the 50/50 rear doors. Coolest style in my opinion. Good thread. Keep them lil grease monkeys involved eh. Big smiles there. And those lil hands can go where dads don't fit!

I think you will need more shelving, lots of parts in bags when you do a resto. Ask me how I know.

Heh. We'll see. This thing is supposed to hold thousands of pounds. I'm starting top left and going right and down in sequence to give it a bit of chronological history. Or something. I'm piling the bags on pretty good. I do have other shelves and work areas in which to hold stuff.

Blast cabinet assembled, radiator out, fenders off, and carb cooler off. Everything tagged and bagged. Also sprayed PB Blaster on nuts and bolts in prep for future work.

Anybody know what kind of brush guard is on the front? Wondering if I should keep it or sell it. I kinda like it, but it weighs a lot.

IMG_1193.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom