camp fire oven (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I never tried , but maybe some did .
do you think that an aluminium tray with alluminium cover can work as a over if we cover under and top with embers , some thing like this
1619021306102.png

Obviously a cast iron pot will be the best solution .
But I don't want to carry around 4 kg of iron , just for cooking once a month some bread or other stuff .
That was the trigger point of my post .

Aluminium melts easily on red hot coals. That kind of tray you have pictured is very flimsy, easy for your great meal to end up burnt and destroyed.

There are aluminium camp ovens too if you are scared of a few kg of cast iron :) Just don't let it sit dry surrounded with coals.

cheers,
george.

You could always give the aluminum pan a try over coals at home - if it fails you aren't out much and not depending on it while out traveling. Maybe it will work and save some weight and is easily replaceable. If it seems too thin you could try stacking 2 or 3 of them together and see if that works better.

You would have a very hard time distributing the heat evenly with that setup. Dutch oven FTW.

That reflector oven looks pretty interesting though.

I have found this product , as reflected oven , made by a swedish guy .

which I find quite smart .
he offers also a free template for DIY enthusiast .
wonder if it will eventually work also as a pit fire , with some modifications for air flow and coal holder

I am a big fan of dutch oven cooking as well, but generally use it once or twice a day when camping, not just occasionally. I've never used a reflector oven, but have always been intrigued by them and would love to try one out some time. I have a book about wilderness travel published in 1959 that talks a lot about them; the ones in the book are very similar to the one in that video.

if you can lay your hands on a copy of gil gilpatrick's book "building outdoor gear" , there's a concise writeup on reflector ovens n detailed diy construction instructions. he's also got build up instructions on other camp gear that you may find of interest. it's well worth checking out

@renago , i've used those pans that you are asking about on a bbq with good success for cooking a meal. never tried it right in the coals. i toss my meat, veggies n potatoes into it. put a cover on it. load it on the bbq n close the lid. no muss, no fuss, about an hour later you're feedin' your face.

I would ditch the aluminum pan idea, it won't work.

You have a few options though:

Dutch Oven:

Heavy, but uses the fuel efficiently. most of the fuel for a dutch oven heats the cast iron and the food.

Reflector Oven:

Much lighter, you can buy a folding one. Really inefficient, the flame from the fire reflects in the oven for heating food. Most of the fuel is lost to the sky, and doesn't go to heat the food. You'll need lots of flame for a long time for that one.

Coleman Oven :

Getting rarer now, folding sheet metal, fits on top of a coleman stove.

Old School :

Throughout history, an oven was made from flat rocks. You make the fire in the homemade oven, and then scrape out the embers and bake. You'll have to tolerate or cut off ash on the bottom of your bread.

Yes the reflective oven is highly inefficient croma a fuel point of view , but is this inefficiency that gives the soft ,slow cooking pattern .
Plus it is very light and foldable , that doesn't hurt when overlanding .
I think it is rally usable only in Africa , and americas , with at least 30-50 mi. Of high flames available , so plenty of wood .
I will investigate into it .
My best shot will be to combine a reflective oven and a grill in 1 piece .

Yes the reflective oven is highly inefficient croma a fuel point of view , but is this inefficiency that gives the soft ,slow cooking pattern .
Plus it is very light and foldable , that doesn't hurt when overlanding .
I think it is rally usable only in Africa , and americas , with at least 30-50 mi. Of high flames available , so plenty of wood .
I will investigate into it .
My best shot will be to combine a reflective oven and a grill in 1 piece .
i've not tried one of these yet, but with the reading i've done, i'm thinking a serious bed of coals n the oven right on the edge of it would work well. the grill idea sounds workable
aah screw it.........🚶‍♂️heads off into shop to build one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom