Cam rods

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Trollhole, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sure there is another name for them but I cannot think of the word right now.

Question.

When taking the head off an f or 2f engine and you do not keep the rods in order as they come out (meaning rods are not put back in their corresponding holes). What will this cause? If valve adjustments are done after correctly what will this not fix the problem of having them in the wrong location?

2. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Too late now, but when I take these apart I use labeled egg containers. #1 intake #1 exhaust and so on. Poke the pushrod through it, sit the lifter in the cupped part. Haven't done my 2F yet, but the last few motors i have built I did this. Just had tp be really carefull not to spill it on the bench. If everything is going to be new upon reassembly and the lifters are being reground, it shouldn't be a huge deal. But things tend to get certain wear patterns and you don't want to mix them up if you don't have to. Especially the lifters.

3. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Troll, you will just have more valve adjustments until the parts can mate after some use. So just check valve adjustment more frequently. It should eventually stabilize.

Ed

4. Trollhole

Media:
    Albums:
    Just so ya'll know. It wasn't me! I learned my lesson years ago. But I didn't know what would happen.

5. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    take out pizza box works good. i "drew" the head on it and poked the rods and bolts through it.

6. Shawn Russell

Shawn Russell

Media:
    The push rods do not matter, it is the lifters that you do not want to swap. If you do, the lifters and the cam will eat each other, and then you will have to replace all the lifters and the cam.

7. CruisinTiger

CruisinTiger

OK what are the lifters, is that in the bottom in the oil pan. I know why Troll is askin we got a buddy who just replaced his head gasket and when he pulled the rods he didn't mark them. I helped him put it back together and when we did we readjusted his valves. Well it's still giving him fits as far as running. Maybe now that we've got it back together we need to readjust the valves since we've ran it a little now.

8. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Lifters ride on the camshaft....

Tell your buddy to get the engine warm, to normal operating temp, and then adjust the valves.

:beer:

9. Mark W

Mark W

Yep. Lifters MATTER! Pushrods do not.

Mark...

10. Trollhole

Media:
    Albums:

You read my mind Chuck. I was just seeing if that could cause some of his problems. Though I doubt it. My thought is they might be different lengths for intake and exhaust lifters. Guess not.

I think richard has it right by thinking it is fuel related.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.