Calling all LS owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK mud

Happy Sunday! Yes, I am pondering an LS swap on Roscoe. I would love to hear feedback from owners of 60 series trucks that have either 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, or 6.2 drive trains. I’m not necessarily looking for blow the doors down power as my primary goal, but “bang for the buck” power/serviceability, parts availability. My ask is what do you have in your truck, and what do you wish you had done? I know “keep it Toyota” is a viable argument, and I’m historically very dedicated to Toyota quality, but I’ve owned a Tahoe and the LS is very robust.

I am forming a build sheet with one of the awesome vendors here, and I just wanted to poll people that have done it.

It seems to me the best wiring finish would be a connect and cruise package.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance

Joel

OK mud

Happy Sunday! Yes, I am pondering an LS swap on Roscoe. I would love to hear feedback from owners of 60 series trucks that have either 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, or 6.2 drive trains. I’m not necessarily looking for blow the doors down power as my primary goal, but “bang for the buck” power/serviceability, parts availability. My ask is what do you have in your truck, and what do you wish you had done? I know “keep it Toyota” is a viable argument, and I’m historically very dedicated to Toyota quality, but I’ve owned a Tahoe and the LS is very robust.

I am forming a build sheet with one of the awesome vendors here, and I just wanted to poll people that have done it.

Joel
Joel are you planning on a brand new crate motor or getting something used and having the shop rebuild or go through it? A lot of the newer LS engines have AFM/DOD which deactivated cylinders when in a low load setting. This can introduce more issues/wiring down the road.

But overall, you really can’t go wrong with any of them. All of those make around the same power(ish), so id get what’s more affordable from your builder. 6.2 will probably be the most expensive out of the bunch.

With what I have learned now that I play with the LS stuff regularly I would say that 80% of the LS info you’ll get on Ih8mud is worthless.

My tips if I was swapping a truck tomorrow.
- if you use an auto skip the the 4l60 that everyone uses. They’re garbage.
Just get a 4l80e and be done.
-get the most complete and running engine for your money. I would not pay more then $500-600 for an engine.
- “worthless” 4.8’s that no one wants are great. Especially with a $250 cam swap.
- if you buy an engine that needs to be rebuilt or you want to rebuild then you bought the wrong engine
- skip the stock PCM and get a Holley Terminator X.
- the stock radiator works great if it’s in good condition

There’s no reason your swap should cost more then $4-5k if you do everything yourself, not including selling your original powertrain.

Edit: if you’re having a shop do it for you they are probably going to disagree with everything I just wrote.

With what I have learned now that I play with the LS stuff regularly I would say that 80% of the LS info you’ll get on Ih8mud is worthless.

My tips if I was swapping a truck tomorrow.
- if you use an auto skip the the 4l60 that everyone uses. They’re garbage.
Just get a 4l80e and be done.
-get the most complete and running engine for your money. I would not pay more then $500-600 for an engine.
- “worthless” 4.8’s that no one wants are great. Especially with a $250 cam swap.
- if you buy an engine that needs to be rebuilt or you want to rebuild then you bought the wrong engine
- skip the stock PCM and get a Holley Terminator X.
- the stock radiator works great if it’s in good condition

There’s no reason your swap should cost more then $4-5k if you do everything yourself, not including selling your original powertrain.

Edit: if you’re having a shop do it for you they are probably going to disagree with everything I just wrote.
He’s having a shop do it, so all your info is worthless(ish)....but for DIY’ers you made a lot of great points and is worthy :)

Whoops 🥶

I guess I automatic assume land cruiser owner are DIYers... this must be year 2020 AD I’m so out of touch. I goin crawl back into my hole now

Whoops 🥶

I guess I automatic assume land cruiser owner are DIYers... this must be year 2020 AD I’m so out of touch. I goin crawl back into my hole now

I can do basic projects on my truck, but A swap or anything even close to that level is way out of my wheelhouse. Could I pull my engine? Yes, there are friends locally that could easily help me do that. After that, Would I likely be scratching my head for the next year while my truck is sitting in the driveway undrivable? Yes, LOL

I agree with @Bama4door conclusion of the price of the 6.0 and 6.2 being higher (new or used), and the 6.0 seems awesome. Not sure if I need that much power, and if a Tahoe can scoot around with a 5.3, I would imagine Roscoe can too... 5.3 "seems" to be more tried and true of the bunch.

In my experience with engine swaps one thing to do is try to make it a refined swap, which makes for a comfortable driving experience. A quiet exhaust, easy to follow wiring, cruise control, nice gas pedal angle, all gauges working, etc. I like trying to make it so most people who ride with me have no idea it has a v8 swap. Totally understand having a shop do it, just make sure you choose carefully. I chose to hook up all the emissions too as I think it will increase the overall value of the vehicle more. I would recommend riding in someone else's swapped 60 first to make sure it's what you want. And if your doing all this work, make sure you spend some money on vehicle security.

I can do basic projects on my truck, but A swap or anything even close to that level is way out of my wheelhouse. Could I pull my engine? Yes, there are friends locally that could easily help me do that. After that, Would I likely be scratching my head for the next year while my truck is sitting in the driveway undrivable? Yes, LOL

It's easier then you think.

It's easier then you think.
Is it? I'm an old hot rodder and it's intimidating to me. I want to do an LS swap but the electrical scares me, mating the new to the old, having working speedo, tach, AC, and overall having a nice clean install. I'm a decent wrench and have all the tools and equipment but I'm still nervous about it. I also live in an area with limited resources, we don't even have a machine shop anymore, but we do have 6 months of winter when my 62 is stored away so there's time to do it.

3BE3F9F9-D794-48E0-B3C9-1BF001458B2A.png

I put in a 2001 5.3 truck Engine, cheap. Swapped in a Z06 Cam. Makes 394Hp at the crank. Plenty

4 things I would consider changing

1) I’d go with the 6 speed auto. Just a drivability thing in my opinion. Not sure on fitment as I haven’t researched the physical size.
2) I’d go with a lower intake like the ones in TrailTailers pics. Truck intake fits, but clearance for the front diff is still limited even with holley pan, and the engine cover almost touching the hood insulation Would be nice to mount the engine a little higher. I have the standard OME 4” lift, probably closer to 3 when it settled, and 33 tires.
3) I’d mount the engine back farther and use the stock fan Vs electric.
4) quieter exhaust

I did all the work myself and I am an old hot rodder also. The wiring does seem complicated until you install a harness. It’s actually pretty simple and hard to mess up. I over thought the first one, but since that I’ve done 2 other hot rods, 69 Camaro and 49 Chevy pick up. Very easy from a wiring perspective

#1 and 4 are possible future upgrades

OK mud

Joel

Finishing up my 3rd LS swap.... holler if you need anything and or want to bring it on over to the shop... little out of your way but those swaps are not a new game to this guy

things I would consider changing

1) I’d go with the 6 speed auto.
2) I’d go with a lower intake like the ones in TrailTailers pics.
^^This.....
Go 6.0 or higher...
More insulation under the rig ( I run both CATS) since you have access...
Re-locate your muffler.. lots of valuable real state under these rigs...
Wiring looks scary, but nothing a good voltmeter/OBD2 scanner can help fix/diagnose...

Here’s what I learned as I was in your same shoes.
I decided a Cummins swap and was limited on knowledge. I have a good friend who swapped a Cummins in his Ford Highboy. He said find a motor and he’d help me put it in my 60. Well, I found one and we did the swap. What I’m getting as is that I learned a ton helping. It was a lot of work and time. The great thing is it was literally like a year plus automotive class. I know how things were put together and how to fix/ replace components that fail or leak. Like my vacuum pump:bang: three times. Thankfully it’s been covered under warranty at Napa every time.
I say if you have enough money, tools, space and time then reward yourself and do it with friends, help and IH8MUD. In the end anybody can pay a shop to do it, if you have even more money, but honestly it’s so much more rewarding to build it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom