Call of the 40" tires... almost. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great attention to detail on this. Look awesome! I’m not too far away up in Battle Ground and like the snow wheeling too. Where do you go mostly?

Very NICE.
I see you have 488 gears, baldilocks just added a set of the 10% UD high transfercase gear set. It's a great addition to loer your ratio without needing to change the axle gears.

Great attention to detail on this. Look awesome! I’m not too far away up in Battle Ground and like the snow wheeling too. Where do you go mostly?
Hey, neighbor! South of Mt. Hood mostly. Sisters area a couple of times a season. You?

More pics please! Beautiful Truck and quality work!
Will post more in the next week or so. Rear bumper is renewed and flares go on next. Have a short trip planned for this weekend, and will take some pictures there.

Last edited:
Very NICE.
I see you have 488 gears, baldilocks just added a set of the 10% UD high transfercase gear set. It's a great addition to loer your ratio without needing to change the axle gears.
Have 3.11 transfer gears as well. Makes noticeable difference in the snow

I live near the Gifford Pinchot National forest so I’ve been up there. Vê also been up around Ollie lake, OR snow wheeling a couple times. I moved here in 2018 so I’m still looking for good places to snow wheel. The good rock crawling is elsewhere. It would be great to do a snow run with you this winter.

I live near the Gifford Pinchot National forest so I’ve been up there. Vê also been up around Ollie lake, OR snow wheeling a couple times. I moved here in 2018 so I’m still looking for good places to snow wheel. The good rock crawling is elsewhere. It would be great to do a snow run with you this winter.
Sounds good. Let's keep in touch.

I have 3.11 transfer gears, the 10 present under drive gears & 5.29s running 39s sometime it's still not low enough !

I have 3.11 transfer gears, the 10 present under drive gears & 5.29s running 39s sometime it's still not low enough !
Possibly, but at 2psi 39s on 17s pretty much the same as 35s on 17s. Inflated to 40psi and climbing some passes is a different story. 🤣

Possibly, but at 2psi 39s on 17s pretty much the same as 35s on 17s. Inflated to 40psi and climbing some passes is a different story. 🤣
That’s not how it works 😉
It’s still a 39 just with a bigger foot print.
It’s the circumference of the tire not the height that matters.
In terms of gearing a 39 is a 39 no matter how much air is in it.
Now adding 10% under drive will make 39s feel like 37s on and off road.
Also a bigger tire need less air, you should only need about 25 PSI for street use.

Check some of the videos in my build thread I like to wheel hard trail and been on 39 for two years 😉

Last edited:
Now adding 10% under drive will make 39s feel like 37s

Check some of the videos in my build thread I like to wheel hard trail and been on 39 for two years 😉
Rolling Radius is what determines ground clearance.

39's at 2 PSI may be the same Rolling Radius as 35's at 40 PSI.

if I'm considering gearing, then, yes it needs to be figured at 39" dia and whatever that circumference is at correctly inflated pressure.

So, what circumference does a top fuel dragster use when they do their calculations?

Rolling Radius is what determines ground clearance.

39's at 2 PSI may be the same Rolling Radius as 35's at 40 PSI.

if I'm considering gearing, then, yes it needs to be figured at 39" dia and whatever that circumference is at correctly inflated pressure.

So, what circumference does a top fuel dragster use when they do their calculations?
The conversation was about gearing not ground clearance 😉

Now adding 10% under drive will make 39s feel like 37s

You are right. 4.88 with 3.11 are adequate for what I do. Planning an LS swap at the moment and with 4l60 I will have slightly lower transmission ratios. Might do 5.29s later

But since we’re talking ground clearance now I usually run 10 PSI as it lets the tire bulge enough for good traction but still gives me good ground clearance.
Every tire is different, my mud hogs are a soft tire so it works.

But since we’re talking ground clearance now I usually run 10 PSI as it lets the tire bulge enough for good traction but still gives me good ground clearance.
Every tire is different, my mud hogs are a soft tire so it works.
I will not go far on 10psi!

20220507_153438.jpg

Beautiful truck and impressive body work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom