SOLD California - 1985 FJ60, H55, Vortec V8, ARB, Recaro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1985 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60
Vehicle miles: 280,XXX
Engine: GM Vortec 5.7
Transmission: Toyota H55 5-speed

Vehicle History:
I purchased this FJ60 about a year and a half ago w/the intention to use it for extended trips. Since then I’ve realized that as much as I love it, I need a modern version of the same thing. It is perfect for trips to the local trailhead, kayak launch and the school run. It’s not quite ready for a week + deep in the Sierra. Instead of spending another year getting this thing dialed I thought I’d see if there was anyone interested.

In 1999 at 177,000 miles, the original engine and 4-speed transmission were replaced w/a high performance 2F engine and a Toyota H55 5-speed transmission – both w purchased from Man-A-Fre. The Vortec swap was performed in 2009 at approximately 200,000 miles by Earl Warden’s shop in Placerville CA. In 2011 at approximately 260,000 miles the previous owner installed a new 5.7 Vortec crate engine.

Service History:
I do not have comprehensive records from day one. I do, however, have records for all work done and parts purchased during my ownership. I’ve also got pages of receipts from Man-A-Fre from the previous owner.

Over the last year I’ve had the following work completed:
- New fuel pump installed
- Fabricated custom spark plug wires and routed them to clear “block hugger” exhaust manifolds.
- Replaced intake manifold and fuel injection system with upgraded GM parts.
- Replaced catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.
- Rebuilt transmission
- Replaced clutch
- Replaced ring gear
- Full tune up including spark plugs, fluids, air filter, fuel filter(s), etc.

In 2013 at (270,000 miles) the previous owner had the following work completed:
- Rear axle rebuilt and ARB locker installed.
- Front axle rebuilt
- Front and rear brakes replaced
- Emergency brake replaced
- Rear universal joints replaced

The good:
Rust free body (undercarriage has normal surface rust)
Vortec installed in 2011 – has +/- 30,000 miles
Truck is refereed, registered and smog legal in California (new cats, 02 sensors, etc)
H55 just rebuilt and new Centerforce clutch installed
Man-A-Fre deluxe winch bumper (no winch)
Man-A-Fre Tow bumper w/swing away tire mount and carrier basket
Man-A Fre sliders
Man-A-Fre heavy duty anti inversion shackles
Aussie Mirrors
ARB rear locker + compressor
OME shocks + springs
OME sway bars
Marlin High Steer Kit
Stainless brake lines
Tacoma steel wheels (x5)
285x75x16 BFG All Terrain tires (x5)
Spidertrax spacers
Tuffy Locking center console w/cup holders
Recaro driver seat w/Planted bracket

The bad:
Paint is in poor condition – faded, flaking, redneck pinstripes, etc.
Interior is in ok condition – evidence of kids, dogs, bikes, kayaks, tools, etc.
One dent in driver side rear pillar
Front knuckle is weeping
Windshield leaks
AC is not functional

The bottom line:
This is not a perfect FJ60. That said, it is a great platform for someone with more time, space and/or mechanical aptitude than I do. I’ve priced it based on where the market is at for a 60 in this condition, w/these modifications + the recent work I’ve put into it.

Extras:
I have a box of random parts that go w/the sale – window regulators, new dash cover, original driver seat, original spare, Yakima rack, etc.

Price: Asking $15,000 or reasonable offer - just purchased a 100 Series and this one needs to go.

60-1.jpg

60-3.jpg

60-2.jpg

60-4.jpg

60-5.jpg

Last edited:
What’s up with a/c .....not installed or installed and leaking/non functional.?

ANy partial trade interest?

you mention that it needs stuff to be ready for a big trip into backcountry? Is there some electrical / check engine codes or other items you deem it needs to be fully prepped ? Or is it just all the things u listed needing fixes- window regulators-weepy axles-paint-a/c. etc?? Does this overheat or other engine related tidbits? Hows gear whine?? Shifting smooth or notchy??

Last edited:
What’s up with a/c .....not installed or installed and leaking/non functional.?

ANy partial trade interest?

you mention that it needs stuff to be ready for a big trip into backcountry? Is there some electrical / check engine codes or other items you deem it needs to be fully prepped ? Or is it just all the things u listed needing fixes- window regulators-weepy axles-paint-a/c. etc?? Does this overheat or other engine related tidbits? Hows gear whine?? Shifting smooth or notchy??

All AC hardware appears to be in place. Its just another item I don't have time to deal with. It does throw an occasional code. It/they are related to 02 sensors and Valley Hybrids tells me that it is due to the fact that the new cats/02 sensors were not installed in exactly the right places along the exhaust path. That said, I just smogged it and it passed w/no problems. No overheating and the only drivetrain related issue is that it is due for a U-joint or two. Transmission shifts perfectly - it was just rebuilt and new clutch installed.

The only partial trade items I'd be interested in would be 100 Series parts (bumpers/sliders/winch/tires/suspension) or bike related hookups....

Oooh. I do have bikes. independent Fabrication Titamium crown jewel./ Knolly Endorphin / IF ti Singlespeed / and access to lots more. what size are you and what are your interests? road/Dirt /parts etc. I have nice wheelsets and drivetrain stuff. King /I9/ xx1 /xtr

We recently worked on this 60 for Desmond and his discription is spot-on.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

UPDATE - I just returned from a week in the Downieville area with the cruiser. I had it loaded w/bikes, camping gear, fishing gear and kids. It was comfortable on the road and amazing on the trails. Lowering price to $13,000 - its ready for a new owner.

fj60 - 15.jpg

fj60 - 16.jpg

This is a great deal for someone at 13k. California certified and valley hybrids certified, thats worth the price of admission before you get to some of the other extras!

Now if it doesn't sell soon and you want to mitigate some of your loss I am headed to Georg's place next month and we could maybe work out a deal for that rear bumper and those sliders...;)

GLWS

Great deal at 13k. Somebody is going to get a really well set up rig that doesn't need much to really awesome.

Does this mean you’re selling it or is it just an update?

Sorry to stir the pot unduly.

Yea, not selling the ol' Chonk.
... just letting whomever wanted to know that she's in good hands, and well taken care of.

When I sell, ya'll will be the first to know ;)

F09EF2B0-FFAE-4259-A145-397820B90A8E.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom