Bypass Heater control valve? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Elaborate = YES.

I put 500 miles on since this mod (totally removing the heater control valve). Results are good so far.

When I slide the heat selector to HOT (red) it blows damn hot air out of the vents. (like it should)
When I slide the heat selector to COLD (blue) it blows damn cold air out of the vents. (like it should)
When I slide the heat selector in the middle, it blows warm air out of the vents. (like it should)

In other words - I cannot tell the heater control valve is missing. The air doors in the heater box / in the dash are working and allow the correct temperature air to come out of the vents.

I will update in the summer months to be sure I'm not getting warm air through when I want A/C cold air.

Make sense?

I have a question about the heater control valve. I replaced mine since the original was old and brittle. The new one did not come with the lever so I used the old lever with the the old screw in the new valve. It is leaking coolant from the lever. Did I miss something ? I took out the screw and wrapped it with Teflon and it is still leaking. Any advise ? Thanks

I have a question about the heater control valve. I replaced mine since the original was old and brittle. The new one did not come with the lever so I used the old lever with the the old screw in the new valve. It is leaking coolant from the lever. Did I miss something ? I took out the screw and wrapped it with Teflon and it is still leaking. Any advise ? Thanks
Hi. Name is Joe. I too replaced the valve with a new Toyota Replacement. After a few years it leaks from the screw. Q: Did you replace the valve again or find another repair method?

Hello Joe, I found a new Toyota valve for $55. I believe I found it at Mag Engines. They shipped it from somewhere in the Middle East. It was a genuine Toyota part. The aftermarket I had was no good. I didn’t want to take a chance.

Just an update.

I totally removed my heater valve and bypassed by rear heater last fall. This mod worked great all winter. It is still working great as temps rise here in MN. Will update this summer.

Hose 1.JPG

Just an update.

I totally removed my heater valve and bypassed by rear heater last fall. This mod worked great all winter. It is still working great as temps rise here in MN. Will update this summer.

View attachment 1956905

Probably work fine for you, not so much where the weather gets warm.

Your wire harness needs to be tied in place at the EGR pipe location.

I have not use recirc yet, no heat through vents though. I will try it on the way home today.

Tools R Us - Thanks for pointing out my harness - will check that out tonight.

Yea it’s a trick I use. I don’t have ac and run windows down in the summer. Even with the slider all the way to the cool side and the fan off I still get air flow through the vents when driving at 40+. Which makes sense as it’s pulling air from right below the windshield wipers and air gets forced into the system when driving.

This air is heated up by the dash, ducts and everything in between so it still comes out hot. Hitting recirc closes the intake from the cowl and stops the air flow through the vents. It’s easier to cool down when the outside air intake is shut (recirc) and the windows are open.

Alright Folks. As mentioned above, I have totally removed my heater control valve - see post #27 in this thread.

It is HOT and HUMID here this weekend and I just got my A/C working yesterday.

The A/C blows 100% cold air. I have the HVAC put in recirc mode. I cannot tell that the heater control valve is GONE.

So, I'm confident that folks from the northland can totally remove the heater control valve (eliminating all of its problems) and run it without and issues.

Love it!

It is HOT and HUMID here this weekend...

Hmmm...
286A4E5C-DE03-4BF0-8576-12E38368A6E9.jpeg

D269DDDD-B5EF-4359-BCE2-94A1F3845DD3.jpeg

Just curious, but what does it feel like to get told you’re experiencing excessive heat when your high is 3° more than our low?

EDIT: I forgot to mention; my truck runs cooler when the humidity hits here than it does when it’s dry like it is right now.

Hmmm...
View attachment 2016056

View attachment 2016057

Just curious, but what does it feel like to get told you’re experiencing excessive heat when your high is 3° more than our low?

EDIT: I forgot to mention; my truck runs cooler when the humidity hits here than it does when it’s dry like it is right now.

You win boss. Northlander here. I Still have ice cold ac here in MN.

You win boss. Northlander here. I Still have ice cold ac here in MN.

It’s my guess the milder climates would do well with your mod. Us desert rats are just trying to drink enough water in the day before the burros get to it all. :hillbilly:

I'm feeling adventurous. We get 100°+ weather here. I'm going to try this bypass, and report back.

I haven't changed the heater valve in my 80, in the 5 years I've owned it, so I know it's a ticking time bomb.

I just picked up a 1996 that has the HCV bypassed. It's working fine for the winter here in Alaska, but before summer I want to get it back operational. Does anyone have a good photo of how the hoses run or even parts #'s for the hoses of the factory orientation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom