Bumper advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so due to a complete lack of sleep, combined with some poor signaling on the part of the car 3 in front of me, I am in need of a new front bumper. not sure what insurance will cover or if I will even make a claim based on my deductable, but that doesn't mean im not shopping! So the question, predictably, is:
who makes good ones? I like ARB a lot, but i don't need the full grill protection, and they look heavy. Looking for something similar style wise, tough and relatively light and simple. I don't hear good things about TJM and I don't like the looks, but does anyone have any other ideas?

What's your price range?

The ARB isn't really that heavy. I can lift it by myself. Mounting it on the frame was a two person job though.

The one piece makes it durable enough and the guard up top helps with headlight protection. If you search for ARB accident on the forum, you'll see just what has happened first hand in wrecks.

ASide from that, there are more durable bumpers. Aoe is highly regarded as is the slee. For rock crawling, slee may offer better approach angles.

And to paraphrase your jalopnik post about the 80s, it can be said that we have brakes.

So you have any pics?

damn strait on the brakes, in the tiny instant I had them applied I actually had enough time to say to myself "really...this is it?!" I thought for a brief second that i wasn't actually hitting the brakes.

Price isn't going to be a big deal, I mean, no $1500 units, but i suspect the insurance will cut me a check for $650-750 and depending on my deductible it may be worth it to just move up.

Check into the Slee Short bus - clean and tigher to the body

Possibly look into a custom built one from your friendly neighborhood welder. They can make any design thatd best fit what you need and (depending on the welder) could be as good in build quality and better in practicality than buying a premade one.

well damn. I guess my deductible is 1000. So much for insurance helping out. who's idea was that?

Ultimately, what do you need the bumper for? what's the function? Do you plan on needing a winch ever?

And where are you? Another guy posted about a non winch bumper in California for 600

Ultimately, what do you need the bumper for? what's the function? Do you plan on needing a winch ever?

And where are you? Another guy posted about a non winch bumper in California for 600

I'm guessin he's in Sandy Utah?

I was thinking about a winch eventually for the peace of mind when I take the family out into the boonies, but it would be later...a year or so before I made that jump. I mainly want mounting points for shackles and hi lifts as well as better strength and looks.

Just put an Ironman Deluxe on. Similar to the ARB but with a sweet light package.

lighter than ARB? also, any better pics than the metaltech site?
EDIT: I think you literally means lights, as in fogs right?

ARB is pretty dang light, buy it online somewhere with free shipping and its pretty dang cheap. Adding a winch is where the weight is but that depends too. Cheap winches don't way that much....and neither does synthetic line...but it adds up.

Annnd get some real brake rotors and brake pads on that thang, pronto! :cheers:

good to know on the weight. I have progressive springs and I don't wont the front to take a dive. funny thing is the brakes and rotors have only 1000 miles on them. I think i needed 3 more feet is all. dag.

Possibly look into a custom built one from your friendly neighborhood welder. They can make any design thatd best fit what you need and (depending on the welder) could be as good in build quality and better in practicality than buying a premade one.

I asked a local welding shop, who advertized offroad bumpers among other things, about making a shortbus style bumper and he said he couldn't do it for near the price Slee charges. His ballpark was up around $12-$13k.

My 92' had an ARB - nice but more overland-ish then my current slee which is a bit lighter and tucked up more..... it's also more robust on the winch mount and recovery points, but offers less protection for the front end if you were to hit a deer.....

both are good options it really depends on what you like visually .... AOE, 4X4 labs and Metaltech also have options..... the metal tech is likely the cheapest if you like the look....

cheers
image.jpg

Translation .... He didnt want to.

That dude is nuts. What about metal techs front tube bumper? Light and strong if your not stuck on plate designs. On sale this month too.

I just put a new arb on mine this weekend.

I had narrowed it down to Ironman. I was choosing the Ironman for the more modern look, but the ARB was a close second because it was tried and true. I was 51% Ironman and 49% ARB. I sent an email to the folks at TRDparts4U over in Dallas. They are semi local to me so I could drive over and pick it up. I asked if he might soon be running a deal on Ironman. He sent an email back to call him. He said he had a smoking deal for me on an 80 series bumper.

I called and John told me he didn't have an Ironman in stock, but he had an ARB that had been in his inventory too long. He did make me a 'smoking deal' on it so I drove to Dallas and picked it up the next morning. So I ended up with the ARB. I am very pleased.

I also loved the Slee Shortbus but I ruled it out because of my intended use. I live in East Texas and it is far more likely for me to hit a deer than hit a rock. I wanted the taller protection of the bull bar.

Hammerhead, get yourself an ARB. Only logical option. You overland so the "wings" will come in handy for additional protection. It is high lift compatible I've read, and you can get one with a winch tray.

I picked up mine off Amazon with free shipping just so you know and it was here within the week.

Plus, the ARB is a tried and true look. I was considering the Iron man but it looked too... Unconventional Haha
IMAG0408.jpg

Oddly enough, one of my coworkers has a a real nice 80 too.

lighter than ARB? also, any better pics than the metaltech site?
EDIT: I think you literally means lights, as in fogs right?

Check this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/iron-man-bumper-finally-installed-by-me.798966/#post-9113156

As for its weight, prob similar to an ARB. The light package includes 55 watt H3 halogens. They're nice. There is a thread on MUD where someone installed some HIDs. I may do this down the road. Right now I am focused on my suspension. Sierra Expedition has them at a great price with free shipping! No tax too, if you live outside AZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom