Builds - 1997 FZJ80 in Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alpine-overland.com
I should have started this thread last year, but here it goes:
After owning two Land Rovers, it was time to throw in the towel. I found a 3x locked ‘97 in Steamboat Springs last year and pulled the trigger. The previous owner had already outfitted the truck pretty well with ARB and Slee equipment and the mechanicals looked solid, so I figured I was off to a good start.

Here is one of my Rovers in its natural habitat:
8200639E-930C-4B86-BFE8-6A255C72F6FC.jpeg

And here is my Land Cruiser the day I bought it:
4C8CFB23-AA83-4923-A9A6-318A66325E26.jpeg

Ive already done a bunch of baselining and mods since then (which I’ll outline below) and then we’ll be caught up.

Here’s how she sits right now. Mod list in progress below... I'm sure I've missed stuff.

1BE54F86-0817-4FD3-A7CA-D7A5695E02AE.jpeg

Exterior:
ARB Winch Bumper
Warn winch with synthetic line
Lightforce Floods
Trailspec hood vents
ROW side moldings
Clear marker and corner lights
ARB Safari Snorkel
TRD Pro Wheels
Spidertrax Spacers
Slee Sliders
Bowfin Cruisers full rack
Gamiviti Side Ladder
4x4Labs Dual swingout rear bumper
4x4Labs Rear Ladder w/ Hi-Lift Mount
Hi-Lift Jack
4x4Labs Triple Jerry Can Holder
4x4Labs Spare Tire Carrier
OffGrid RTT
Amazon Awning
Amazon LED Light Bar

Interior:
SCAT Lumbar Elite Front seats
Wits End Quarter Panel Mount
Alpine Overland Tailgate cutting board
Gentex Temp/homelink/compass autodim mirror
Wits End Mirror Mount
Wits End useless cubby insert
RAM tablet mount
Wits End Ashtray Switch Mount
Scangauge w/ custom mount
Land Rover D2 Cup Holder
BH3D Cup Holder
LX400 Sun Visors
ARB Outback Rear Drawer system

Electrical:
Alpine Overland keyless entry w/ integrated key+fob
Slee washer relocation kit w/ dual battery box
Full dual battery system with solar
Sony CarPlay Deck
Focal speaker upgrades
CerwinVega Powered Sub
Aux Electric Radiator Fan
Pin7 Mod w/ CDL Button
ROW overhead console (sub fuel and altimeter)
Toyota Inverter with 115V 100W Switch and outlet
LED Interior Lights
Overhead entertainment system
Heated washer fluid
LED Underhood worklight
Alpine Overland tailgate light

Mechanical:
Wits End Blue Modded Fan Clutch
Fox 2.0 Shocks
OME Springs
Delta VS Panhard Lift Bracket
OEM Hand Throttle
Oil catch can
ARB Diff breathers

Other:
ROW factory AUX fuel tank

Last edited:
I realized I had a decent valve cover leak going after a 2k mile trip to pick up some ARB Outback drawers I found in AZ.
3 of the Spark plug seals had deteriorated and were unseated from the VC. All seals were hard as a rock. Unfortunately I found out that one of my half moons was chipped at the corner so I’m waiting on replacement parts.

6415E8A9-8991-4637-83AA-3029C2713A82.jpeg
D6141DEC-BACB-48DE-9285-A5AC5302C06F.jpeg

The throttle body and intake manifold were plugged with carbon so I’m going to work on that and replace vacuum hoses while I wait. I also painted the VC wrinkle black.

Good looking VC. Crazy that I did the same thing just this week too with the same finish. I put gloss clear over it though. I'm very pleased with the results. How did you like yours? I'm also baselining mine and since I had to do the VCG, i did the while you're in there repairs, new vac lines, new phh wak hose, new radiator hoses, rear heater delete, new radiator cap, new hose clamps, new fuel filter, new pcv valve, new pcv valve hoses, new heater control valve, oil change with toyota filter, toyota air filter, oil pan reseal. Still to do the front crank seal, dizzy 0ring and oil pump seal. Just sharing my list in case you want to add something to yours. Great looking rig!

Thanks for the list! The PO did the phh and I just did the dizzy o-ring. It was leaking a bunch. I changed all the hoses and EGR related stuff. I also added an oil catch can. The VC turned out great. I sanded the letters to bare aluminum and replaced the spark plug tube gaskets. I plan on replacing the plugs and plug wires while I’m at it.
F3664523-6BA7-489B-9E56-B200CB3DED0E.jpeg

A0769279-6FE0-45D2-959E-1308E1EECFB5.jpeg
8F732FA2-D627-4CB6-A780-B87B8CD47321.jpeg
Well here's the final list. I also installed Trailspec hood vents that I had sitting around for a while. Fingers crossed that my oil leak stops.

Replaced all vacuum hoses
Cleaned and painted valve cover
Replaced valve cover gasket
Replaced spark plug tube gaskets (6)
Resealed semicircular camshaft plugs
Cleaned throttle body and passages
Replaced both throttle body heater by-pass hoses
Replaced vacuum check valve
Replaced spark plugs
Replaced spark plug wires
Replaced throttle body gasket
Replaced small water by-pass hoses (3)
Replaced hood struts

My fuel transfer assembly and sub tank straps arrived today from Australia and I’m getting closer to a functioning OEM aux fuel system. It took me around a month to find these parts and another two months for shipping. I think all that’s left is the dual filler neck! The NA trucks have the holes for the tank strap rivnuts, but it must have been a body off deal at the factory because clearance is just about impossible. I ended up using a jacknut and barely got it to set.

E68D2130-9AB5-46B2-8C36-37C7ECD4A6A4.jpeg
E06D63CE-1D40-4E93-91BE-FD18EEB39E86.jpeg
102C0D64-48A3-4A3A-A87E-0F920B3E0A2F.jpeg

Looking good! Where did you mount your tablet?

Thanks! I just hope the finish holds up.
I also finished some 3D printed rear speaker adapters that allows for more speaker options. I’ll post up the STL if anyone wants it.
View attachment 2306776View attachment 2306777

Did you cut the rear doors to handle 6 1/2" speaker's ?

I'm about to take the Dremel to my back doors as I'd like to drop in some Polk 652's to match the front.

Def. could use your STL if you are willing to share - There is a thread on 3D printer 80 parts I added to for the adapter for Polk 4 1/2" speakers for the front dash and a bracket to mount an alpine behind the dash amp to the popular Sony head unit.

I used a RAM mount and mounted it to the wits end useless cubby insert:

View attachment 2328024
I did the same! I have a cheap Samsung 8" and it shakes quite a bit. By the way, I mounted my scan gauge in the same place!! Did you do anything special there?

I did the same! I have a cheap Samsung 8" and it shakes quite a bit. By the way, I mounted my scan gauge in the same place!! Did you do anything special there?
The RAM mount vibrates a little bit, but I don’t mind. I 3D printed a bracket for my scan gauge that uses a friction fit between the console and dash.

Did you cut the rear doors to handle 6 1/2" speaker's ?

I'm about to take the Dremel to my back doors as I'd like to drop in some Polk 652's to match the front.

Def. could use your STL if you are willing to share - There is a thread on 3D printer 80 parts I added to for the adapter for Polk 4 1/2" speakers for the front dash and a bracket to mount an alpine behind the dash amp to the popular Sony head unit.
I haven’t cut anything yet, I just spaced it out away from the window track. I’ll post the stl once I’m at my laptop.

Looks good! Which magnetic mount?

This is the magnetic mount I used. I put a metal plate below and above the wireless charging area on the back of my phone. It holds really well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom