Building my FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured I would start a thread to document the progress. It started as a Cruiser whos better days were behind it, parked under a pine tree that liked to shed. I got it through a family friends coworker. Knowing what I know now, I definitely paid too much up front 🤷‍♂️ .

I was going to write it all out but it turned into a novel. Here's a list of what's been done so far.

Done:
-Timing cover/Oil pump cover leak repaired (New head gasket, timing chain, water pump and thermostat at the same time)
-Viscous coupler removed, PO had done something to seize it up
-Hazard light center diff lock switch, I just couldn't see paying an extra 60 bucks for a decal
-Knuckles rebuilt, Front Range drive flanges, Hub and Steering studs
-OME 2.5" lift with Delta Vehicle Systems Caster Correction arms

On Deck:
-Rock sliders
-Gears and ARB lockers
-Front/rear bumpers and roof rack
-Stereo, Upholstery
20190901_080906.jpg
20200410_001610.jpg
20200414_170118.jpg
IMG_20190831_195352_01.jpg
IMG_20190901_143936_01.jpg

How was it installing the Delta VS arms? Looks like a straight forward easy install? Have any issues?

How was it installing the Delta VS arms? Looks like a straight forward easy install? Have any issues?
So it is pretty straight forward, that being said I kinda screwed the pooch and the axle rolled forward which screwed me over. Had to winch it back but once one side was in it was cake. Definitely glad I bought them, the truck rides like stock if not better.

How would I prevent the axle rolling when I install the Delta arms?

How would I prevent the axle rolling when I install the Delta arms?
Following the instructions better than I did. It tells you to jack under the frame and under the axle to unload some weight off the arms, I only did the axle side. Pretty sure that's what happened. Maybe have the parking brake on. And definitely only do one side at a time.

Awesome start. Our of curiosity how many miles? You said you paid to much, mind sharing what you paid for it?
Thanks man, it has 212k miles. So I originally was going to pick it up for 5k, family friend bought it and held it for about 6 or more months so I compensated him for the insurance and registration etc. So I think I was out the door for 5675 or so. If I were to have bought this knowing what I know now, it would have been a 3-4k vehicle in my opinion.

Thanks man, it has 212k miles. So I originally was going to pick it up for 5k, family friend bought it and held it for about 6 or more months so I compensated him for the insurance and registration etc. So I think I was out the door for 5675 or so. If I were to have bought this knowing what I know now, it would have been a 3-4k vehicle in my opinion.
Hell in my opinion that's a good deal! Sweet setup. Seems like you know what you are doing. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Some new 35" all terrain tires or mud tires would have that thing looking mean! I would definitely do that before a locker.

Hell in my opinion that's a good deal! Sweet setup. Seems like you know what you are doing. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Some new 35" all terrain tires or mud tires would have that thing looking mean! I would definitely do that before a locker.
Thanks man, I have the 35s sitting in the shed ready to go on, just hesitant to run them with stock gears. You have any thoughts on it?

Nice Bald Mountain pic.

Nope. That's a good price for a California 80. These days, anything under $10K in California is a hot mess or a 91-92. You'll be fine with 35s and stock gearing.

Thanks man, I have the 35s sitting in the shed ready to go on, just hesitant to run them with stock gears. You have any thoughts on it?
I'm running 35s with stock gears right now and haven't had any issues. Changing the gearing wouldn't hurt but I would throw them on there and worry about it later if it was me. I am unsure if it is common for people to change the gears with 35s. I know I have seen threads on changing them if you go to 37s. Others will have to chime in on that. If its common and I just haven't seen it, it would be something I need to look into myself. But I have taken mine on some pretty tough trails and not had any issues.

Last edited:
Nice Bald Mountain pic.

Nope. That's a good price for a California 80. These days, anything under $10K in California is a hot mess or a 91-92. You'll be fine with 35s and stock gearing.
Thanks man, I think I'll throw them on this evening and run them around for a while. And yeah, followed some Tacoma's up the mountain, didn't realize there's also essentially a fire road going to the top. But she did good climbing over the obstacles, just had to bump over stuff here and there.

Be careful. The garages in Fresno and Clovis aren't typically tall. You'll come really close to making contact with the garage header without armor.

BTW, the lower front end looks very grease free.

^^^
Exactly what mine looks like down to the chrome handles, great work!
Everyone says 35s r no problem search it up as it's something I havent done, but looking good!

^^^
Exactly what mine looks like down to the chrome handles, great work!
Everyone says 35s r no problem search it up as it's something I havent done, but looking good!
Thanks man, I even had the slick chrome mirrors but the driver's side went out so had to go aftermarket black.

So I went with the recommendation to put the tires on. Glad I did, the stock gears are enough to get by while I save for lockers and gears. Rolled the dice a bit with the fitment in the garage :cool:

20200519_181040.jpg

20200519_183048.jpg

20200519_195126.jpg

After putting on the lift, found the LSPV leaking out of the rubber boot. Check out jcardona's thread on removing it and decided to go that route. Went from nose diving to stoping perfectly.
20200605_201834.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom