building gate w/ one side removable suggestions please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I am extending my side yard so that I can store my camping trailer on the side of the house instead of the garage. It would normally be an easy build by having two doors with some type of latch the goes into the ground to keep them closed. Both doors could swing open or closed depending on what I need to do.

My problem is I can only have the right side half of the gate swing open and closed. For this application, the gate will swing out towards the front of the house. The other side will not have room to swivel out. My wife has plants that I cannot have the gate hit to swing out and I cannot have it swing in as there will not be enough room to close it once I put my trailer there.

In the picture, the side that must be removable has the “R”. I could put a normal hinge system on the posts supports but then I would have to remove each bolt and hinge and take the gate off every time I want to use it. Not good. So I plan on being able to just lift out the "R" section and replace it when done.

Anyone have suggestions on how to make this easy? Or at least easier than making a normal gate and removing the hinges every time I need to use it?

Thanks, Dan
gate.JPG

Or I was thinking about making one large section that opens just wide enough for a trailer. (Wheel base is the same as a cruiser so the opening would have to be at least 8' wide with a WB of 90"s plus wider wheels and tires).

The only issue I have with this is the stress an 8' wide gate would have on the 4x4 that it is bolted to and the possibility for sagging. I do not want to have to put a wheel on the bottom of it to keep it level since it will have to roll on grass and sooner or later that will dig a goove int he grass and then the wife will be angry.

Anyone have any ideas of how to create a system that will support 8' of gate without sagging?
gate3.JPG

Last edited:
How about one of these for the removable side. Weight of the gate keeps the eye on the pintle but can be lifted off. They make all kinds of sizes depending on the requirement.

ScrewEyePintle-LG.jpg
ScrewEyePintle-LG.jpg

How about one of these for the removable side. Weight of the gate keeps the eye on the pintle but can be lifted off. They make all kinds of sizes depending on the requirement.

View attachment 136202

Good! Haven't seen those but they could work great.

View attachment 136202

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

They use them for farm gates all the time.

Could you make one big bifold door?

Or perhaps have the 'R' door slide on the swinging door so that you can slide it over, and then open the whole thing as one piece? Clear as mud?

Heres my junk:

Im not sure if this helps , but the gate just lifts off from the ball bering hinges.

Its 12 x 5 .

ken
P1010069.jpg
P1010068.jpg

I think a bi-fold style would work well. Think of the right hand side of a school bus door folding against the wall.

If you install a steel post like that in ken's picture as a support post then you can probably go full width with a well built steel frame. I installed metal roofing material on a steel frame and it looked really nice.

Never considered bi-fold. Something to think about. Thanks for all the suggestions. Now to get the time after the other list of honey-dos are done.

Hinge

I made the hinges on my gates. I welded a piece of hot roll to the post and bent it 90 degrees. I welded on a slightly larger piece of pipe to the gate itself. The pipe will just slide over the rod that you bent.

Just like a farm gate.

3/4" hot roll and 1" pipe will hold alot of weight.

JR

Lifting the stationary "gate" off of the phony screw in hinge bolts will get very old in short order, putting the thing back up by yourself will be even more fun.

Is privacy/opacity important? Why not get a scissor style security gate that spans the entire distance(~8') and opens laterally on the same plane rather than a swinging gate. If you have a small area that needs to be stationary you have a good place to plant a substantial gate post, preferably steel in concrete.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Screw the thing that will hold the gate into a post or whatever is going to support the thing, then you can get the other piece with a clamp body instead of a screw body. Clamp a couple on a pre-made chain link gate and you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom