Builds Build up: Rusty Mustard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
Project to include

TH700R4 Beefed up by Georg aka Orange45
Dana 300 T-case
32 Spline Rear Output Upgrade
MiniTruck/Cruiser Hybrid Rear Axle
New Exhaust (Ramshorn)
New Cooling fan (Tarus )

+ Alot of other mini Projects to fix my Previous Hacks :cool:

Before Photo (last weekend)
attachment.php

Issues with the Current Setup
The Truck Prevously had a Clutch Fan that would hit Shroud every time i flexed it out..(makes it intresting while trying to focus on the rocks)

The Stock 4 speed Tranny And T-case made the truck way to fast on the rocks.. i found myself Pounding my way thru trails..

Exhaust Used to be Fender Exit Headers, They Heated up your feet for you, Leaked Bad, Mufflers Dragged on rocks, and i cant say how many times i burnt my hands on them :mad:

Why..

700r4

7004r is what Came behind my TBI 350.. The computer will control the lockup, ect just as Stock. Overdrive of .7 Keeps the RPM's down on the HWY.. 3.05 First Gear is Low for an Auto.. One of the most popular Trannys every made, parts everywhere.. the list goes on..
Dana 300

Many Adapters to a 700r4.. Ture Twin Stick.. Clockable.. 4:1 Low Range Avalible.. Front/Rear 32 Spline outputs.. 2.6:1 Stock Low range.. Common Item in Junkyards/parts stores

First Photo after i got most the Junk off of it :grinpimp:
First Teardown.jpg

Over fifty views and no replies......?

Looks like a good plan to me, I may be mistaken but I thought you had to disable the ecm control to the tranny even if you are running the 350 tbi motor because of differences in R&P gearing?

I only ask because I'm working on the same project now, only using a stock LC t-case.....

Maybe one day it will grow up to be an Orion :D

hhhmmm...sounds familiar... ;)

IMO, upgrade the front out on that D300 while yer in there...and do the 4:1 kit and DO NOT buy a rebuild kit for it, since doing the outputs and gears gets you 99.9% of the bearings/gaskets anyways...

twinstick with cable shifters, not the levers...I wish I had....

my TBI350, 700R, Sunray adapter, and D300 with the AA rear output and Highangle flange allows for a stock minitruck CV front shaft to fit precisely...about 26" working length. (my rear axle IS pushed back with the 4-link tho, wheelbase is ~100")

my front 2-piece shaft uses a ~13" carrier shaft and a nearly identical 25-3/4" front mini-jointed shaft....makes them interchangable....if ya can break them...lol

i am aiming for a 100" Wheelbase.. but i want to keep leafs for now (FJ60) put my Shackle as far back as possible. My adapter is a bit thicker that the Sunray, (i will know how long tonight when Georg shows up with the Tranny+adapter).

Sorry Woody, im a CopyCat, but for good reasons.. Cheep, Strong and effective

I was originaly going to go with a sm465, but that would have lead to me yanking everything out and starting over down the road.. From here i can upgrade in stages..

As for the Front output and 4:1, its not in the budget .. In a year i will be out of school, and i will be able to pull it out and Slap in the good stuff..

Last edited:
Tranny

Georg Dropped off my Tranny Tonight, (Thanks again man!)

Time to get busy..:D

Driveline will be about 38" with a Toyota Flange..

Driveshaft should end up in area of 26" with the FJ60 Springs

Exactly the same lenghth as with my stock 4speed Tranny/tcase and Stock Springs

Woody what did your shaft come out of? The Minitruck CV shaft i got at the junkyard is only like 21" long
Tranny here!.jpg

Last edited:
Rear Axle

Axle housing is already done, Minitruck Outers, Cruiser Center Section..

55" WTW same as stock FJ40

i Still need to Finish the Disk Brakes, and figure out a 3rd Member

i have a used 4:11 Fine Spline Gearset i may toss into my Welded 3rd for now
housing.jpg

Transfer Case

The Dana 300 is already Rebuilt..
I put in the Tera Low HD 300 32 Spline Rear Output.
Twin Sticks are already Purchased.. Currie Style..

Rear Output Flange i need to order from Jessie Soon!

Still need to order a VSS

my photos went missing :crybaby: so just imagine what it would look like for now :flipoff2:

isotel said:
Georg Dropped off my Tranny Tonight, (Thanks again man!)

Time to get busy..:D

Driveline will be about 38" with a Toyota Flange..

Driveshaft should end up in area of 26" with the FJ60 Springs

Exactly the same lenghth as with my stock 4speed Tranny/tcase and Stock Springs

Woody what did your shaft come out of? The Minitruck CV shaft i got at the junkyard is only like 21" long
dam you got that s*** bolted up fast we didnt drop that off 30 minutes ago

Photos! I crave photos!

I am really looking forward to seeing this together.

VSS?

What is the advantage of a Dana 300 case? If you are going to spent the $$ why not go Atlas?
(newb question, sorry)

Tranny Cooling Decisions

The Plan is a 17x10x 3/4" Summit Tranny Cooler in front of the Radiator, Placed right behind the bib for maximum air flow..

Somone brought up the idea of using an A/C heat exchanger off of somthing instead.. dose this person have any Merit, They are pretty big, cheep..

I will be using a Taurus fan to cool it all, Hooked up with 2 sending units controling the Relays. One for coolant, one for tranny..

VSS will be used , From JTR or maybe Painless.. 2 PPM 7/8 18 Thread for the D300

Dana 300's ive never seen as cheep as $50, but i picked mine up for a decent deal, $200 w/ new rebuild kit from a Heep Freind..

Ive got about $500 in mine so far w/ HD rear Output and Twinsticks.. Add $130 or so For a Toyota Flange, IN the future i can do the 4:1, etc.. and still be cheeper than the atlas.. main thing for now is getting rid of the Aluminum Cruiser case, and options for Strength and Gear Upgrades down the road..

PS Cooler is installed (almost), :cheers:
pscooler.jpg

Last edited:
I am Planning on a 2 piece front :)

but i will also look into other options.. Im like 99% sure i will do it.. this weekends project entails some Driveline Plecement and clocking decisions..

I was grinding the old mounts off last night till 2 AM.. not my favorite thing to do

Super cool rig man, I love the mustard and the clean body lines.

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
Super cool rig man, I love the mustard and the clean body lines.

Rob

Thanks, the other side is Pretty bad, and the Rear Sill is almost gone ..

This photo explains some of the body damage, Prevous Owner liked to Drink + Drive :(

Misc 70's era Pull tabs and Bottle Tops.. the intresting stuff you find in the cracks of the gas tank.. This is only about 10% of them, ive been finding more and more since i got the truck..
bottle tops.jpg

Last edited:
Driveline Placement

Got the Tranny and T-case Wrestled into place last night..

Any input you guys have as far as driveline placement?

The T-case is going to be a tight squeeze.. i dont think i can get it all the way clocked up without cutting out of the tub and modifying the gas tank.. It will be close..

2 Peice shaft is going to be a must.. Or drop the t-case alot.. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom