Builds Build: Too Tall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent the holiday break at my BILs, but found a few minutes in the shop last night. Installed a reman Denso starter:
img_1536_ea98e6fb54a741e3852898f3d940003e5898fd0b.jpg

And an Aisin Slave:
img_1535_329e30dec9d9bd4777932ec630efe6649c08e603.jpg

I've got an Aisin master sitting on the shelf, decided to let the hardware soak in PB blaster overnight before trying to remove the old one.

Very cool build and that body looks to be very straight. Going to be nice! Would love more info on that rotor caliper combo you went with. My first gen isn't as nice starting out but i am about to get cracking on it as soon as I get this 100 series out of the garage.

Thanks man, I'm hoping to get all of the spray paint off and go with original patina at some point. 94 V6 Calipers and ~87 FJ60 rotors.

Very cool build and that body looks to be very straight. Going to be nice! Would love more info on that rotor caliper combo you went with. My first gen isn't as nice starting out but i am about to get cracking on it as soon as I get this 100 series out of the garage.
Yep, V6 calipers, FJ60 rotors. Make sure you also use the 1" master cylinder. I would also recommend the larger brake booster too.

Last edited:
FWIW I found that the OME front springs for my '84 coupled with the GM 63's under the rear using a WFO spring transplant kit worked really well with Bilstein 5100/7100's. I set the WFO shackle hangers to butt up against the rear of the OE shackle hangers which gave me the Deaver Spring's recommended shackle angle. Most who rode in the truck, even desert racers, couldn't believe how well it worked as a leaf spring truck. I chased desert racers for over a decade with it and was usually the smoothest ride on wash-board roads during our Nevada trips. I ran BFG 33-10.50 A/T's exclusively. I found that 30 psi on those worked well on pavement and that I rarely needed to drop below 20 psi in the dirt. I know that it's sacrilegious, but I rarely aired down at all as I didn't need to for the sake of ride quality or traction.

As for brakes I don't get why folks insist on a home-brew combination when they could simply order ALL of the V6 4rnnr brake parts (booster, M/C, etc.) and have an excellent system from one donor that is easy to remember.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input about the suspension, I'm sure I'm going to hate the way this thing rides, so I may start to collect parts to do what you mentioned.

As far as the brakes I believe the way the rotors mount to the solid axle hubs is different than the IFS hubs that come on the V6 runners hence why I needed to use the rotors from the FJ60

The rotor part I get, but mixing and matching the booster and M/C to end up with what the V6 4rnnr already has doesn't make any sense to me. I am a brake snob and I now own a V6 4rnnr. It's pedal feel is the best that I've ever had in a Toyota truck.

I removed a couple leaves from the GM springs, and I ran the O/L leaf upside down.
i-vzgqCpR-M.jpg

Anything further happen with this build?

Anything further happen with this build?
The absolute first mistake I made with this project was telling myself that it wasn't going to be one of those that gets a good start, then stops for months, then starts again, then stops again. Well let me tell you something, life sure has a way of kicking you square in the teabag while you are already down. My wife and I finally found a property out in the country that fit almost all of our needs (still no dedicated shop space.) We moved in and of course started a myriad of house projects. She had gone over two years without any evidence of disease, but shortly after getting rocked by her second covid vaccine (required by her work) her breast cancer showed up in her lungs. There's no way to prove causation but there is definitely a noticeable correlation between getting the vaccine and having a reoccurrence. The cancer has spread to her adrenal glands, surrounding lymph nodes, her liver, and most recently her brain. She is a fighter and the toughest gal I know, and her last scans showed some improvement on the new drug so we remain hopeful.

Onto the reason I am posting today:
img_0759_f4c3caaf403390890c4c682d4195157be599b1c0.jpg

The pickup has made it to my garage! I'll have limited time to work on it, but at least its home. I need to go through everything I have already done, and refamiliarize myself with what has been done, and what still needs to be done. Unfortunately, the latter is a much larger list. The brakes are covered in surface rust from being stored in a barn that flooded last winter so I may need to purchase those again.

Thanks for staying tuned, I'll try and be better about posting updates.

Dang! You're both in my thoughts. More important things than this to focus on.

Buy the biggest "white board" that you can afford and hang it on that wall. Put your list up there and any sketches or notes or whatever. Might save you some repetition of things done.

I wouldn't worry too much about the surface rust on the rotors. If the system was sealed up you may be OK. If water got into the calipers they're likely toast. I use a body work long sanding board with 80 grit on it to knock rust off of rotors and to 'condition' them for new pads.

It is hard to keep momentum especially when you have to stop for parts, life etc. But the white board list is a good idea so that if you have to stop for parts you can Look at your list and just work on another while you are waiting.

My prayers for you and your wife. You know your priorities but sometimes wrench therapy is good too.

Cancer sucks.

Cancer killed my wife. She survived breast cancer twice only to be taken down by a brain tumor. The FJ40 project saved my ass ... both while she was sick, and my recovery after.

Hang in there buddy.

Thank you for all the kind words.

Pappy, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My wife had initially "beaten" the cancer, for it only to come back after being forced to get the covid vaccine to keep her job. After a craniotomy and radiation, her brain is now clear of the cancer. Unfortunately she still has several masses in her lungs, adrenal gland, liver, and on her esophagus making it tough for her to eat. So far it's a daily struggle for her to sleep and eat enough to maintain her current weight.

I agree with wrench therapy. I just finished getting a golf cart running that my father left me when her passed last year. My plan is to put it up for sale to help fund my vehicle projects.

Thoughts & prayers to you both.🙏🙏🙏

There is nothing that I can say here that doesn't sound trite. Damn. I am really sorry to hear this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom