Builds Build: Too Tall (1 Viewer)

Spent the holiday break at my BILs, but found a few minutes in the shop last night. Installed a reman Denso starter:
img_1536_ea98e6fb54a741e3852898f3d940003e5898fd0b.jpg

And an Aisin Slave:
img_1535_329e30dec9d9bd4777932ec630efe6649c08e603.jpg

I've got an Aisin master sitting on the shelf, decided to let the hardware soak in PB blaster overnight before trying to remove the old one.

clx16

SILVER Star
Very cool build and that body looks to be very straight. Going to be nice! Would love more info on that rotor caliper combo you went with. My first gen isn't as nice starting out but i am about to get cracking on it as soon as I get this 100 series out of the garage.

Thanks man, I'm hoping to get all of the spray paint off and go with original patina at some point. 94 V6 Calipers and ~87 FJ60 rotors.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Very cool build and that body looks to be very straight. Going to be nice! Would love more info on that rotor caliper combo you went with. My first gen isn't as nice starting out but i am about to get cracking on it as soon as I get this 100 series out of the garage.
Yep, V6 calipers, FJ60 rotors. Make sure you also use the 1" master cylinder. I would also recommend the larger brake booster too.

Last edited:

ntsqd

technerd
FWIW I found that the OME front springs for my '84 coupled with the GM 63's under the rear using a WFO spring transplant kit worked really well with Bilstein 5100/7100's. I set the WFO shackle hangers to butt up against the rear of the OE shackle hangers which gave me the Deaver Spring's recommended shackle angle. Most who rode in the truck, even desert racers, couldn't believe how well it worked as a leaf spring truck. I chased desert racers for over a decade with it and was usually the smoothest ride on wash-board roads during our Nevada trips. I ran BFG 33-10.50 A/T's exclusively. I found that 30 psi on those worked well on pavement and that I rarely needed to drop below 20 psi in the dirt. I know that it's sacrilegious, but I rarely aired down at all as I didn't need to for the sake of ride quality or traction.

As for brakes I don't get why folks insist on a home-brew combination when they could simply order ALL of the V6 4rnnr brake parts (booster, M/C, etc.) and have an excellent system from one donor that is easy to remember.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input about the suspension, I'm sure I'm going to hate the way this thing rides, so I may start to collect parts to do what you mentioned.

As far as the brakes I believe the way the rotors mount to the solid axle hubs is different than the IFS hubs that come on the V6 runners hence why I needed to use the rotors from the FJ60

ntsqd

technerd
The rotor part I get, but mixing and matching the booster and M/C to end up with what the V6 4rnnr already has doesn't make any sense to me. I am a brake snob and I now own a V6 4rnnr. It's pedal feel is the best that I've ever had in a Toyota truck.

I removed a couple leaves from the GM springs, and I ran the O/L leaf upside down.
i-vzgqCpR-M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom