(Build Thread) New Purchase - '95 Chopped 4Runner on Tons and 40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a chopped '95 4Runner crawler on tons that has a title snafu that makes me a little hesitant to pull the trigger. Truck has a Nevada title. The current owner never transferred the title to his own name. It is still titled to the person who sold it to him. He always trailered it to the trailhead, so he never felt the need to get a tag for it, and never got the title updated. I would obviously want a NC title for the truck in my name. What am I up against here? Y'all let me know what y'all think. Truck is currently located in SC. Going to check it out tomorrow.

@Roxx had some good insight back when I was considering buying a truck with a lost title.

If Nevada doesn't require a notary, then all you'll only need to sign as the new owner from the original owner.

If i go with you, you know you will buy it.

If Nevada doesn't require a notary, then all you'll only need to sign as the new owner from the original owner.

This is the answer as I understand title law in NC.

Basically the state(s) never knew that the guy you're buying from owned it. If the title is signed by the current title owner and Nevada is a non notary state, then you should be able to transfer to your name without issue.

Example. Transferring moonshine from ny to NC, easy, non notary state (and I owned it). Transferring my ferd from the dealer in TX to NC was a pain in the balls because it was bought through auction from LA (Louisiana), which is a notary state. Drove it home from Dallas and had to force the TX dealer to transfer the title to their name so they could transfer it to me after the fact, due to lack of notarization from the titled owner in LA.

In short, easy peasy if Nevada is a non notary state and the current owner didn't do any state level paperwork. It's as if the current owner never had it. If Nevada is a notary state, that would be difficult to sort out.

The idea was to buy a beater truck that Nathan and I could run more difficult trails and not have to worry about taking body damage. The idea of a beater truck quickly escalated into 3 links, coilovers, tons and 40's. We'll just have to see how it goes when we go look at it. Y'all do make me feel a little better about the title thing though, and that's good.

Here is my sob story so take it for what it’s worth based on your scenario.

Bought lemonade from individual in CLT. He had title from previous owner signed and notarized to him but hadn’t transferred to his name yet. I was I hurry and bought truck and took title with me. Subsequently mailed (usps priority) to individual I bought from and was going to pay him to get title in his name and then sign/notarize to me.

Well…s*** happened and mail was ‘lost’. So now I have bill of sale but no title. Previous owner owner dead (or likely so) so…my option is a bonded title. Pay fee (insurance charge so NC doesn’t get sued if stolen) and then have vehicle inspected, done.

I haven’t finished the process but based on what I know it should be straightforward.

I also bought a boat from a state that doesn’t do titles, just registrations. Same for trailers. Georgia specifically. Took no time to get NC title for boat but took 8-9 months for NC dmv to finish lien search and issue title.

You're going to need some space, so I'll take the 60 off your hands for you. Elizabeth started driver's ed this month...

FWIW I've bought many vehicles from out of state and titled here in SC. I think one of the keys here is what the registering state requires, SC does not require the title to be notarized. But when I bought a bike from a kid in NC many years ago NC did require that, but it wasn't in his name, which I didn't check before leaving and it was hours to drive back to sort out. And I figured getting it sorted out was going to be a crap shoot anyway. However, in SC I could get a formal bill of sale signed by the seller. Long story short I left the DMV with a formal BoS and return the next day with it signed "by the seller" and got title transferred.

If you have friends or family in SC you might look at that avenue as a intermediary to getting an NC title long term. Once the SC title is issued you can change ownership again.

Also, you can buy an acre of land in BFE SC for a couple grand, have the county assign an address and then have the local Post Office forward all the mail to that address to your NC address. Then title your vehicles in SC, where there is no need for annual inspections.

I can help you with the SC path if needed Dave

Did you buy it?

To echo what everyone has said..... title signed by previous owner but not the guy in SC and NV is a non notary state then you are fine.

If it is a notary state, previous owner didn't sign the title, SC guy signed it where you would, SC guy lost title etc.... there are ways around that. I do now have the 80 in my name despite the person who sold it back to me ghosting Jeremy and I and never sending either of us the title. Did a vermont title and then transferred it to WA.

Last edited:
There's always the Vermont option. Never tried it myself, but it seems legit. Lots of videos on YouTube if you want more info.

So...yeah....I bought it. Details:

1995 one ton 4runner. Power windows and door locks.
5vz-fe swapped from 98 t100 with low miles. Custom exhaust from a local exhaust shop. Bomb proof motor mounts.
R150f 5speed Trans.
12 gallon fuel cell in rear with factory fuel sender. Gas gauge works on the dash.
Dana 60 front high pinion re tubed and sleeved for passenger drop. 5:38 gears 35 spline chromo shafts. Yukon hardcore hubs And a spartan locker.
Sterling 10.25 rear 5:38 gears Detroit locker and disk brakes. Stock shafts.
stainless braided brake lines.
1 ton master cylinder
40” procomp x terrains. Brand new
17” dirty life aluminum bead locks. Brand new.
3 link front with all ruff stuff 1-1/4”Heims 2”x1/4”dom links sleeved with 2.5x1/4” dom. Fox coil overs with pac springs.
Custom frame from the firewall forward.
Trail gear rear leaf springs frenched into frame for low ride height.
Poly bumpstops all 4 corners. (Air bumps would be nice)
Dual cases 2:28 f&r.
Low range off road dual case crossmember with custom skid built on.
Flat belly
Corbeau Baja SS Seats in the front with seat sliders. Stock rear bench seat. I have 4point harnesses for 4 seats not installed yet.
Tapped ifs steering box and surplus center ram for hydro assist. All ruff stuff one ton tre’s. SORD high steer kit.
Auto meter oil pressure gauge/pillar mount.
Kenwood deck with 2 6x9’s behind the rear seat.
Back chopped and glass moved up behind the seat. I’m 6’2” tall and have plenty of leg and head room in the back seat.
Hybrid exo/in cab cage tied into the frame. Sliders cut and welded in place of factory rockers for higher ground clearance. A lot of custom fab in this rig.
Smitty built xrc 9500 winch.

Here's what it looked like when I got it:
IMG_5544[1].JPG
IMG_5545[1].JPG
IMG_5547[1].JPG

Previous owner flopped it on the driver's side and gave it some character. He busted up the driver side headlight, marker light and fender, so he chopped all that off. Plan is to somehwhat restore it back to its former glory and make it street legal again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom