BUILD: 1997 Lexus LX420 (Operation Debacle) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gotcha, so the mount comes welded to the arm already?
Not exactly, but the arms come pre drilled for the reinforcing tubes (pic) that prevent the arm from getting crushed when you tighten down the mounting bolts. So, I imagine this is where 4x4Labs felt the carrier was best positioned for various ranges of tire.

IMG_4256.jpg

Also, I got my White Knuckle Sliders and GIS skid plate installed. I had a local place powder coat the sliders to match the Dissent Offroad two-tone bull bar bumper they're making for me.

...gratuitous shots of Nevada Pinstriping to follow:

FFE236C3-C5A1-490E-AE91-6D0FF6E268E2.jpeg

Last edited:
If you dont know, now ya know....after powdercoating, take the swatch sample to your local paint supply company and have them rattle can you a can for touch up. Not many folk know this can be done, I have quite a few of my items I fab that need touching up from time to time, worked out great.

are you sound deadening?
Yep, absolutely. I put down about 60 ft.² of 80 mil butyl sound deadening. On top of that I went with a good layer of 1/2” Boom Mat to serve as an underlayment.

546616B4-3A2F-47B5-AD80-83612B8CBD3D.jpeg

E6C5AE41-E62E-41CB-A60F-88007ECBE0AB.jpeg

Last edited:
holy moly....that stuff is pricey.....i did get 175 sq' of the butyl/foil. I wonder if this underlayment would benefit inside the five doors "on top" of the butyl?

holy moly....that stuff is pricey.....i did get 175 sq' of the butyl/foil. I wonder if this underlayment would benefit inside the five doors "on top" of the butyl?
I thought about that. I would avoid putting it in the doors just due to the fact that some moisture will inevitably get past the window sashes. You don’t want this matting acting like a sponge and holding moisture in those spaces.

I took some of the scrap boom matting and applied it over the butyl rubber I rolled into the rear quarter panels. I kind of doubt I will notice a difference but I figured I had the material so why not.

I just realized it simply jute padding, they used to use that for cheaper carpet padding.

Carpet is a pain in the a**. I am less than impressed with the quality of the carpet kit I bought from stock interiors. I wasn’t expecting OEM quality for $400 but no matter what I tried, there was an excess of material between the second row hump and the major dividing partition at the front edge of the front seats. This meant there was a surplus of material I had to try to squeeze under the seats in order to hide the waviness. I’m sure it won’t be bad once the seats are installed but I spent way too much time trying to make it perfect I’ll need to end up with something that looks so so.

FC7E5966-549E-4460-88DD-3D9B649B02CF.jpeg
DB319C77-E031-49F6-B81D-A017878A161A.jpeg

I went with the Franklin Armory wet tumbler and it’s a world of difference cleaning the brass.
I’m lucky to have a very affordable anodizing and zinc plating shop in town. I basically run all my hardware through my wet tumbler and drop it off for new zinc. $50 bucks and a couple days later I get nice shiny zinc plated stuff back.
3E097583-E6F1-4BBC-9012-FFB4B0FC6397.jpeg
72389C46-B68A-48FB-9289-020B7917F0A3.jpeg

Wow that was a clean rig to start with. Awesome and insane build!
Thanks!

The eagle eyed among you will no doubt notice the odd shape of the LX450 disc changer and bracket. 😉

I deleted the six disc changer but left the bones of the housing in place in order to fit my Yaesu FTM–400. Doing so allows me to access the SD card without having to dismantle my center console.

8667C07D-BB07-43EE-BE0F-A1C770D49501.jpeg
18C49D8D-0B04-4FCB-8E39-71F90C205CB2.jpeg

And deleting the factory woofer left a large cavity for aftermarket buss bars, fuse/relay panels AND my Yaesu external speaker pointed right at the back of the woofer grille.

40442216-173D-4EA0-98B6-A1FFE9D81953.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom