BUILD: 1997 Lexus LX420 (Operation Debacle) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what is electronic diesel conversion?
9C57A4AE-7908-4347-ADCF-BC05525B09C3.jpeg
:bounce2:

What transmission are you going to run behind the FTE?
I bought a H152 from Jonathan which should actually be somewhere over the Pacific right now but I actually think I'm going to keep this FTE paired to the A750F 5-speed. I strongly desire a manual but need to keep the family wagon wife-friendly. I'm hearing the 5-speed is pretty sweet behind the FTE.
The H152 will go in the other LX450 I'm putting together for a friend.

I bought a H152 from Jonathan which should actually be somewhere over the Pacific right now but I actually think I'm going to keep this FTE paired to the A750F 5-speed. I strongly desire a manual but need to keep the family wagon wife-friendly. I'm hearing the 5-speed is pretty sweet behind the FTE.
The A750 is a good option for sure. I could not imagine running 4.88’s with my H152 unless I never had to encounter a highway.

One day I’ll have the budget to do this. Too many projects right now but I do want to do a 1HDFT swap behind an auto.

Nice work for sure but she was in nice shape from the beginning. Mine's a greenie as well, just hope I can polish it back to like new paint. I'm here from a search of the A750F as a replacement for the A343F in my 97 stock motor. Not sure if it's worth the expense or not. Still on the fence about doing an LS swap along with a 6L80 or 6L90. The stock motor isn't strong but I still like the reliability. Maybe I'll look into doing the same diesel swap you're planning. Nice work. I lived in Elko for a short time while working for the railroad. Gave it up for work in Iraq.

31F28A4B-025D-416E-ACA6-7493E0F3A365.jpeg

Nice work for sure but she was in nice shape from the beginning. Mine's a greenie as well, just hope I can polish it back to like new paint. I'm here from a search of the A750F as a replacement for the A343F in my 97 stock motor. Not sure if it's worth the expense or not. Still on the fence about doing an LS swap along with a 6L80 or 6L90. The stock motor isn't strong but I still like the reliability. Maybe I'll look into doing the same diesel swap you're planning. Nice work. I lived in Elko for a short time while working for the railroad. Gave it up for work in Iraq.

View attachment 2974109
From what I understand converting an A750F to a 80 series is no small feat. That said, where there’s a will there’s a way and anything is possible with the appropriate amount of time, frustration, and money.😊

The first and second row heated seats work like a champ and I’ve tucked it all away, along with my Yaesu FTM-400, inside the center console:

23DFE403-4FFD-412D-9BBD-2DF88F6B6972.jpeg

I have the new Baja Design LP9s mounted up and am in the process of trying to rig them up through a 3-position factory switch coupled to the high-beam lighting circuit.
70FC9FB4-465F-44C4-9D4F-6D0553E30E8C.jpeg

This is my theoretical diagram:

BA0E6FAD-5336-437A-8A35-85FCAFFF1BAA.jpeg

I also hacked together a very temporary QPM just so I could be sure to have some means of charging my house battery, running the fridge, and monitoring the battery status. I’m hoping my AW’S QPM will ship any day now but I’m just running out of time before Moab.

F17B514E-0E5E-4D60-9389-0185E3C2E057.jpeg

3BCF9F5E-07CD-4730-BC9E-DCB485C2A375.jpeg

Nice meeting you Lee at Cruise Moab. Looking forward to following this build thread. Nice truck!

Just need a wiring harness and this oil burner is going to go in. I found this guy, Thrashlux, in Australia who grafts together harnesses so I shipped him an 80-Series engine harness and he's providing a LHD UK spec FTE harness for merging with the 80 wiring.

In the meantime, I picked up a set of Slinky 3" heavies to upgrade my rear springs. I've added a Snowmaster fridge and a set of ARB drawers which have gone a long way to making the truck more organized and convenient when I'm working up at our remote property on weekends. I'm going to have to relocate the gargantuan 2000W inverter as it interferes with the ARB deck. I will probably add a third house battery and relocate the Redarc charger to the rear to be close to all of the components. I think I'm going to need to run a pair of Group 27 batteries in parallel for this diesel starting circuit but I still want to have an isolated house battery.

B2F419C4-AC22-4FEF-B386-4FF162C9DBDD.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking great my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom